What's new

What is hardest part of straight shaving?

I was wondering what the hardest part of straight shaving is? Is it:
1. Learning how to use the razor?
2. Learning how to strop?
3. Or learning how to hone?

I have not tried honing yet, and I was wondering if the most difficult part is still to come.

For me it's learning how to use the razor. I'm about a month in, and still have a lot to learn about angles, and just how to hold the razor for those awkward spots. I have a bench strop that I've been using, and I think that has helped a lot in my stropping technique. We'll see though, I should be receiving my first hanging strop on Monday. As for honing, it's tricky and it takes a while for me, but I enjoy it a lot. I doubt if I am doing it the way the pro's would do it, but my edges work for me, so that's enough for me.

For me it's learning how to use the razor. I'm about a month in, and still have a lot to learn about angles, and just how to hold the razor for those awkward spots. I have a bench strop that I've been using, and I think that has helped a lot in my stropping technique. We'll see though, I should be receiving my first hanging strop on Monday. As for honing, it's tricky and it takes a while for me, but I enjoy it a lot. I doubt if I am doing it the way the pro's would do it, but my edges work for me, so that's enough for me.

I have a bench strop too, and it makes it a lot easier for me too. I'm glad to hear that you're able to get a good edge honing. That helps to build my confidence when I start honing. Thanks!

Learning to hone has nothing to do with learning how to shave with a straight razor. You can shave with a straight for the rest of your life without ever honing or knowing how to hone a razor.

Honing is very important as it will effect how pleased you are with your shave and your technique. However, honing is not a frequent event. Once it is done well, it will last for several months before another honing is required.

If you are just starting out, you will want to have an experienced honer work the blade for you before you begin, so you eliminate the possibility of trying to learn with an improperly honed razor. It is more cost-effective as well. The cost of getting a stone or two might exceed $100, while a pro will charge you $10-$20 and do it correctly.

Everyone will be different. I didn't find learning to use a straight very difficult and only nicked myself about 3 times during the first week or so but after the second week I was fairly confident in shaving with a straight. I know there is never ending improvement and I also bought a Japanese one to try a new challenge.

I think stropping looks very easy but stropping properly without nicking your strop is a bit harder than it looks.

The hardest part for me is controlling the RAD and the urge to buy more and more razors.

I only use disposable blade straights, so for me the hardest part was learning to use the razor. I use the top quality straights, the Feather and the Kai, but I also have and use 3 different Parker disposable blade straights.

Each razor gives a different shave, but I'm able to get excellent shaves from any of them. It all comes down to practice and knowing your razors. :thumbup1:

Honing. The shaving takes practice and time, but really isn't nearly as hard as it seems before you try.

The stopping take practice as well, and you want a practice strop, but it is a matter of time on the leather, it comes along quickly.

Honing is not impossible but a much longer learning curve. But you don't have to ever hone unless you want to, so this is good news.

Legion

Staff member
Straight razors are like a lot of things.

Shaving with a straight is easy.
Honing is easy.
Using a strop is really easy.

Doing it all well, on the other hand...

You can't get a good shave unless you can strop. So that is the first thing to get right. As someone else said, the other two are independent of each other and you could be really good at one and rubbish at the other. They are completely different skills but both require a fair bit of practice to get competent. In fact lots of people who have been doing both for years will tell you that there is still room for improvement.

Just practice, practice, practice until you are consistently happy with your results.

The hardest part is admitting that you have a problem.:blink: I really don't need to buy every straight I want. I can get get along with only a couple of well honed straights (in theory.)

Sharpness is the thing for me, I reckon. I can shave excellently and get mindblowing results IF the razor is perfectly sharp and smooth. If it ain't, then I start cutting myself.

Difficult in the beginning starting to learn to hold a razor, strop and hone but IMHO some users make it more difficult when they go out and venture for that perfect edge or experiment new things. In a way you take a step back but you can rely on your experience to learn new methods.

For instance I completely dropped coticule honing this week and went back to Japanese natural stones and picked up 3 more stones so I've been having good shaves but not great as I've been use to.

Rest assured though that you'll always get an answer here if you're stuck:001_cool:

My vote is for honing being the harder skill to learn.

When I started honing, it seemed like every razor took forever to hone, didn't respond to honing at all like any other razor I had ever honed, and took forever to hone. It was very frustrating! Eventually, I would muddle through to a good shaving edge. But, taking hours to hone a razor didn't leave me much room for self respect.

When I started shaving, within one month I was getting decent shaves over most of my face. There were spots that I didn't consistently shave well for months after that. But, shaving was easier than honing.

in no time at all you'll be shaving like a pro - within a year you'll be shaving the best you possibly can (assuming you spend you year learning and perfecting new techniques)

but people spend their entire life perfecting and, honing their sharpening method.

ok, don't know where i was going with this, - my mind wandered off after the honing pun.... :lol:

As with everything in life, making the decision to so something is the hardest part...this is no different for straight shaving. The details will come once that decision is made and are not hard...my 2 cents :thumbup1:

Top Bottom