What's new

One shave and done?

Do you use a new blade for every shave?

• Yes, I (usually) use a new blade every shave.

• No, I (usually) use the same blade more than once

• I use some more than once, and others only once.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK, I'm curious to see how many others out there just toss the blade after one shave? It may seem kinda odd, or crazy, but I have a reason for it.

I noticed that I can often times use a blade two days in a row or twice in a day without problems. For example, if I have to wake up early, shave, etc, and I decide to get rid of the 5 O'Clock shadow before bed, I'm OK. If I use the blade two mornings in a row I'm usually OK. But it seems like any time I try to get three or four days out of a blade, I have problems.

I had a mild acne problem as a teenager, and the problem lingered on for the longest damn time. It wasn't really acne, I guess, but a persistent problem with pimples especially on my neck...Until I switched to DE shaving...

When I first started, I didn't know I could use a blade more than once, and tossed them after each shave. When I learned more and started getting 2-3 shaves, the irritation came back.

I pondered a few possible sources, and finally realized something...My problems that I'd been having for YEARS were due to the damn dirty cartridges and disposables I was using! The cartridge (And disposable) is hard/impossible to clean, and expensive. So I wind up using a dirty, dull cartridge (Or disposable) well past it's prime...Using the same DE blade multiple times, unless I take it out and clean it, has much the same effect.

I got in the habit of removing the blade, spraying everything down with alcohol, and wiping it clean. But, this took up lots of time, alcohol isn't free, and sometimes I'd get cut. The irritation went away, though. So, now I avoid the hassle, and use a new blade every shave.

Just one of those YMMV situations, even using a blade every day you are still spending way less than cartridges. I get 4 or 5 shaves out of an Astra.

I go no more than 3 shaves per blade, depending on make. You may want to lay off wiping the blade-dulls the edge. A hot water rinse and a dip in alcohol is more than enough IMHO. Most blade wrappers state not to wipe the blade. Perhaps this is causing your blades to dull more quickly.

You may want to lay off wiping the blade-dulls the edge. A hot water rinse and a dip in alcohol is more than enough IMHO.

Wiping the blade actually took care of the problem I mentioned. For sharpness, I can usually get about 3 shaves from most blades I think. The problem is that they seem to accumulate some nasty bacteria or something and it gives me a pretty bad rash.

I stopped wiping and dipping in alcohol and ETC because it seemed just as easy to pop a new blade in, I'm STILL saving tons of money over cartridges, and I get a nice fresh blade every time.

I get at least 3 shaves from a blade, often more. But, I've also never had the breakouts as you describe. If changing blades after every shave resolves/alleviates the breakouts for you then do it. I agree w/DFrancis - even tossing it daily is far less money than the cartridge cost.

So far anywhere from 2 shaves on some brands of DE to 8 on a Schick injector. Throwing it away automatically after one shave would not only be wasteful, but totally unnecessary.

I usually use a blade for 3 shaves.
I think that most of them could easilly stand for a 4th and sometimes even a 5th shave, but I usually don't take the risk.

However, only 1 shave per blade is few, but if it works for you, go on with it !

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One blade a week when I am using a DE every day, which isn't often these days.

With the straight, I use the same blade over and over! :lol:

Using the blade once, and then tossing it seems extremely wasteful, especially considering that with many blades, the first shave is the roughest, and the 2nd, and 3rd shaves are actually better. :001_smile

In general I toss a blade after shave 3, as this is easiest to remember. Some blades could go to 4-5 shaves I am sure, but tossing it after 3 shaves is easier remembered.

When I injector shave I keep a little Tupperware container of alcohol on hand for dipping the head. Just dipping. No wiping or fuss. The cost of the alcohol is almost nothing this way.

I'd recommend doing that to the head of a DE razor to get two or three shaves out of a blade. As others have said, you may be missing the best shave the blade has to offer by tossing after the first.

- Chris

I normally get at least 3 shave from a DE blade. No special treatment other than making sure they are run under the cold water tap before putting back on the shelf. Occasionally I hand strop them before use but I've found I don't really need to do that and haven't seen any real benefit.

I do think that some blades are really only fit for one shave and then should be tossed. I recently used a TRIG by TREET of Pakistan. First shave was a blinder with a BBS shave and no irritation. Second shave was not so nice with a fair bit of irritation and soreness afterwards. Should have tossed that one.

When I used cartridges, I was getting 1 good shave on each cartridge, and a passable shave if I needed to stretch em... never went beyond 2 shaves on those.

I've been doing 2 shaves to a blade. Tried pushing a couple for a 3rd and didn't like the results.

I strip and rinse everything off after every shave.

When my technique gets better I'll try pushing a few blades to see how far they'll go, but at this stage I'm not concerned with a couple bucks a month.

I have a handy little indicator for when to change my blade. When I do the against the grain pass on the mustache area, a blade that is too dull leaves little red spots of blood (not actually nicks though) above my lip. This is when I change blades.

I have a handy little indicator for when to change my blade. When I do the against the grain pass on the mustache area, a blade that is too dull leaves little red spots of blood (not actually nicks though) above my lip. This is when I change blades.

Actually, you should change your blade the shave before that starts happening. :001_tt2:

I have a think beard and generally will only go 2 shaves and change because I find if I try to stretch it more than that I start getting drag and cutting myself (probably more my fault than the blade, but it works for me)

Hey, whatever works for you. Buy blades by the 100 and the blades are as little as a dime a piece. Even a week's worth costs less than a buck. Still cheaper than any cartridge, and you're getting solid results that you wouldn't get from a cart.

I also squirt down my razor with alcohol after use, but I get 3+ shaves from a blade. I figure that the alcohol dried it quicker and kills any germs.

Top Bottom