What's new

Is the idea of DE shaving better than the actual act?

I'll jump in with the inevitable suggestion that you also try an SE razor (Gem style or injector). Some people (including me) get the consistently best shaves with those.

Beyond the hardware, I'm a wet shaver for the self-nurturing and admittedly ritualistic aspects of the process as much as I am the superior way my face feels after I'm done.

That's not a priority for everyone, of course.

Plus, one of the big reasons I started looking into DE shaving is because I'm amazing cheap. :001_tongu haha.

Perhaps it's fitting, then, that you're getting mediocre results from a higher-tech and (originally) relatively expensive DE razor. Simpler could well be better for you. Maybe you should try a simple (and cheap!) three-piece or non-adjustable TTO. You can always keep the Fatboy around as a conversation piece.

I suspect that most people can get a better shave from a DE than from a cart, if they put the effort into perfecting their technique. But if it's not worth it to you spend the time and effort, and you don't mind paying whatever absurd retail price that cartridges go for, use the carts. Getting the technique down requires a touch of obsessiveness that not everyone has, or wants to have. In my own experience, the obsessiveness has proved well worth it, but I have a relatively heavy beard and found cart shaving uncomfortable as well as expensive. As we love to say here, YMMV. Your face, your rules.

It is all about finding what gives you the best shave. That being said, I suggest trying MWF with Feather blades before giving up on the DEs. Over using a DE blade can result in troublesome shaves. I suggest trying only 2 or 3 shaves on a blade. Remain focused while DE shaving and always maintain a very light touch.

I also suggest trying the wetshave prep and after shave with the cartridge razor.

HTH, Good Luck.

Last edited:
My typical DE shave is better than anything I ever got with carts, and it leaves my skin happier too. If we've chosen to shave with inferior results because it's more romantic -- hell, we're all a bunch of saps. :lol:

Well, we may all be a bunch of saps anyway :blush: but my experience is that I have much better skin condition and much better shaves since I switched to DE shaving. I suspect that at least half of this gain is from taking care of my skin more carefully, which I certainly do far better now than when I used either electrics or cartridges. The remainder of the gain is probably from enhanced technique over time -- the first few DE shaves following my return were about as good (in terms of shave closeness) as the old cartridge shaves.

I think you'd need to work on your DE razor technique, getting very smooth BBS shaves with a new (to you) piece of equipment. I'd agree with others that their are better razors than the Fatboy, I use a 59 SS and get great shaves, same with a 68 Knack, but with each "new" Vintage I purchased their was a learning period, not all DE's perform the same, just like a Mercedes drives differently than a Chevrolet.

Is the idea of DE shaving better than the actual act?

No. DE shaving is what you make it. My "idea" of DE shaving exactly corresponds to the "act" of DE shaving for me.

As to your last question, "Is it the idea and romance behind the 'real shaving' that makes it so appleaing (sp) or does it truly deliver a closer shave?", your attempt to draw a distinction between DE shaving ('real shaving') and other kinds of shaving is the reason you are confused. All shaving is real shaving. Using a DE, along with other traditional products, is just one way of doing it. The 'idea' of shaving this way does make it more appealing for some, but it does nothing to create a closer or more comfortable shave.

Your shaving experience consists of many components, only two of which are closeness and comfort. There is the process - preparation, choice of products (soap/cream) and their qualities, such as the feel and scent of each. Additionally, the hardware you select - razor and blade combination, kind of brush, etc. all affect the end results. Lastly, consider the degree of personal involvement in the whole enterprise.

People do a lot of things for different reasons. In the end you should do what works best for you. Be kind to yourself.

Last edited:
So here's the rub: Is it the idea and romance behind the 'real shaving' that makes it so appleaing or does it truly deliver a closer shave? I love the idea of using the '59, but I'm going to go with what gives me a better shave. Your thoughts?

I can get a DFS with a 2 blade Bic disposable dry shaving and a BBS shave with my Merkur 23C and lathering up. One takes me about 3 minutes the other about 15 minutes. The one is far more enjoyable than the other.

Maybe just have a play around with different razor/blade combo's until you find what is right. A futur was my first DE before joining B&B and I went through about 10 different razors and almost all the blade brands before I found the best combo for me was my futur and a shark blade. If money is a constraint, you can always just sell off what you accumulated once you find what works best.

I used a cartridge today though, and I can definitely get a great shave with one (todays was better than what I get with a DE) but it just doesnt last as long. If carts ultimately work for you, then go with them.

I used a Mach III for 20+ years (with the occasional Fusion thrown in) and was never able to go ATG with either. My shaves were WTG, got my face looking acceptable, and that's about the best I can say for it. The irritation level ATG (which, now that I've learned more about mapping my beard, turns out to be about 15 degrees XTG) was so bad that I couldn't ever do it without massive levels of ingrowns. Even taking 1 WTG pass, I still could only shave every other day due to irritation and ingrowns. With the DE, I can do a 4 pass shave and get DFS/BBS daily taking 2 days/week off to give my face a little break (and to sleep in). In 20 years of Mach III shaving, I never once faceturbated. That alone tells a tale of the difference in closeness. Obviously not everyone has the same story, but for me, DE shaving has far more to do with the closeness and comfort of my shave than anything (even price). If Mach III blades were suddenly the same price as DE's, I still wouldn't go back.

