What's new

Proraso, a great barbershop brand

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso is simply the very best low cost shaving brand I’ve ever encountered anywhere. After fifteen years of wet shaving, in fact, I can proudly say that this great Italian firm has really no rival in its price range. The overall quality of Proraso products is, in my opinion, unquestionable. First founded in 1930 in Florence (center Italy) by the Ludovico Martelli family, Proraso is today a worldwide famous brand and a very well respected company. After exactly 80 years from its establishment, it’s time to honour it. And in order to do that I want to underline how highly appreciated and wholeheartedly loved are Proraso products here in Italy and all over the World. Among Master Barbers and experienced wet shavers, Proraso has always been synonymous of professional quality, trusted experience and superior results. Everything about Proraso, from its unique, strong, fresh scent to its cool, classic, Old School packaging, brings my mind back to the wonderful, old barbershops placed in the street corners during the 1940’s and 1950’s. With the passing of time these memories are still alive. And after 80 years Ludovico Martelli’s products are still made in the same time-honoured traditional way, using only selected ingredients, dermatologically tested to give a superior performance. And today, as yersterday, Proraso is chosen by Master Barbers and wet shavers who really want a clean, close and comfortable shave. Just a few thoughts to say: Proraso, after three generations, true gentlemen continue to love you.

Last edited:
Nice write up Marco and a healthy + a million!!!

Proraso is probably the best stuff I own...and I own almost everything in your picture! This is my go-to product if stuck on a tropical island with only one shave set up. Pre-post....Green Tub....Aftershave Splash.

Amazing menthol kick, great scent and most important...leaves the face feeling like a million bucks :laugh:

As always, Marco, enjoyed your write up. I enjoy reading the history and background of the products you write about. :thumbup:

And I agree that Proraso makes a wonderful product. I just wish the "red" Proraso available in Italy was available in the U.S.

Ciao.

I've used the CO Bigelow version of the SC and totally agree, it is now my go to cream. I'm not sure how noticeable a difference there is between the two, but I can't wait to be able to try the rest of the Proraso line as well.

I'm a fan of Proraso products. As other have said, they are cost effective and are very good in terms of quality and performance. This is the product range I recommend to people interesting in learning about wet shaving.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
As always, Marco, enjoyed your write up. I enjoy reading the history and background of the products you write about. :thumbup:

And I agree that Proraso makes a wonderful product. I just wish the "red" Proraso available in Italy was available in the U.S.

Ciao.

Jim, thank you very much for your kind comments, which are truly appreciated.
Regarding the Red Proraso, one of my absolute favourite creams, it is no longer available anywhere, since out of production. A real pity, also because the company gave no actual explanation for stopping the production of a so loved, popular and traditional barbershop shaving cream.

excellent thread OP! I can only agree whole heartedly that Proraso is the best value wet shaving product on the market. the shaving creams that I find marginally better cost twice the price! we collect wet shaving products because its an enjoyable hobby - but if stuck on that proverbial desert island, the Merkur HD, Astra SS blade and Proraso products are a given. simple, time honoured and effective.

I am a big fan of uberlather. For me, the BEST mix I have come up with is MWF plus Proraso. The combination is incredible. The MWF gives a smooth shave. The Proraso makes an incredibly rich lather. Together they make a perfect shave.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
excellent thread OP! I can only agree whole heartedly that Proraso is the best value wet shaving product on the market. the shaving creams that I find marginally better cost twice the price! we collect wet shaving products because its an enjoyable hobby - but if stuck on that proverbial desert island, the Merkur HD, Astra SS blade and Proraso products are a given. simple, time honoured and effective.

Thank you, Sir.
And yes, on a hot desert island the super refreshing Proraso would surely be the answer!

More Proraso love here.

This is my third "Summer of Proraso" and my morning shave with this gem is always much anticipated. This year, I'm trying the Red and it's absolutely top notch, just like it's brother.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Is there any noticable between the product in the tube vs the tub?

No, there isn't. I've been using both since I started to shave and have always got the same amazing lather. The soap in the bowl is just a slightly dehydrated version of the cream in the tube, and the ingredients list is identical. What only changes for me is the lathering technique: I bowl lather the cream and face lather the soap.

It's Proraso's 80th anniversary, huh? It must be a coincidence that I used Proraso creme for the first time today ad absolutely loved it. The scent is light and pleasant, and the menthol tingle is fantastic. It'll be a regular in my rotation from here on out for sure.

As always, Marco, thanks for another great post/review. When I started my wet shaving adventure, Proraso cream and pre/post cream were among the first things I purchased. They are great products for sure; the menthol does not agree with me, so I sold it all on B/S/T. Your post now has me considering the aloe and green tree soap and pre/post. Any thoughts on how they work with the scents of the ASB and splash?

I agree 100% Marco. Proraso is the standard by which I compare other products. I find them to be flawless. I dabble in other scents, but with Proraso I always have outstanding shaves.

Top Bottom