What's new

Bacon Poll #2 -- Crispy or soft cooked?

Bacon Poll #2 -- Crispy or soft cooked

• Crispy

• Medium (harder, almost crispy)

• Soft

• Art is King!

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, there's only one way to properly cook Bacon. Low and slow in a well seasoned cast iron skillet for 20-30 minutes. Eventually it'll start smelling so good you'll turn the heat way up just to finish and you (and everyone else) won't even care if its soft or crispy :lol:

On the rare occasions I'm able to cook Bacon as slow as I want, I prefer it soft and chewy. Only in salads do I want crunchy Bacon.

Crispy can mean different things to different people. When it comes to bacon, I like it when the crispy is close to what a potato chip is. To do that it has to bacon with a high fat content. The Oscar Meyer Center Cut is not that because of the high lean content in it. To me, that stuff is hard when it is done cooking.

Crisp is usually how I like it.
But when I have the time, I do cook the bacon really slow, like for 30-45 minutes on low heat, that makes for an intense taste and a great "chewy" consistency.

+1 with an almost crisp on the edges

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For the Mrs. and I...thick Bacon...medium (harder, almost crispy), is the only way. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php

Let's put this into perspective. All bacon is good regardless if it is crispy, medium or soft. But I voted medium as I prefer it on the softer side.

Medium. I put my bacon on a cold cookie sheet, insert in a cold oven, then turn the heat to 450 degrees. By the time the oven hits that temp, they are done. Not curled up, has some crispness yet still meaty inside. Got this suggestion from Alton Brown, BTW.
I use this method and it works like a charm every time. With my oven I set it at 400 degrees.

Medium.
Cook slow, but turn up the heat in the end so some edges will be more crispy and darker then others.
Should be able to bend them without breaking it.
For my taste, of course, that is.

I chose medium. It has to be crisp, but not crunchy, the fat has to be melted and brown, and there has to be slight burning without it being black. Not picky am I?

Cooking bacon for my gpa, I learned to not get it crispy or he literaly would kill you. Anything that was somewhat crispy was considered a greivous sin. This is how I discovered baking bacon, much safer and harder to in his words, burn the bacon.
Personally I like mine to be a little bit crispy, with some floppiness to it.

Top Bottom