What's new

49 years ago today

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I find these memories of events very thought provoking. 49 years ago from 2011 is . . . what 1960? It is late . . . I don't want to do the exact math but that would make Wilt about 26.

I guess I was just a few days old when he did this . . . and certainly if you knew nothing about anything . . . you still understood who Wilt Chamberlain was . . . growing up in the 60's . . . I guess we go it from our dads . . . older brothers . . . along with Mickey Mantle in baseball . . . and being from Montreal a whole set of Hab hockey greats.

One of the things that this brings to mind is . . . maybe . . . how much the world was changing. Jackie Robinson born in 1919 . . . first Black Baseball player to make it into the major leagues . . . vs. Wilt Chamberlain born in 1936.

Wilt seems to have started his career with the Harlem Globtrotters . . . then moved on to . . . well this is where I'm just a kid. We have the NBA today . . . but I'm thinking we didn't have this all set up in the 60's so maybe the Globtrotters were a tad more serious than the entertainers I witnessed in the 70's and 80's.

Thanks Ouch for posting . . . when you normally sit back and say nothing about anything . . . :lol:

Mike

Definitely one heck of a basketball player.

I'm not 100% sure whether or not this is true, so maybe one of you gents can clarify: Is it true that there's no video footage of his 100 point game?

Obviously, not every game was recorded or televised back then, but it's a terrible shame if there's no old video clips or anything of it. It would even be amazing to hear parts of the old radio broadcast; if there was one.

My generation only knows Wilt for the number of women he supposedly slept with.
I've heard he played basketball too.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wilt The Stilt's 100 point game was against the New York Knicks who got their revenge beating Wilt (then with the L. A. Lakers) for the NBA championship in 1970 and 1973.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I find these memories of events very thought provoking. 49 years ago from 2011 is . . . what 1960? It is late . . . I don't want to do the exact math but that would make Wilt about 26.

Mike
Philadelphia Warriors and the New York Knicks held on March 2, 1962, at Hersheypark Arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wilt The Stilt's 100 point game was against the New York Knicks who got their revenge beating Wilt (then with the L. A. Lakers) for the NBA championship in 1970 and 1973.

And nothing since. :mad3:

Top Bottom