What's new

Brats?

So I tried the beer bath with Johnsonville brats, some stella, and a whole onion. I did a comparison with a plain grilled, and found I wasn't thrilled with the beer flavor in my brat. I'd rather drink my beer and eat the brat. Did I do something wrong here? Wrong beer perhaps? I only use one condiment on my brat, which is mustard. People say it is a sin to use ketchup, so I'll stick with the majority.

Anyway, I'll be grilling up some brats this Friday as it's a state Holiday. Can someone suggest a new way of grilling them up? Felt like a change... Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

I do brats & beer as follows: butter, brats & sliced onion in an iron pot, cook over medium heat until brats start to brown. Add cheap beer, cover & cook over med-low. When done, throw on grill just long enough to crisp the skin. Serve with sauerkraut seasoned with caraway seed. Horseradish is a good condiment too. Also, I'm assuming you're not using the precooked brats.

For something different, shred up a brat and use a small amount as a stuffing under the skins of chicken thighs, either oven-fried or BBQ'd is OK as long as the brat meat ends up thoroughly cooked. Chicken fat and brat fat have amazing synergy.

I'm grilling brats tonight for company. I may do the beer prep too. In my opinion, you just didn't use a good beer. I don't like Stella Artois. That's about as YMMV as you can get, though. I feel like they'd tasted better with a rich ale like Bass... or even Samuel Adams' plain old Boston Lager.

I'm a Sheboygan Purist. My beer is for drinking.

I grill brats on a charcoal grill with the lid off. Turn 'em. Don't burn 'em. They're ready when they're about ready to explode. Don't puncture the skin. I like mine with sauerkraut, fried onions, horseradish mustard, and hot peppers, on a big hoagie bun, but I won't make you feel bad if you like ketchup. Eat it how you like it.

There's no definitive right or wrong way to cook and eat a brat, just a few different methods.

I love brats! My Dad grew up in Wisconsin, and attended many a " Brat Fry " in Sheboygan WI. ( Brat Festival ) Here's his " classic method.

For 10 bratwurst:

note: this includes the pre-simmering method, key is to simmer the brats. Do not boil! this will cause the casings to rupture.

Chop one yellow onion, put in large pot, add 1-3 cans of beer. Pilsener style works best.
add brats, over medium heat bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer brats for 20 minutes. Discard simmering liquid.

Hopefully you have lit the charcoal by now, and allowed coals to become white.
( can be done on gas grill as well)
Grill over white coals for 15-20 minutes, turning often until done. Note: some purists avoid putting the lid on the grill, can create oily smoke that adulterates the brats.
Quell flare ups with a clean spray bottle filled with water, or beer.
You can make another batch of " holding batter" to place the cooked brats in, until ready to serve.

3 cans of beer
1 large chopped onion
1 stick of salted butter
Bring Holding " batter " to a gentle simmer, turn off heat, and put grilled brats in until ready to serve. ( this works great if making large batches of brats)

Serve brats on buttered Brat buns, or like: Do not use hot dog buns

Ketchup is ok, it is yellow mustard that is frowned upon, brown mustard is preferred. I like mine with either grilled onions, or sauerkraut.

Note: Johnsonville is generally viewed as being the top commercial maker, but Usinger's is a close second. If you can get some locally from a German deli/butcher's by all means do so.

Happy brat eating...:thumbup:

I love brats! My Dad grew up in Wisconsin, and attended many a " Brat Fry " in Sheboygan WI. ( Brat Festival ) Here's his " classic method.

For 10 bratwurst:

note: this includes the pre-simmering method, key is to simmer the brats. Do not boil! this will cause the casings to rupture.

Chop one yellow onion, put in large pot, add 1-3 cans of beer. Pilsener style works best.
add brats, over medium heat bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer brats for 20 minutes. Discard simmering liquid.

Hopefully you have lit the charcoal by now, and allowed coals to become white.
( can be done on gas grill as well)
Grill over white coals for 15-20 minutes, turning often until done. Note: some purists avoid putting the lid on the grill, can create oily smoke that adulterates the brats.
Quell flare ups with a clean spray bottle filled with water, or beer.
You can make another batch of " holding batter" to place the cooked brats in, until ready to serve.

3 cans of beer
1 large chopped onion
1 stick of salted butter
Bring Holding " batter " to a gentle simmer, turn off heat, and put grilled brats in until ready to serve. ( this works great if making large batches of brats)

Serve brats on buttered Brat buns, or like: Do not use hot dog buns

Ketchup is ok, it is yellow mustard that is frowned upon, brown mustard is preferred. I like mine with either grilled onions, or sauerkraut.

