What's new

Starbucks closes all stores- nobody notices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it's McDipsticks, Burger King or Staryucks - if it's from a national chain of stores it's crap. The stuff they produce is only related to good coffee by sharing the name coffee.

Sorry guys!

Starbucks drink prices vary from state to state. In TX they are a little more expensive. How can anyone make such blanket statements like these? So if mom and pop coffee shops buy some of the same raw beans that Starbucks also uses is their coffee crap as well? Or is it only crap when Starbucks buys them? Oh well "wiping hands of the issue" enjoy your coffee.

Last edited:
If I could just figure out how to mainline caffeine, I could dispense with this coffee drinking crap altogether:biggrin:
Its not quite mainlining, but Trader Joe's has a product called "Espresso Pillows," Crunchy Toffeed Espresso Bits Covered In Dark Chocolate. A 2.75 oz container costs $2.49 and contains about 110 beans.

I keep a tin in my locker at work, and gulp these down to keep me chugging on the job. One tin lasts me about a week. I take 2 or 3 per hour depending on my work load, and they really do help to keep me moving.

I used to drink a lot of coffee every day, but that option isn't available anymore. These beans do just as good a job, and they're a lot cheaper than the $2.75 or so I was spending every day on a thermos fill-up at Starbucks.

They taste pretty good, too.

i dont drink much coffee, but i can tell you one thing,
starbucks couldnt make tea to save their own life, its absolute waste water,

Most of the coffee I drink is from Starbucks. I buy their Kenya coffee, whole bean, for $11 and change per pound. I've tried coffees from our organic stores, and they aren't as good. The only thing comparable that I have found locally is a shop that deals in Kaldi coffee, and they sell theirs for $17 a pound--a price difference seldom worth paying.

You folks in the big cities, where there are places that roast their own beans are lucky. The rest of us, stuck in smaller places where 3/4 of the coffee shops are Starbucks or similar national chains, do not share in your good fortune.

WTB locally fresh roasted Kenyan coffee in Tallahassee Florida, PST.

Wow, a lot of Starbucks hate in here. Bashing the workers seems inappropriate. It's a great job while going through college or for many single mothers as they give heath insurance for part time.

They did actually shut down for training. The founder Howard Schultz, took it back over and felt the company got way off track and needed to focus on coffee instead of all the other things it was trying to add in. Everyone was trained on the proper way to used and make everything as well as to make sure they would be able to give the customers advice on the differences in the different types of beans and such.

People DID NOTICE, and in a big way. There were several very angry customers at the location near me. Knocking on drive through windows, yelling, complaining, etc.

I have family that work for the company and almost everyone I have meet has been really nice. The company also give a lot to charity and does a lot of it's own work as well.

I don't understand bashing a place for making $4 coffee but being willing to buy $30 shaving cream.
+1 well said. (And I have no affiliation w/SBUX other than being a customer.) Is it the best coffee? No? Have I had MUCH better? Yes. But, guess what? I can't get that MUCH better coffee as easily or as cheaply as I can SBUX.

Have you seen the movie "Big Night"? Well, SBUX is the crowded place down the street from the joint with the snobby, perfectionist, purist chef who has no customers to cook for. While SBUX is certainly better than "Olive Garden" (if you get my comparison), it is certainly no Caffe d'Arte in Seattle, or any one of a thousand little joints in the neighborhoods of Rome, either, but it's the best we've got in a readily available supply.

"I've got news for you, Ray, K-Mart (DD/McD's) sucks."

Cheers!
-Greg

I have a habit of substituting one of the letters when I say the word Starbucks. Let's just say I prefer not to go to any of their stores.

I live in Melbourne Australia and we have an extremely well developed coffee culture here.

As for McDonald's coffee they at least have the decency to charge me a fair price and that includes free refills so I don't mind having that. Not every day mind you.

Last edited:
+1 on the mac. I switched and will never look back. As far as sbux goes, I like their coffee ok, but find it a bit expensive. I now buy Eight o' clock whole bean French Roast. Inexpensive and good.

Aaron

I prefer the coffee I make at home, and Starbucks is mostly to strong for my taste. No hate-on for them, sorry I can't stoke the flames.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Starbucks? Would Teddy Roosevelt or Harry Truman or John Wayne have been Starbucks customers?

