What's new

Recommend a good Sci-Fi Book

For something classic and old, the Foundation series is excellent. A little more recent, but also quite good would be perhaps Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert Forward. Come to think of it, Rocheworld by Forward was also very good. The Heechee series starting with "Gateway" by Frederik Pohl is also good stuff.

+1 for the Ender series books from Orson Scott Card.

I would also recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series if you can deal with not putting your kindle down for hours at a time :)

+ 1 on Orson Scott Card - the Ender series. I also see a few Robert A. Heinlein books listed - the Foundation series and Starship Troopers (forget the movie, the read is excellent). Stranger In A Strange Land by Heinlein is an all time classic, you grok?

Ford

• Dan Simmons - Hyperion (then you will want to read The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion).
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series (too many to list).
  • Joe Abercrombie - The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One), Before They Are Hanged (The First Law: Book Two), Last Argument of Kings (First Law: Book Three)
  • Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1), The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 2)

I've read all of these except the books by Abercrombie. The fact that I enjoyed all of the others lead me to put The Blade Itself on my short list. I agree with many of the other recommendations. I've read just about everything written by Card, Stephenson and Wolfe and you can't go wrong with any of it.

• The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (7 book series)
  • The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
  • Any "Xanth" novel by Piers Anthony. (Only if you have a sense of humor)

I've read all of these except the books by Abercrombie. The fact that I enjoyed all of the others lead me to put The Blade Itself on my short list. I agree with many of the other recommendations. I've read just about everything written by Card, Stephenson and Wolfe and you can't go wrong with any of it.

You are in for a real treat. The Bloody Nine is one of my favorite characters in a long while.

Another author that writes a great book is Stephen Baxter! Although older, the "Xeelee sequence" books are very interesting. I've also read his "Destiny's Children"
and "Manifold Trilogy" series. He seems to paint with words. :thumbup1:

Heh heh heh, as an avid sci-fi reader, let me introduce you to...

Chris Moriarty: Spin Control. Spin State.
Kameron Hurley: God's War. Infidel (in october)
Charles Yu: How To Live Safely In A Science Fictional Universe.
Ken Macleod: Fall Revolution series (four books)
China Mieville: Embassytown. City and the City (choosing standalone novels)
Joel Shepherd: Cassandra Kresnov series (three books)
Justina Robson: Living Next Door To the God of Love
Karl Schroeder: Virga series (three books)
Charles Stross: Halting State. Rule 34.
Hannu Ranujemi: The Quantum Thief.
C.S. Friedman: This Alien Shore
Peter Watts: Blindsight
Rosemary Kirstein: Steerswoman series (easily spoiled so don't read reviews, first book is weakest, get the combo one/two edition--The Steerswoman's Road)
Emma Bull: Bone Dance
Kelly Eskridge: Solitaire

Okay, that's enough relatively hard science fiction. It should be noted that few of these are easily digestible. I only chose brilliant stuff.

Rosemary Kirstein: Steerswoman series (easily spoiled so don't read reviews, first book is weakest, get the combo one/two edition--The Steerswoman's Road)

Okay, that's enough relatively hard science fiction. It should be noted that few of these are easily digestible. I only chose brilliant stuff.

Halting State was good!!! I forget about it when I tell people about it.

The Lies of Locke Lamora was decent, could have been better but it passed the time really well for a first time author. (I forgot who wrote it and I'm too lazy to google)

Steven Erickson - A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Brandon Sanderson - The Stormlight Archive
R. Scott Bakker - The Prince of Nothing

I've read Spin State, Halting State, Blindsight and the Kresnov books. All excellent picks. I put Rule 34 on the Kindle and plan to look up the others listed. Thanks.

Yet another +1 for The Ender Series. As a series it's terrific. Book 1, Enders Game, is a quick enjoyable read and you may well pick the ending mile off. Don't let that put you off the whole series. Book 2, Speaker For The Dead, is one of my favorites. Really well written.

There's a novel by a Melbourne author, Max Barry, called "Jennifer Government". It was a great holiday read on my last trip. It's set in present day of an alternative history, where the USA has taken over much of the world and corporations control much of what's going on. A social comedy, it's "science not-too-far-away".

proxy.php

Brilliant work.

Top Bottom