Note: Johnsonville is generally viewed as being the top commercial maker, but Usinger's is a close second. If you can get some locally from a German deli/butcher's by all means do so.

Happy brat eating...:thumbup:

Having grown-up up 100% Cheddar I can vouch for this method of cooking. Along with onions, red and green peppers make a nice mix. Unless you are going with kraut. Then skip everything but the brown mustard . And don't forget the celery seeds to sprinkle on that bad boy.

hmm. celery seeds, gotta go look for those.

Thanks a lot guys! Definitely going to try the beer brat again, but I'll use some sam adams instead of a pilsner. I think the pilsner flavor does not jive with brats...

I typically either smoke'em if I am doing a pork shoulder or some thing that takes a while to took. Other than that I usually just put them on the grill. A couple years ago I found this butcher in Declan, WI on my way to Madison and discovered Hot Olive and Cheese Brats. They are perfection.

Growing up and currently living in GB, Maplewood meats has the best brats,IMO. Simmered in beer and onions then slowly grilled. Served with ketchup, yellow mustard, raw onions and sauerkraut. Although in my drinking days, a vendor's cart on Washington St. called Daddios I believe, were the best 3 a.m. brats ever.:biggrin:

I rather like them cooked most of the way in beer then finished on the grill. Throw in some tasty sauerkraut and mustard and I am good to go.

Just proves how much region has to do with taste. Here in New York you rarely see brats. Grilled italian sausage with peppers and onions on italian bread are available at every street fair in a 90 mile radius from NYC, but no brats. Now I have to go to a street fair tomorrow for sausage and peppers, grilled corn on the cob with cayenne butter, fresh squeezed lemonade and hot fried zeppole for dessert.

Last edited:
Just proves how much region has to do with taste. Here in New York you rarely see brats. Grilled italian sausage with peppers and onions on italian bread are available at every street fair in a 90 mile radius from NYC, but no brats. Now I have to go to a street fair tomorrow for sausage and peppers, grilled corn on the cob with cayenne butter, fresh squeezed lemonade and hot fried zeppole for dessert.
:w00t::w00t:

no issues with that.... fellow NY'R (1/2 italian) :thumbup:

On the rare ocassion that I do beer brats, I'll slice a few onions, and dump a six pack of generic lager into a large pot. Pierce the skin of the brats to let the beer and onion flavor in, then simmer for 2+ hours. Pull them from the drink, and crisp up over a fire.

That being said, I RARELY do the beer and brat thing, since it is a purely American invention. Any good German will tell you that the verb "Braten" means "to fry"... meaning that us ignorant American's shouldn't be grilling them. I won't deny that they are delicious, but they weren't designed for that duty.

Therefore, the majority of my brats are fried in a skillet, and served with the beer on the side :thumbup:

So I tried the beer bath with Johnsonville brats, some stella, and a whole onion. I did a comparison with a plain grilled, and found I wasn't thrilled with the beer flavor in my brat. I'd rather drink my beer and eat the brat. Did I do something wrong here? Wrong beer perhaps? I only use one condiment on my brat, which is mustard. People say it is a sin to use ketchup, so I'll stick with the majority.

Anyway, I'll be grilling up some brats this Friday as it's a state Holiday. Can someone suggest a new way of grilling them up? Felt like a change... Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Yes you're using the wrong beer. You have to use the absolute sh*ttiest beer you can find. Schiltz or PBR, Blatz, The Beast, something along those lines. Stella is what you drink while you eat the thing.

Last edited:
1 Costco sized pack of Brats (16 count)
1 Large onion
1/2 stick of butter
4 cloves of garlic
4 BOTTLES OF HEINEKEN (kinda hurts a bit because I love Heineken)

Boil/simmer for 30 minutes and let cool for 15 minutes
Grill till golden brown
Return the brats to the warm beer bath and serve.

I just made these for my boys b-day party and they were a big hit.

1 Costco sized pack of Brats (16 count)
1 Large onion
1/2 stick of butter
4 cloves of garlic
4 BOTTLES OF HEINEKEN (kinda hurts a bit because I love Heineken)

Boil/simmer for 30 minutes and let cool for 15 minutes
Grill till golden brown
Return the brats to the warm beer bath and serve.

I just made these for my boys b-day party and they were a big hit.

Your post makes me hungry.

Top Bottom