Well, I think all that cappa-frappa-dappa latte mocha swirl triple ripple new wave raspberry syrup and skim milk froth stuff is not only ridiculously expensive, but kinda gay, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I think it is just sad when I go into a coffee joint, and ask for a cup of coffee, and they look at me like I am an alien from another planet, before recovering their composure and looking down their nose at me and presuming to instruct me that what I should be asking for is an "Americaine" which apparently is espresso, watered down to approximate an actual cup of plain regular coffee. In other words, a fancy-pants foreign lavender-lane euro-style coffee drink disguised as regular guy coffee. And then have the nerve to charge me as much as I normally pay for well drinks in my usual bar. It's supposed to be COFFEE, PEOPLE! Giving it a flowery poofy name and a bunch of sissy foam on top doesn't make it worth more... it makes it worth less. And I prefer to be served by a middle aged waittress who cracks jokes and accidentally bumps me with her behind passing my table rather than some snot nose teenage self-important fingernail-polish and eye-shadow wearing designer-drug-using punk kid who will probably never amount to anything in life except another liberal gun-grabbing criminal-hugging taxaholic weak-sister politically correct vote against good government, personal liberty, and law and order.

If a refill doesn't come free and unasked for, it isn't real coffee. At least one free refill is a natural RIGHT of the coffee drinker. It is supposed to be poured, unbidden, into my cup before it is 2/3 empty. That's the way it is supposed to be. And I am supposed to leave a nice tip and call her Sweetheart and promise to come back for some more of her good coffee. Any other state of affairs is a bizzarre perversion and a violation of our most sacred expectations.

So I am glad they were shut down. I wish they could stay that way. They are helping to un-man America and should be eliminated from the urban landscape before it is too late and our young men start wearing mascara and Elizabeth Arden.

I am pretty sure that God doesn't like Starbucks. At least I can't see why he would. It would be un-American.

Put me down as another non fan. As others mention, they must be doing something right to go on this long and the few times I have been they were nothing but courteous. I just don't like the flavour. I do not buy the sugared up mocha crappa whatever they call them. Just coffee or an espresso. It always tastes burned to me. I guess that would be over roasted? In any case I just can't buy stuff like that at any price. I have no issue with anyone who does. Just different tastes.

Regards, Todd

Put me down as another non fan. As others mention, they must be doing something right to go on this long and the few times I have been they were nothing but courteous. I just don't like the flavour. I do not buy the sugared up mocha crappa whatever they call them. Just coffee or an espresso. It always tastes burned to me. I guess that would be over roasted? In any case I just can't buy stuff like that at any price. I have no issue with anyone who does. Just different tastes.

Regards, Todd

Yes. I too have no issue with people who like them. If somebody truly likes their coffee then that's OK with me. I just ask they respect my right to drink coffee from elsewhere.

Starbucks, Costa etc's arrival on these shores (UK) resulted in a pretty big increase in the quality of coffee widely available. Most cafes used to serve instant coffee. A lot still do. And its not that much cheaper than Starbucks. So, while Starbucks coffee may not be up the standards of gourmets, its a lot better than what we used to have. I used to buy from there myself, but realised I might as well have a coke habit or a predilection for high class call girls, cost-wise.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok, I've only been in the place once so I'm not surprised that this little blip went completely over my head. The one time I did try the coffee. It took me a full 60 seconds to figure out they didn't have what I wanted on the menu and another 60 seconds to get the young lady behind the counter to understand what a plain cup of coffee was.

The lesson I learned: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this... Well stop doing that"

I happen to take my coffee black. I can't believe how frequently I've watched the server use the same spoon as they did for the last person's order to stir in the no cream and no sugar.

Mike

I reluctantly went to Starbucks on the insistence of a friend who wanted to go there. I didn't know what to try, so I asked for a small sample that I paid 2 dollars for and we sat down. I notice the next 8 customers were ordering there coffee with sugar and cream or different flavoring.

Does Anyone go to Starbucks for black coffee?

I guess after the tasting experience I had, I will continue to make my Kona coffee at home. :thumbup:

i'm not gonna hate on starbucks because I do drink their coffee once in a blue moon. the coffee snob in me refuses to frequent places like starbucks because I can get better quality fair-trade coffee from the grocery store for a fraction of the cost. i'll buy from starbucks out of convenience, but if I had to choose between starbucks or a locally owned coffee shop, i'll choose the locally owned shop first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom