What's new

Basic Cuban Cigar Question

Looks like you have a plan! If you can, try a Trinidad and/or a Bolivar. Both are tasty and not as commonly mentioned. They are both available in various sizes.

Any particular model of each? I'm looking at the inventory list and they have the belicosos finos, corona gigante, coronas, immensas, gold medal, and royal coronas for Bolivar and the fundadores, reyes, robusto extra, and robusto T for Trinidad.

The belicosos is a good choice, but best to have this after a steak dinner!

You do not want to smoke this before breakfast. The Trinidad's I have had in toro and rubosto sizes.

You may want to try a couple and then purchase a couple more if you can. A toro may be too much, but a corona may be perfect in the same brand. Most tobaconists can help you find the perfect smoke this way.

The belicosos is a good choice, but best to have this after a steak dinner!

You do not want to smoke this before breakfast. The Trinidad's I have had in toro and rubosto sizes.

You may want to try a couple and then purchase a couple more if you can. A toro may be too much, but a corona may be perfect in the same brand. Most tobaconists can help you find the perfect smoke this way.

Crouse, Jim has given you some really good tips. I don't know what your budget is, but coronas are a good way to go without breaking the bank, especially if you want to try all the major brands (which I would recommend). Trini & Bolivar a exceptional cubans, I would also recommend getting a variety pack from General Cigar. You get 4 top notch cigars like Hoyo & Partagas and I believe they are in the corona type size, so they not to much $$. Just a little advice, no matter how many you buy, you'll wish you bought more !! Enjoy your trip :thumbup1:

I'd also like to mention Ramon Allones, specifically the Specially Selected (robusto size). The RASS is by far the best habano I have smoked. Being that it seems to be relatively obscure in comparison to Monte Cristo and Cohibas, it is probably less likely to be counterfitted.

Another outstanding habano is the El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme, also a robusto.

During your trip, the only surefire way to purchase an authentic habano is to purchase from an authorized HABanoS S.A. dealer. Just my advice.

Have fun, safe trip, and happy smoking!

DL

I'd also like to mention Ramon Allones, specifically the Specially Selected (robusto size). The RASS is by far the best habano I have smoked. Being that it seems to be relatively obscure in comparison to Monte Cristo and Cohibas, it is probably less likely to be counterfitted.

Another outstanding habano is the El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme, also a robusto.

During your trip, the only surefire way to purchase an authentic habano is to purchase from an authorized HABanoS S.A. dealer. Just my advice.

DL

Another couple of great smokes!

DL

Thanks for the additional suggestions! I definitely have a full list of smokes to try, and they will all be from an authorized Habanos dealer. The trip starts Wednesday, I'm pumped!

Take some zip lock baggies with you. If you decide to bring some cubans back, remove the bands and place the same type (marca) cigars in individual bags. You can place a piece of paper inside each bag and label them custom roll #1, custom roll #2, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

Take some zip lock baggies with you. If you decide to bring some cubans back, remove the bands and place the same type (marca) cigars in individual bags. You can place a piece of paper inside each bag and label them custom roll #1, custom roll #2, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

Keep in mind that all Customs officials have to do is SUSPECT that cigars being brought in to the US are of Cuban origin to confiscate them, hassle you, and potentially fine you. Bands or no bands. I highly recommend not bringing any cigars back with you. Doing so is just asking for trouble at your port of entry. Granted, you may zip through customs without being searched, but then again....

DL

Now that I'm back in town, time for an update on the trip and the smokes I tried!

The trip was fantastic, I went to Anguilla, St. Barths, and St. Martin. That being said, I tried a Cohiba Robusto, Ramone Allones SS, Partagas SDN4, and a Bolivar. I didn't get to as many as I had hoped, but feel I still had a solid crossection nonetheless. I'll briefly organize my thoughts on each one.

Ramone Allones SS - excellent cigar. It had an interesting kind of sweet taste to it, and was probably one of the smoothest cigars I have ever smoked. It was a fantastic recommendation and one I wouldn't hesitate to smoke again.

Partagas SDN4 - This was a stronger cigar to me. Not near as smooth as the Ramone Allones, but not a bad cigar. It was an enjoyable smoke, but definitely didn't have the wow factor that the Ramone Allones or the Cohiba had as far as taste goes.

Cohiba Robusto - This cigar was just downright awesome. I didn't want the smoke to end and smoked it all the way down to a tiny nub. It seemed to get better and better as time went by and had an extremely smooth and sweet taste to it. I actually said outloud "holy crap this is a good cigar" multiple times and then looked at the cigar as if staring at it would divulge the secrets of why it was so good.

Bolivar Tubo #1 - I didn't enjoy this cigar. It seemed to have an absence of flavor and was a very mild smoke to me. Coming off the heels of the Cohiba Robusto it was just very underwhelming.

All in all, the trip was awesome and I had some very good experiences with Cuban cigars. Hopefully it's not my last opportunity to smoke these beauties.

Sounds like you smoked some wonderful cigars. The RASS is a favorite of many smokers that I know. The CoRo is without a doubt a fabulous cigar also.

Everyone who smokes the occasional (or frequent) Habanos has their favorite, some of which, like the Monty #2, PSD4 and Cohiba Siglo VI, have become rather iconic over the years.

I've had a Montecristo #2 (my wedding day) and a Siglo VI (birth of my first child). They're both good, but I'd go with the Siglo VI hands down.

