What's new

Sleeper movies

Fires on the Plain--Great Japanese anti-war film

Cross of Iron--James Coburn

The Big Gundown--Lee Van Cleef

Death Rides A Horse--Lee Van Cleef

Sunshine/Moon/Primer.

In my opinion the best sci fi films of the decade but they were slept on very hard. Moon featured Sam Rockwell's best performance yet Sony refused to give him an Award campaign for the Oscar's for fear that the movie would be pirated....so stupid.

One of my faves would be the Shawshank Redemption.

I have the extended version with cast interviews. I was with a manufactures rep and we were talking about Shawshank. He commented about a party he went to and all of the men said it was one of their favorite movies.

Cube was a great original horror/sci-fi movie that most people didn't see. The sequals were direct to video garbage, but the original was really good.

Some really good answers up there. Some of those films I haven't seen in so long, I just added some to my "need to rent" list.

Here's a few that I think were overlooked:

A Midnight Clear (nice all around performances and film)

Dark City (a good mind-twister)

Lords Of Dogtown (reminds me of my youth, and Heath Ledger's small role was well done)

Brazil (I like watching both versions and seeing why Terry Gilliam hates Hollywood)

I also liked The Fifth Element and A.I., but can understand why some people didn't.

Some really good answers up there. Some of those films I haven't seen in so long, I just added some to my "need to rent" list.

Here's a few that I think were overlooked:

A Midnight Clear (nice all around performances and film)

Dark City (a good mind-twister)

Lords Of Dogtown (reminds me of my youth, and Heath Ledger's small role was well done)

Brazil (I like watching both versions and seeing why Terry Gilliam hates Hollywood)

I also liked The Fifth Element and A.I., but can understand why some people didn't.

Dark City is one of my favorites!

Several movies in the last few years that I saw in theaters with only a few other people:

Sunshine
The Brothers Bloom
Cyrus
Adam
Please Give

All of these were great. I only know a few other people who have seen them.

A couple more that just came to mind...

The Thomas Crown Affair, with Steve McQueen

When I was a poor student in Boston I would save up and take my girlfriend to the restaurant "Josephs". When Steve McQueen made reservations to Josephs in that movie I felt infinitely COOL!! That fleeting moment was worth the price of admission.

Gents, I thought I would start a thread about movies that did not do well at the box office or forgotten movies you thought were great. I like the following:

1. 1977 Sorcerer starring Roy Scheider. This is a remake of the the French movie "The Wages of Fear". I remember sitting in a movie house with my little brother in a 1/3 empty theater. Unfortunately, this movie was a flop because it came out at the same time as Star Wars. I have always been a fan of Scheider since The French Connection. I was blown away with the locale, the story line and the sound track by Tangerine Dream. The jungle scenes will blow you away without CGI. Check it out.

full

2. 1941 Penny Serenade starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. This is a must see for couples. I saw this movie with my first wife and we were deeply affected. The storyline is predictable but what a tear jerker. Check it out.

full

Honorable mention goes to To Live and Die in L.A.

What is your must see?

If you are a fan of Roy Scheider, which I am also, remember 'Blue Thunder'??!! Great police/aviation movie that came out in '83....

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fall

Fantastic, unheard of movie with unbelievable cinematography and shot on location in a number of remarkable places. Great story, great visuals, excellent movie making in my opinion. It hasn't suffered whatsoever for having watched it a half dozen times.

Hudsucker Proxy

Coen brothers production. Quirky, funny, fun movie. Paul Newmann plays the heel, Tim Robbins the dorky lead, one of my fave movies. Also happens to have a scene with Robbins getting a straight shave, so it's got that going for it too:thumbup:

Paper Moon

An oldie but a goody. Ryan & Tatum Oneal.

Hudsucker Proxy

Coen brothers production. Quirky, funny, fun movie. Paul Newmann plays the heel, Tim Robbins the dorky lead, one of my fave movies. Also happens to have a scene with Robbins getting a straight shave, so it's got that going for it too:thumbup:

"You know...for kids!" :thumbup:

Top Bottom