What's new

Shave Den suggestions when building a house

Hello friends!

My wife and I will be building a house soon (yeah, I know... in this economy?)

Has anyone built or done some customizing to the Bathroom/shave den?

I would like to build as much in to be a wetshaver's dream as possible, but I need some ideas and suggestions and maybe soem discussion or comments on what I can ask my architect who just happens to be my wife, what can be done feasibly or maybe leave somethign that I can easily (very easily) modify or add later.

I have a few thoughts thus far...
  • I want really good venting in the bathroom and dehumidification to keep straight razors dry.
  • A blade slot to dispose of used DE blades which leads to a locked in-wall or under cabinet sharps container (could be a disposal for all sorts of things since I relatives that are diabetic and probably will be someday myself and may need needle disposal).
  • A razor vault/cabinet for display, safekeeping, security (locked for kids and too curious adults).

Any thoughts or discussion?

My wife and I are also planning on building 2 master suites in the house, one on each floor. This way, an aging parent who can't make the stair can stay with us when the time comes and eventually, we may not be able to make the stairs in our platinum years and will move to the first floor.
Also, a friend or ours stated that she and the baby stayed upstairs in their house for days at a time when they first came home, so we were thinking it would be a good place for us to inhabit when we have our first child. There will be another first floor guest bedroom (or office) for the grnadparents to stay as needed as well.

My thought here is in wondering if I do the same modifications to both master suite bathrooms for wet shaving?

OK, my brain gets overloaded in thinking about this.
My wife and I are still discussing house size and costs.

Thanks for the input!

Joe.

You should look in to an instant hot water dispenser to install next to your sink, and possibly a water-softening system. Hey, if you're gonna do it, might as well do it right! :thumbup:

I like the arrangement in my house from the 1920's: A seperate toilet room (water closet, W.C.) with just a toilet and sink. The "Bath" room is just that, a bathtub and a sink in the room next to the W.C. This keeps the toilet nasties in their own room, and away from my toothbrush and shaving brushes.

[*]A blade slot to dispose of used DE blades which leads to a locked in-wall or under cabinet sharps container (could be a disposal for all sorts of things since I relatives that are diabetic and probably will be someday myself and may need needle disposal).

How about a gym instead then? :tongue_sm

But a bathroom geared towards shaving is the ultimate in awesomeness :thumbup:

I'd consider a cabinet with a glass door for the straights. I'd put something inside to dehumidify such as a Goldenrod or just put a 25 watt light bulb that always stays on.

Recently I have been shaving in the shower and I wish I had some kind of built in shelving system in the shower itself. While I'm at it, a built in seat with small sink....yeah I said it, a built in sink, in the shower.

How about a towel warmer?
Sweeeeeet!

A secret drawer you can hide all your purchases from your wife in.
Tisk tisk... I'm innocent I swear!

Recently I have been shaving in the shower and I wish I had some kind of built in shelving system in the shower itself. While I'm at it, a built in seat with small sink....yeah I said it, a built in sink, in the shower.
Now that's the good stuff right there. Make it a seat the faces a mirror with a basin. Over the basin will swing a scuttle with hot water tap inside.

You've nailed it man. Fantastic!!

:thumbup:

I've got to admit I didn't think I would ever hear of someone wanting a sink in their shower.

Two things I would like to see in my next house. 1. Better lighting over the sink. 2. A steam room in the shower-bath.

Recently, I was on a trip and stayed in a hotel room that had a Thermasol steam shower. Got an incredible shave after 15 minutes in the steam. No hot towels needed!!!

+ 1 on extra lighting, as well as your ideas. Also the separate toilet room. I would consider having a long counter with two sinks and a large mirror. Two sinks are nice if you both need to get ready at the same time. Also consider running the hot water pipes that feed the shower behind the mirror or a heated mirror system if fogging is a concern, it's supposed to help quite a bit.

Also, heated floors

I am redoing my bathroom, did a great deal of research and decided to install a remote fan. I went with a FanTech FR150, it installs in the attic,vents through the roof and is virtually silent and moves a lot of air. Also put lights everywhere. My fan outlet has a light, there is a light in shower, and light over the doorway. Also a light over the sink. I am also going to put in a telescoping mirror to reach into the Shower.

A hot towel rack would be really nice... they are kind of expensive though.

I would love to have one in my bathroom.

*edit* How about a walk in shower? Talk about luxurious... that would be so sweet!

Think about decorating it in a vintage barbershop theme. The bottles, the mirrors, even a chair. Would be real cool.

Think about decorating it in a vintage barbershop theme. The bottles, the mirrors, even a chair. Would be real cool.

I went super contemporary. I bought an aluminum peg board kit from Amazon. Slapped up two panels, and now have shelves, racks, 'screwdriver' holders and lots of room for additions.

I also installed towel warmer bars, a built in fan forced heater with a timer, and a recessed television that I can see in the mirror. So what if it's backwards! I'm concentrating on shaving!

My wife is not allowed in my bathroom. I have a nice old spittoon, and other various old tobacco collectibles.

By far the peg board in aluminum is the most stunning addition I've made to my bathroom since coming into DE shaving.

I'll post pics.

Last edited:
Paneling goes up this weekend.

I have since added a few wooden pipe racks. They round out the peg board and add a soft touch that won't damage my antique razors.

That was initial instillation mock up photo shoot.

Real world photo shoot coming soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom