What's new

Frye Boots Anyone?

Back in the day, Gripfasts were my choice of biscuits!

proxy.php

Now I mostly just wear flip-flops whenever I can!

My current lineup of boots are the White's on the Left and Nick's on the right. Both wear great but they're pricey at 400 bucks a pair.

Who do you work for Flatfork? I'm might have to put my White's with all the fire's in California right now.

I've got a pair of Frye's harness boots in black and I absolutely love them. Fit and look great. Super quality. I plan to buy a pair in gaucho, too.

Will agree with Chippewa's. Until a few years ago, they were made in Missouri...by people who cared. Being a Jayhawk you must understand how important that statement is. We don't give Missouri much credit but it was well deserved in Chippewa's case. The quality control was superb. They are/were quality footwear. Since the living devil incarnate Justin Industries, who bought them out a number of years ago, moved the manufacture to Texas...well, they are holding up so far. I had two pair made in Mo. and one so far from Tejas. Not much difference but if Justin wrecks Chippewa like they did Nocona and Tony Lama I will beat them half to death with a local bison hide! I wore the Arroyos model 29300 for years. I have since switched over to Dr. Martens lace up and boy, was that a weird transition. I will likely get another pair of the Chippies. And yes, I am just aggravating Tom and other Missouri Tiggers with all that Missouri talk. I do wish the factory was still there.

Now Henry, how about those Frye's? I had a pair of the hippie/mod squad/flower power/at the beginning of disco model like Tom C posted up and they were good. Yet that was over 30 years ago. How is the quality these days? They make some models that are interesting to me.

I also like the Indie boots but they do carry a hefty price tag. They better be darned good for the price.

Regards, Todd

Sorry for the thread necromancy.

I just bought the Frye Harness 8R in Chocolate. The salesmen told me there was this really thick wax layer on the leather that was coming off as he stretched them. Is there anyway to facilitate the removal of the wax? I don't like how the wax looks but love the leather underneath.

V

VR6ofpain

Man, Frye is a good brand, but the best boots of that kind i ever had are my Chippewa harness boots made by hand in the USA out of the American bison leather!I got them for 280 including shipping here and never regreted:cool:
Chippewa makes great boots. I love my Katahdin Iron Works boots.

proxy.php

V

VR6ofpain

Henry-
It is interesting you show these Frye shoes. I have always thought of Frye and Red Wing as boot companies, but just realized they also make oxfords. I am actually pretty interested in a pair of Red Wing oxford/boat shoes:

proxy.php

My current lineup of boots are the White's on the Left and Nick's on the right. Both wear great but they're pricey at 400 bucks a pair.
I wore Frye's all through high school and the seventies. Just bought a pair of Chippewa loggers for work. I was thinking of also getting a pair of Whites or Wesco's. How do the Nick's compare and where did you get them?

They are hella comfortable too.

Their products are so well made, I'm a Frye customer for life. So I just picked these up:

I was a Red Wing customer for life, or until they started manufacturing their boots over seas and the quality took a nose dive.

Does anyone know if Frye boots come in wide or extra wide? I looked on the web site to see if they come in wide widths but I didn't see a definite answer.

Is online the only way to get them? I didn't see a store locater on the web site either.

frye boots are great! I have the harness boots in distressed brown, but as an FYI some of the newer ones (came out in the last few years) are made in mexico and more expensive than the US made ones.

Does anyone know if Frye boots come in wide or extra wide? I looked on the web site to see if they come in wide widths but I didn't see a definite answer.

I've had my eyes on the Harness 12R's for awhile now. I just noticed they specify that the Black and Gaucho colours are wide versions. I assume that means that all those certain colours are wide models, and the rest are regular (narrow) models.

Top Bottom