What's new

Frye Boots Anyone?

I recently bought the Frye Harness 8R in chocolate and i love the leather. However, they put a very thick wax coat on it to give it a "vintage" look that the salesman said would come off. Any recomendations as to how I could facilitate the removal of heavy wax.

Henry-
It is interesting you show these Frye shoes. I have always thought of Frye and Red Wing as boot companies, but just realized they also make oxfords. I am actually pretty interested in a pair of Red Wing oxford/boat shoes:

proxy.php

So have I (always thought of them as boot companies). They make such damn good boots, I figured that their shoes have to be pretty good as well. Pretty comfortable saying that the Oxfords I picked up kick the last pair of Johnston & Murphys I had up and down the block.

I recently bought the Frye Harness 8R in chocolate and i love the leather. However, they put a very thick wax coat on it to give it a "vintage" look that the salesman said would come off. Any recomendations as to how I could facilitate the removal of heavy wax.

I didn't remove the wax from mine. In time it just worked in/off.

V

VR6ofpain

Pretty comfortable saying that the Oxfords I picked up kick the last pair of Johnston & Murphys I had up and down the block.
I remember being in a Johnston & Murphy store in SF (the one in Union Square) looking at what appeared to be some nice shoes. While browsing a customer came in complaining about his shoes (he was actually wearing them). The crazy thing was the lower part of the sole, alone with the heel, had separated from the upper of the shoe. Almost as if the welt and glue had failed.

Amazingly enough the employees kept asking the customer to keep his cool and how they could not do anything to help him. They said only their manager could help him, and their manager had gone home for the night (the store was still open for another 2 hours, so I wondered if they were just BS'ing him). They even told him they were busy with customers, which was not true as the few people in the store, including myself, were just browsing. When he kept pushing it, they then told him they could not exchange his shoes because they were "worn". This was insane, as obviously a shoe would need to be worn to find out it failed prematurely. Eventually they convinced the man to leave (basically pushing him out the door).

I was completely floored. It was definitely the worse customer service I had ever seen. Suffice to say, I quickly stopped looking at the shoes and casually left. That was the last time I ever considered Johnston & Murphy as an option for shoes. They obviously don't care about their customer to allow a more premier location like this to treat customers with such disrespect (a block from the Neiman Marcus in Union Square). It was very telling about the business and in my opinion, the product.

Frye is awesome. In Denver, where anything with buttons qualifies as formal wear, a good pair of boots is one way to be stealthy while putting forth a solid appearance.

attachment.php

Really like the look of my Marco Chelseas with some good denim. And the solid clack from the outsole help me keep proper time when playing mandolin. Also really like my full leather Frye sneakers. Those things are total stealth fashion. Every woman notices the unique quality at first glance.

Those are sweet sneakers! And I like those Chelseas too. Not much of chance me buying those, seem hard to get round these parts.:sneaky2:

I remember being in a Johnston & Murphy store in SF (the one in Union Square) looking at what appeared to be some nice shoes. While browsing a customer came in complaining about his shoes (he was actually wearing them). The crazy thing was the lower part of the sole, alone with the heel, had separated from the upper of the shoe. Almost as if the welt and glue had failed.

Amazingly enough the employees kept asking the customer to keep his cool and how they could not do anything to help him. They said only their manager could help him, and their manager had gone home for the night (the store was still open for another 2 hours, so I wondered if they were just BS'ing him). They even told him they were busy with customers, which was not true as the few people in the store, including myself, were just browsing. When he kept pushing it, they then told him they could not exchange his shoes because they were "worn". This was insane, as obviously a shoe would need to be worn to find out it failed prematurely. Eventually they convinced the man to leave (basically pushing him out the door).

I was completely floored. It was definitely the worse customer service I had ever seen. Suffice to say, I quickly stopped looking at the shoes and casually left. That was the last time I ever considered Johnston & Murphy as an option for shoes. They obviously don't care about their customer to allow a more premier location like this to treat customers with such disrespect (a block from the Neiman Marcus in Union Square). It was very telling about the business and in my opinion, the product.

Wow... that is amazing. It once was a good company. Not so much anymore, I guess.

I gave up trying to find the Frye Sneakers. Seems like they have new selection now, and they're not nearly as nice. They're all pre-soiled for one, I am too old for that sort of fashion statemens.:sneaky2:

Besides, I am quite capable of ruining my sneakers myself, thank you.

Anyways, I settled for some Skechers, namely Strand:

proxy.php

Not as nice as the Frye's maybe, but they got a bit similar vibe going on with the leather upper.

Bluefly has a small selection of Frye sneakers, the older kind but without the white toe.

After the positive sneaker experience, I've gone to town on Frye this year.

Got the boots below for winter dog walking - the crepe sole is actually quite nice. Love em.

Also picked up some very nice slip ons. They are really incredible shoes. They have a bit of rugged old-timey-ness while still being a very, very, very nice shoe, on the dressier end of casual.

A guy can't, or shouldn't, buy all of his shoes from one manufacturer, but I'm tempted to keep working through more of the abundant Frye line.

I have this pair and love them. They replaced a very worn-out pair of Red Wing boots that I had for 10 years. These are great boots.

proxy.php

That is sad. I know that Nordstrom stopped carrying the J&M shoes in-store due to the decline in quality. I have had a number of pairs of J&M shoes in the past. I now wear Allen Edmonds where once I wore J&Ms (oxfords, etc).

Top Bottom