What's new

barefoot on a treadmill

I'm in the process of changing my running gait and I think I've accomplished that (thanks, Mark, for the tip about lifting my knees higher). Before I buy 5 Fingers or something similar, I want to do some barefoot running. I also want to keep my toes frostbite free (it's flipping cold here).

Has anyone run barefoot on a treadmill? Any issues I should be aware of? I don't know why I'm being a chicken. Something about a moving belt near my exposed toes has put me off from trying it.

Thanks.

-Dave

I got a pair of Five Fingers for Christmas and I've been wearing them on the treadmill and elliptical trainers at my gym. So far, so good.

Thanks.

My original question may have been unclear. I'm not concerned about wearing 5 fingers on a treadmill but about actually running barefoot on it. Has anyone tried that?

-Dave

As long as the treadmill is clean and the belt is in good condition, barefoot running on a treadmill should be no problem whatsoever. Be careful not to stub your toes.

Though if you're doing it at the gym, be prepared for some weird looks.

Straightforward barefoot running is prohibited at my gym, and at every gym that I've regularly used. I've never seen this come up in the case of running per se, but I've seen barefoot lifters get the boot. I tend to agree with it. I'd like to think that the guy who used the bench before me had pants on, and whoever was running on the treadmill was wearing shoes. As always, YMMV.

The first couple months I ran in VFFs I stubbed my toes nearly every single time out. Wasn't even anything there, I'd just hit my big toe on the ground somehow. Not sure where you fall on the clums-o-meter compared to me, but I'd personally be wary of running barefoot on a treadmill.

That said, the key isn't being barefoot, it's running in shoes that
- allow your toes to spread on impact
- have a flat arch
- don't have a raised or built up heel.
- are snug enough not to move and chafe/blister.

A really old pair of tennis shoes or deck shoes will work great, or even water slippers if you've got some lying around.

Thanks for all the responses. I would only do it on my home treadmill. I may try it at a really slow pace and/or with some socks on. I'll let you know how it goes.

My biggest pain ever running barefoot was when my big to caught on something (like GMYM said) and my toenail just kind of... shattered. It was weird, it broke in like 7 places and hurt like crazy. You probably have pretty well-trimmed toenails, but I'd hate for you to do what I did :)

Thanks for all the responses. I would only do it on my home treadmill. I may try it at a really slow pace and/or with some socks on. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you want to try it out, go for it. Be careful and don't go nuts with your speed if you aren't used to being barefoot.

Running barefoot is great. I hate treadmills, but I see no reason why running barefoot on one would harm you. The only places I've run barefoot were through open, grassy fields and on the beach (those little pebbles hurt a bit).

Might tear up some of the skin on the bottom of you foot. Sorry I may have missed it but why are you attempting this?

As others have said I think if you go slow to begin you will know as you do it if it is a good idea.

Also how you recover and feel the next day or two may also be a good way to tell if it's doing any harm.

- Aaro

I've tried running barefoot on a treadmill. It was different,because you land more on the balls of your feet than on your heels. That said, it wasn't too bad. My calves hurt pretty bad for about 4 days afterwards though.

Aaron

Sorry I may have missed it but why are you attempting this?

- Aaro

I've read about the benefits of barefoot running. It's too cold/snowy to try it outside. A treadmill is my only option for the next 4 months or so.

I wouldn't recommend it. You should really only try running with 5-fingers on grass or dirt.
Barefoot on treadmill may not provide enough cushion for your landing and could have lasting long-term effects on your joints.

Well, that was dumb. My calves and knees are fine, but I have a really weird hip pain.

I ended up putting socks on after catching my big toe--once was enough. I'll wait for spring and try it again on grass or a local track.

I've read about the benefits of barefoot running. It's too cold/snowy to try it outside. A treadmill is my only option for the next 4 months or so.

I wouldn't recommend it. You should really only try running with 5-fingers on grass or dirt.
Barefoot on treadmill may not provide enough cushion for your landing and could have lasting long-term effects on your joints.

I've got a degree in Exercise Science so i'm not trying to be a know it all BUT ... I remember my Biomechanics lecturer - when discussing cushioning materials in shoes get asked about barefoot running - he said that concrete was a man made thing so it would destroy our joints and generally be harmful, not natural or something along those lines.

At the beach or on grass is fine. I remember there was a guy that was making barefoot running everywhere popular - not sure of his name now - I wonder how his joints and feet are now?

- Aaron

I've got a degree in Exercise Science so i'm not trying to be a know it all BUT ... I remember my Biomechanics lecturer - when discussing cushioning materials in shoes get asked about barefoot running - he said that concrete was a man made thing so it would destroy our joints and generally be harmful, not natural or something along those lines.

At the beach or on grass is fine. I remember there was a guy that was making barefoot running everywhere popular - not sure of his name now - I wonder how his joints and feet are now?

- Aaron

All the early proponents of barefoot running are still going strong.
And remember, the African savannah is at least as hard as concrete when the sun dries the mud out. The key on concrete is to build up your muscles slowly. Like any muscle, using it is preferable to coddling it!

I've tried running barefoot on a treadmill. It was different,because you land more on the balls of your feet than on your heels. Aaron

That's a good thing. How we should be running too. I run more flat foot still but no heel strikes at least.

Top Bottom