What's new

Are you looking for The One? and...

What will you do if you find "The One"

• Add it to the rotation with my other favorites

• Use it mostly but occasionally pull out an old favorite

• Sell off everything else and use it exclusively

• Buy three more immediately, I need backups!

Results are only viewable after voting.
What will you do if you find it?

A common theme around here (in every category, really) is the Grail quest. That one thing that will end AD.

So, are you looking for The One? Or do you just enjoy the differences between your various brushes? If you find The One (whether you're actively looking for it or not) what will you do? Add it to the rotation? Use it "most" of the time? Sell off all your other brushes and use it exclusively? Buy three more of "The One" so you can rotate only your favorite?

I'm posting this in brushes because I know my answers for soap & razors (soap - mostly AOS but I like the variety of changing off, razors - Feather AS is it - period) Not settled on blades yet but mostly Feathers at this point. I'm pretty happy with most blades though.

I did find the ONE in brushes and bought me a double. I do buy a lot more when I find a nice blade btw.

The spare brush is "needed" so I can freely use my fav without the fear of being without it one day. To be honest I have to admit it was not the last one I bought but my interest for new brushes dropped dramatically. :001_rolle

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got one brush only. my "backup" is used by SWMBO...

I'm not sure there is "One." Every time I think I have found it, I just get a different itch that needs scratching.

I quite enjoy collecting razors so far, but I'm turning towards brushes and if I find the ONE (how will I know if I don't get more of them?) I will certainly get more of it, if I can afford it.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I stopped looking myself. My Grosvenor LE, Tulip 4, and Chubby 2 are all I really need. I once had SBAD in the very worst way but now...... nothing. Very happy with the 3 I have.:thumbup1:

I've got a Rooney 3/1 in Silvertip, an SOC (possibly to be replaced by the Semogue custom boar), and a brush I built from a TGN finest knot (that feels a lot like Simpsons 2 band super). I like the variety, and the ability to let each one dry completely between uses. Are there better brushes? - I'm sure there are. I can't see the need to spend more though, I'm set, for now :001_rolle

I got an Omega boar, and suddenly, I don't want to look very hard. I was even tooling up to turn a brush handle on my lathe for a TGN knot! I don't know now...Maybe the handle on the Omega is too something...

Phil

Not sure if The One exists for me as I love 'em all! I don't think it'd matter though really, I'd still keep getting some here and there. :laugh:

I figure brushes are like women. You have to try a whole bunch to really figure out what you want. After that it's a matter of spending a lot of money trying to find the perfect brush and hope it's not a dud. After that weather or not your relationship is monogamous is up to you. I can tell you for brushes anyway my relationships will never be monogamous.

I have picked up a few very nice brushes in the past several months that I think have satisfied my urge for any more. That is unless I see one that just blows me away. :blush:

Best regards,

Doug

I like variety so I would just add it to my rotation. Another might drop out though, it depends on how I'm feeling about the rest.

I like variety so I would just add it to my rotation. Another might drop out though, it depends on how I'm feeling about the rest.

That's kinda where my head is. Don't know if I'd just store it or sell the one coming out of the rotation, but I'm finding 3-4 active brushes is a good number for me.

Now that is under the assumption that "The One" is just some slight degree better in some way than it's mates. OTOH, if it is a HUGE leap (something I can't even fathom, given how much I enjoy my current rotation, but just for discussion) to the point where I couldn't imagine ever going back to any of my current brushes, I "might" acquire a second and rotate them. Probably sell off the current ones under that (purely hypothetical:biggrin1:) situation.

.....okay, probably not. I still have the two HORRIBLE drug store boars I used for years. Actually dug one out the other day, just to see if it was as bad as I recalled. It was... Point being, it's still here:blushing:

Thanks guys, good discussion!

Ken

Option 2 for me. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Want something that works equally well with creams & soaps. These last couple of weeks I have been wondering about getting a different brush, which to me price wise is Rooney or Simpson.

Top Bottom