What's new

Gillette Black Tip and Blue Tip Question

I know that both are considered mild and gentle razors. But which one is the mildest and which more aggressive? What is the difference in the blade gap? Or is there so little difference that it doesn't matter?

Thanks and enjoy those shaves.

Hmmm.....the way I read the chart was that it was a "black handle" not a "black tip". Maybe I got it wrong.

I say that because I have a 1951 blade tip SuperSpeed with the aluminum handle and was wondering about the comparison.

Thanks.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've used both the aluminum & steel versions of the 1951 Black-tips. They are both on the mild side, but gave a smooth shave with a sharp blade. On the other hand, I tried the Blue Tip a while ago & it was so mild it was useless for me. YMMV of course

The Black Tip deffinitely more aggressive than the Blue Tip...I have a '52 Steel Handle which is just a tad less aggressive than the Red Tip...The Aluminum I under stand feels a little milder because of its lighter weight...But they are both aside from the different Handle material and the plastic TTO knobs, 40's style Super Speeds which make them one of the more aggressive of the Super Speeds...Of course the whole SS line is considered on the mild side with the Red Tip the most aggressive followed by the 40's styles...I hate to do this cause it doesn't really work but my Black Tip is probably around the #6 setting on my Slim Adjustable. That being said, it is around the #6 setting but it is lighter and more manueverable and is more forgiving...All this is also very YMMV...

Hmmm.....the way I read the chart was that it was a "black handle" not a "black tip". Maybe I got it wrong.

I say that because I have a 1951 blade tip SuperSpeed with the aluminum handle and was wondering about the comparison.

Thanks.

Sunny beach. I just went back and your right, my misread!

I was under the impression from previous threads that the black tip was the less aggressive version of the 40s SS. But since they came in steel and aluminum handles that may not be the case. If you can get your hands on some feeler gauges you may want to measure the blade gap and see were it falls on the chart. Sorry bout that!

Jay

Edit-Some poking around, it appears the Black Tips were only made in 51-52 and they were made in steel and aluminum handles because there was a brass shortage. So that would I guess put them at the same aggressiveness as a standard 40s SS which is a bit more than the Blue Tip.

Last edited:
You could take two identical razors with identical blade, and place them in the hands of two individuals to shave with, and the end result could be like night and day, what works for some might not work for others, or visa versa

As mentioned, I have an aluminum handled black tip that works pretty well. Very mild but very comfortable shaver. I was just wondering which was more aggressive, the black tip or blue tip.

Thanks for all the replies. Now to make up my fickeled mind.

As mentioned, I have an aluminum handled black tip that works pretty well. Very mild but very comfortable shaver. I was just wondering which was more aggressive, the black tip or blue tip.

Thanks for all the replies. Now to make up my fickeled mind.

Why put yourself through all that thinking and difficult choice making?
You need both!
(It'll happen sooner or later anyway)

Top Bottom