What's new

What were your favourite toys as a child?

Legion

Staff member
I had a Six Million Dollar Man action figure, complete with a look through eye, power lifting arm that would lift when you pushed a button on his back, and his rocket capsule. I also loved Matchbox/ Hot Wheels cars and G.I. Joe stuff. I also still have my Crossman model 760 air rifle. The kind you pump. It's at least 30 years old and still works almost like new. Still kills rabbits that eat my wifes flowers!

I had him! Did yours have the backpack that had the crystal radio in it that would never work properly? I saw one in an antique shop yesterday. Didn't look at the price.

Legos, K'NEX, Better Blocks
Oh, and the Hot Wheels racetracks, which were usually built the right way once then deconstructed into car launchers... Used to get in so much trouble for firing cars across the room! :laugh: hehehe

- ice

I don't recall the crystal radio, but he had a plastic insert that came out of his arm. It resembled a circuit board of some sort.

Depends on age.

Very young- Big Wheel and Sit and Spin
Pre teen- Various crap, baseball more than anything
Teen- model kits, bb gun, and finally an 1851 Navy CVA kit.

Legion

Staff member
I don't recall the crystal radio, but he had a plastic insert that came out of his arm. It resembled a circuit board of some sort.

He had compartments in his arms and legs. I can't remember where everything went but there was a scuba mask and a blue plastic gun in them. His arms had rubber skin (which perished) and you rolled it back to reveal all the robotic stuff underneath. There were a few different versions, according to the internet. Mine came with a rubber iron girder it could grip with spring loaded hands, and a white helmet, and the radio backpack.

What about Viewmaster? Any fans of those? That is one thing I do still have a collection of. I like the early Bakelite ones, and the reels from the 40's and 50's.

I still have the glasses and wig that came with mine! Oh, it might have been the girls version my sister got the same year. Too funny.

Actually, I loved Super Ball! I got a new one every year until they stopped making them. I also collected the Corgi Cars. I think my favorites were the original Sawyers View Master reels; still got 'em!

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
I still have the glasses and wig that came with mine! Oh, it might have been the girls version my sister got the same year. Too funny.

Actually, I loved Super Ball! I got a new one every year until they stopped making them. I also collected the Corgi Cars. I think my favorites were the original Sawyers View Master reels; still got 'em!

You can still get Superballs! Tricky, but I bought a couple a year or so ago off the internet. Still made by Wham-O from Zectron, and still capable of breaking every ornament in the house. The ones I got look like this...

proxy.php

Well, I have to order one! I can still recall the smell of the super ball when it was new; great memories!

You can still get Superballs! Tricky, but I bought a couple a year or so ago off the internet. Still made by Wham-O from Zectron, and still capable of breaking every ornament in the house. The ones I got look like this...

proxy.php

A company in Brooklyn NY named MACO made incredibly realistic plastic WW2 era guns, helmets, grenades, bayonets, wooded night sticks, leather holsters-GI 45, M1 carbine, 50 cal tripod mounted MG, etc that shot blue plastic bullets (spring powered). They were so realistic they could not be sold in NYC! It was the 1950s and attitudes were very different. These were the weapons that kept us free and were felt to be entirely appropriate toys (for boys). They even made a mortar! Great stuff!!

Let's see...

G.I. Joe

Lincoln Logs

Hot Wheels

Cap guns, any/all toy guns really. I wanted to be a cowboy. I wasnt allowed to have a BB gun till i was 12 and then I didnt care lol

Plastic Army Men

Also, I loved riding my bike!

These and add Tonka Toys & a Big Wheel for me.............man I loved that big wheel, I wore holes in the plastic tires.

This is what happened to lawn darts!

$1159254139615_383.jpg

My favorite toy was DEFINITLEY Legos! For some reason I used to film myself building legos in my bedroom... Don't ask my why, I was a strange child...

tonka trucks,gi joe,step father's model air planes(boy would he get pissed)rocks and dirt (for the tonka's) then a transistor radio,then bike,bb gun,and thats all i can remember for now

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Tonka trucks. I skinned myself up pretty bad once, after being dared to ride it down a hilly street. Hot wheels. Had track loop de looping all over the house. But the coolest toys were the ones we made. Bows from tree limbs, arrows with heads made by biting down bottle caps around the end for a crude point. Dirt clod catapults. Soap box derby type contraptions for riding down hilly streets banzai style. We didn't see any reason to add the complication of brakes. Tarzan ropes, swings, forts made from hay bales, boxes, etc. Slingshots? Of course. Swords and garbage can lid shields, lard can knight helmets. Boats that usually sank or capsized. Spears. Trash can and stove pipe robot suits. See a pattern there? Our toys were potentially dangerous but it was boys will be boys back then. We went out shooting at squirrels with our BB guns. We explored old factories and barns and caves. We had wars where we launched all sorts of missiles at each other and attacked with heavy edged and pointed weapons. Funny, but seldom did anybody ever get really hurt. We weren't as sheltered or protected then, and we knew instinctively to avoid injury. We learned a lot about life from our play, which is part of our evolutionary programming. Kids have to play "safely" now, and non-violently. They give vent to their natural aggression by taking guns to school and shooting up the place. Go figure. NO kid ever took a gun to school when I was that age. If there was a fight, a real fight and not one of our "wars", it was settled by fists, feet, and down in the mud grappling. NEVER did I see a kid actually try or want to kill another. Our play was rough but we weren't killers. I think we lost something when we started "improving" our ways of raising kids with all this feelgood social worker politically correct BS. JM2C

Top Bottom