I must admit to enjoying the idea of using the old style shaving equipment, but in reality, if the shaves didn't look or feel better than cartridges (and i've gone through pretty much all of them since i started on Gilette sensor - never tried King of Shaves Azor though!) then i just wouldn't use them. My skin is MUCH better now, no ingrowns, it looks clearer, and i'm much less prone to getting any kinds of spots on my face. In fact i would say zero since i started DE (and more recently SE) shaving in early April. I'm hardly a veteran, but i see not reason for me personally to ever go back to carts.

But you should do what works best for you. One thing i like about these boards is the willingness to share opinions and respect (despite possibly disagreeing with) the opinions of others. Don't feel like you should force yourself to use DEs if carts work better for you!

i started with a yard sale red flair tip super speed 15+- years ago and continue still soley because of the ease of getting a bbs and the judge is my wife who tells me its bbs or not,you need to try some different set ups to achive your own quality shave but ill never go back to plastic set multi blade trash again,not to mention the cost,even gillette admits that all the hype of cart's is to sell more product,3,4,5,6 blades instead of 1,money money,money.....:{

I like the idea of traditional wetshaving quite a bit. The ritual, the gear, the options, doing something that my grandfather and father used to do - it has a lot of appeal for me. Those things have all contributed to my enjoyment. It's a much bigger learning curve than going with a cartridge, and a whole lot more variables - but I've found my shaves are better, skin healthier, less ingrowns etc. If the shave were worse at the end of the day, it wouldn't be worth it.

Well, when I was using cartridges I'd shave 2-3 times a week. It was a burden. The shaves were OK, but nothing to write home about.

Now I get a BBS everyday I care to produce one, which is every day. If I'm going to take the time to lather up, etc, I'm going for the gusto! I have no irritation and I can't possibly get a closer shave. I couldn't do that with a cartridge. Heck right now, faceturbating, my face now is as smooth as a fresh cart shave and it's been 12 hours after my blade shave.

My wife tells me my face is baby butt smooth. She never told me that previous.

I've been shaving for 50 years and DE wet shaving for the past 15 or so and it took me a long time to get all the ducks in a row to get a perfect shave every time. I am amazed at how one lather can behave so poorly with one brush and brilliantly with another; how one blade works fantastically with one razor and not very well with another; and how getting the angle of the razor head just right makes all the difference. I used to aim for a BaBoS- a Baby Bottom Shave- now I'm on to a BoBaS- a Bowling Ball Shave- and my sweetheart does notice and compliments me on it. I had to experiment with a lot of different combinations until I got it just right- and then I fiddle around and try a few other products and its marginally better or worse and I correct accordingly. I used to look at shaving as a chore and rushed and got razor burn and cuts and general unpleasantness- now I look forward to having a shave- I take my time and its enjoyable. Contemporary cartidge razors are easy to use and quick but expensive and not much fun in my experience- if you can afford the little bit of extra time and don't mind fiddling around finding the right combination of razor/blade/lather/brush/technique, I think wet shaving will give you a better shave and is a lot more pleasant way to start the day.

I used a Sensor for 20 years, with usually good results. My first 3 DE razors were TTO's, and I never could get a decent shave.
Now I use a 1940's fat-handle Tech, or the Merkur 45 Bakelite, and I almost always get a DFS. Love these razors!
That being said, if I'm in a REAL hurry, I'll still use the Sensor.

I do get results that my skin appreciates better with a DE, ALOT less irritation, and it just seems to be less effort required to remove the hair properly. As long as I take my time and shave with care I get fantastic results after only a fortnight of learning to shave DE. Hopefully when I learn even more I will end up with a great shave all over my face, even in the tricky areas.

Apart from that, I will also agree that the IDEA of DE shaving has alot to do with nostalgia/personal-zen. I love DE shaving for giving that opportunity to do more than just slap on some goo and drag some plastic across your face. You get to personally make your lather, the items usually please all of your senses, nice materials like metal and wood for touch and sight, great scents from the products, but I am sure they don't taste great. It is all about enjoying time to yourself, respecting your own body, knowing your body, and then as a result getting a damn good shave that impresses you and others.

Most people will have a personal hobby that they enjoy and will put rediculous amounts of time discussing with others and enjoying, but every interest group will have the exact same thing. Watch forums would have to be almost iconic for the original post, where I have seen many many many people state things about wearing $900+ watches that are inferior in time keeping ability, yet will snob you out for wearing a cheaper basic watch. Obviously there are many great expensive watches, and ones with fancy functions, but yada yada yada.

I love watches, but I don't want to spend big bucks on a collectable or designer brand. I am happy with my basic, black leather banded Citizen watch. It does the job, and looks attractive in the course of my work.
It is very similar to this model, but without the day displayed, only the date. Cost me $99 and works perfectly, and people that aren't brand snobs think its fine.
proxy.php

edit: and same as many, I keep a Hydro cart razor and blades handy for ultra quick shaving or if I can't seem to focus enough to shave my chin and neck.

I get comparable results with both. My trusty M3 is used on days I'm in a hurry and gives a perfectly acceptable shave. On days I'm not in a hurry, it's my 40's style superspeed with a wal-mart personna blade. Both give results close to one another. The latter is much cheaper though.

Top Bottom