The cigar can still have dramatically different character and flavor from one size to the next though.
+1 ... the sizes and shapes of cigar have a profound impact on the taste. A 4x40 will taste different than a 7x52, even when both are made from the same components of filler, binder and wrapper.

The suggestion to taste-sample the smaller sizes is a good one, just keep in mind that if you find one you like, larger sizes in the same line will taste different.

Go with whatever size you normally smoke back at home.

For myself, I prefer the Robusto size (5x50) and the same cigar in a Churchill (7x50) doesn't taste right to me.

I have a few Cuban cigars in my humidor, I'm just waiting for an occasion worthy of firing it up. I've had them for about 15 years, and no event has even come close to being important enough. Maybe when I buy a house. Get married. Win the lottery. Not necessarily in that order.

The one time I smoked a true Cuban (Cohiba Esplendido,) I can assure you that it was an out of this world experience.

Now that I'm back in town, time for an update on the trip and the smokes I tried!

Ramone Allones SS - excellent cigar. It had an interesting kind of sweet taste to it, and was probably one of the smoothest cigars I have ever smoked. It was a fantastic recommendation and one I wouldn't hesitate to smoke again.

All in all, the trip was awesome and I had some very good experiences with Cuban cigars. Hopefully it's not my last opportunity to smoke these beauties.

Awesome!!! I hoped you would try a RASS! This is abosolutely my all-time favorite cigar.

You know, the debate usually goes something like this; "habanOs aren't any better than Dominicans". Or this; "HabanOs are way over-rated". I have found out that these statements usually come from people with no habanO experience. Now I know in the cigar world YMMV is a definate, but in my opinion, habanOs are still the best cigars made in terms of flavor profile. Nothing comes close. I smoke a lot of great non-habanos. Mostly Illusiones and La Flor Dominicanas. You just can't make an apples to apples comparison.

Glad you had a great trip and were able to experience some great cigars!

DL

Holy necro-thread, Batman!

Just for giggles, my favorite Cuban I found in Curacao was the Partagas Serie D, No 4. That is a stellar smoke. I love the Montecristo line up as well.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Here is a very useful website. You will find the information thorough and accurate. Trevor has put in a lot of time and sweat into this database and it shows... http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/index.htm .

For reviews of cuban cigars, I suggest... http://www.cigars-review.org/ .

Cohiba cigars have a wonderful grassy profile when very young. It is unique to the marca (brand). It has a taste/smell of fresh cut hay. Some people like it, some hate it. Along with the grass one can find wonderful vanilla bean flavors. Coffee is sometimes also present.

Montecristo's are devoid of the grass profile. Here you will find rich bean flavors of vanilla, cocoa and chocolate.

If you are heading south of the border, be careful in where you shop. You best bet would be to find a La Casa del Habano. This is the official cigar retailer of Habanos, S.A. the official Cuban marketer of all cuban tobacco products. Google La Casa del Habano and see if there is a shop where you will be visiting.

If not, see if you can find an authorized retailer where you will be staying. (I know, how will you find this information, you ask? I would assume some of the folks here in the Brown Leaf forum have mentioned where they picked up legitimate cuban cigars on their visits out of the country. You might also ask around on some of the cigar forums. Don't ask for online sources as they will throw tomatoes and beer cans at your avatar... lol. But if you tell them you are heading down to the islands or overseas, they will gladly steer you in the right direction.)

Here are a few Don'ts wherever you visit:

* Don't buy cigars from a guy on the street. They're fake.

* Don't buy from a guy selling on the beach. They're fake.

* Don't buy any glass top Cohiba Esplendido's. They don't exist. Cohiba Esplendido's aren't packaged in glass top boxes.

* If someone mentions that they have a friend of a friend that can get cuban cigars, run away.

Use common sense and you should be okay. Regardless of what you purchase, if it tastes good and you enjoy it, then you made a fine purchase.

EDIT: One last thing. If this is your first time smoking a cuban cigar, make sure you have something in your stomach. At the very least, a soda or juice will help out with the possible side effects of nicotine. I have seen a few folks turn green and get sick from the nicotine entering their system via the mouth. A meal/snack or a cold soda/juice will help avoid such problems.
Andre:
proxy.php
...you hit all the basics, but if you get a mature Cuban w/ some age (say 2-3yrs),...you're in heaven!
proxy.php

I happen to love Cubans and I was 'hooked' so many, many years ago I can't remember when it happened (most likely after smoking
my first Cuban). :lol1:

In my opinion, Cuban tobacco is like no other...and I too have smoked cigars from Mexico, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Nicaragua, but nothing compares to Cuban tobacco. That 'one & only: very distintive & unmistakeable' appearance (triple cap), strength, taste, flavor, aroma, , smoke and ash is only home to Cuba. The quality of a Cuban cigar is the result of the 'mystical'
proxy.php
union of five (5) elements;

1) Soil. (Volcanic...thanx Tony).

2) Varieties of Cuban cigar tobacco regions.

3) Climate.

4) The wisdom and knowledge of it's agricultural (planters, pickers, sorters ect...), & manufacture (graders, rollers, tasters ect...).

5) And most of all...the experience...since the 1700's ......it's in the Cuban Blood & Soul. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“All Cubans are Cigars...but not all Cigars are Cuban”. CBJ

PS Crouse...once you get to your 'destination'...light up a Cuban for us!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Cuban soil is classified as Volcanic. The residual volcanic ash in the soil has a unique blend of elements conducive to amazing tobacco flavor. This along with tradition, skill, and knowledge, combine to make the finest cigar in the world. Period.

Last edited:
Top Bottom