What's new

Has anyone ever used a mixture of Oxyclean and near boiling water

to clean a DE adjustable such as a slim? I've used that mixture on stainless steel watchbands before and it gets all of the wrist cheese out of them with no damage to the band. I'm wondering what it might do to a razor.

Steve

too harsh.

anything with plastic bits or nontraditional finishes may not pull through that treatment.

the chemicals will do a number and the heat may exacerbate it. Some horror stories exist of chemical bleaching of vintage black coated handles and even worse; melted razors either internal mechanisms or actual 'pot-metal' components.

Oxy and boiling water is a sure-fire way to remove the black resin from a black handled super speed or super adjustable. It may take the paint off the slim.

OxyClean in hot tap water is fine for an initial cleaning of a cruddy razor, though. Used for a short soak, (a few minutes) not an extended soak, it'll loosen and flush a lot of gunk out of a TTO, and works quite well. But I wouldn't use it with boiling water.

-- John Gehman

I just got instant results freeing a frozen tto knob by pouring a few drops of Windex window cleaner down the tto hole in the head base-plate. This thing was very hard to move and nothing seemed to work...A few drops of Windex later and it works like new!!

Dawn dish soap, very hot water, and a toothbrush will clean anything and not remove or degrade any finish.

Surface oxidation that is not removed with soap and water will need polish, such as MAAS or Simichrome on Nickle-plated razors only. Gold razors get toothpaste.

Never use Oxyclean, ammonia, bleach, oven cleaner, or Brasso.

Scrubbing Bubbles is great to clean soap scum, but do not soak the razor in it and beware of paint on adjuster collars. It also has the same disinfecting agent in it as Barbicide.

Top Bottom