What's new

Let's talk about shaving the head....

I've been DE shaving since the beginning of the year. Recently made the transition to shaving my head with the DE razor rather than the M3. Here are some things I've noticed:

1. The shave creams that produce a thicker lather (in my mind T&H, Proraso) work better than the "lighter" products (i.e. a Col. Conk amber puck).

2. I have to prepare the cream differently, using less water to develop a thicker cream. Not sure why this works better, but it does.

3. Technique. The hair/skin on my head is tougher than my face hair/skin. I can shave a bit more aggressively, and don't need to worry so much about WTG v. ATG v. XTG. In fact, ATG works much better than WTG on a first pass. Even if I'm a bit heavy handed with the razor, my head doesn't seem to get razor burned.

4. Trouble spots. The top of my head, towards the back, is the toughest to easily shave. I've been shaving my head for about 5 years...and I'm used to doing it easily with the M3. However, I think maintaining the blade angle on that part of my head is tough. Also...I am shaving at an unusual angle (with the razor handle sort-of parallel to the ground) and without the assistance of a mirror.

5. Post shave. I've been using witch hazel, followed by a light balm (i.e. Nivea or the amazing Feather balm). . Not so sure the WH helps my head (I use it religiously post face shave....mixed with a bit of bay rum) but I'm doing it anyway.

6. Razor choice. My '62 adjustable seems to do a better job than my Merkur 38C. Even at similar settings. Don't know why. Maybe it is just because I like the adjustable better....smoother to work with. Maybe the weight. Dunno.

7. Pre-Shave. I always shave my face post-shower. I shave my head (once a week) in the shower. It is a lot less messy this way, though spraying water and steam seems to make the cream on my head dissipate quickly. Maybe that is why I need to whip the cream up to a thicker consistency.

8. Blades. I don't seem to notice a huge difference between different blades. Unlike my face which definitely prefers some blades to others. However, after shaving my head the blade is significantly more "used" than after a single 3-pass face shave.

Any thoughts ? Tips & techniques ? Products ?

Gentlemen....I await your kernels of wisdom.

I may have to try using a DE to shave my head out of curiosity. I currently use a headblade and find in fantastic in comparison to m3 or fusion.
After using 3 or 4 times, you shouldn't experience any nicks. I shave my head out of the shower so I can get hotter water on my scalp using the towel method. I generally do that after putting a light coat of AoS pre-shave oil on. The angle issues you discussed in your post are what I think could be troublsome if I try using a DE on my head.

The DE is what I use for my dome. I use a Str8 for my face. So far I have tried my Merkur 42 and AOS laveder for the best results. Soap seems to sometimes create irritation for me. I used witch hazel and Nivea balm for post shave with good results. I shave the dome everyday. Have some new razors coming in to test and compare soon!

1-4 I agree
5 you got to try some Osage Rub on the dome :biggrin: followed later by skin food which seems to keep it nice and soft
6 I tried several DE's including cartridge razors, the cartridge razors are obviously easier and I get less nicks but my favorite for the really smooth look and feel is my slant sledgehammer 39c
7 whatever works for you,
8 agree

I like the Proraso pre/post shave cream as a prep, quite often followed by Proraso shaving cream then as mentioned above Osage rub initially followed up later with trumpers skin food. I like Menthol shaving cream much more so for head shaving then face shaving it makes for a better feeling shave to me, Joanna over at TSD makes some creams that she will even add extra menthol to for when you really want that icy feeling.

I haven't tried a head blade or Dovo's version yet but the they look interesting especially when in a hurry

I tried he headblade -- really didn't like it. A M3 did a better job (for my head at least). I really like the Proras SC so might pick up som pre/post.

I've also been using Tom's of Main on the head. Just ok for myy face, but seems better for me on the head.

I have some AOS unscented (lavendar makes me sneeze....) - I'll try it on the head soon.

I use a glycerin bar as a base and one of my creams in my rotation. still use da M3, not comfortable with my DE technique yet........ I usually use the HeadLube glossy, great stuff!!!

I have really struggled to DE shave my head - I tried my Futur and Progress and ended up cutting my head (which bleeds like nothing else!).

I tried a number of razors and basically you want one which has very low agressiveness and is also very light. I found success with my Goodfella open comb. This gives you lots of confidence and very little chance of doing damage.

I also agree on the thicker lather thing but instead of making lather, I just use a latherless cream. The current one is C&E naturals which was on sale for a song. Works very well...

Oh, and lastly, I always shave my head in the shower...

I agree with the thicker lather on my head. I usually do a 3 pass with touch ups on my head. I have found my adjustable set on 8 with feathers to be the best combo for me.

My routine is as follows:

Hot towel wrap while shaving my face
Heavy lather
Back to front pass
Rinse with hot water
Relather
Front to back pass
Hot water rinse again
Relather
Shave from side to center of head on both sides
Rinse and touchups as needed until there is no "sandpaper" feel
Apply Deep Sea Cosmetics AS balm (I love this stuff)

Damn....if I did that my head would be whittled down to my shoulders !

+1 for sure! As much as I enjoy classic shaving on my face, I'm convinced if I ever tried it on my spud, I'd definitely look like I stuck my head in a chipper shredder. Nope, no shaving of the dome for me. I tend to apply the KISS principle and just mow it down with a pair of clippers every week or so. Yeah, there's a bit of stubble but I have so little hair left anyway it just doesn't seem to be all that important :biggrin:

I may have to try using a DE to shave my head out of curiosity. I currently use a headblade and find in fantastic in comparison to m3 or fusion.
After using 3 or 4 times, you shouldn't experience any nicks. I shave my head out of the shower so I can get hotter water on my scalp using the towel method. I generally do that after putting a light coat of AoS pre-shave oil on. The angle issues you discussed in your post are what I think could be troublsome if I try using a DE on my head.

I always use the HeadBlade and HeadSlick when I'm deployed. Though back here in the real world I walk with those who have hair. :lol::lol:

Truth is I rather like shaving it all off, but the LOTH prefers hair, "while I can still grow it."

Although, when the time comes for it all to go on a permanent basis, I'm sure I'll give DE a try.

I use a Feather DX with the Professional blades. Lather up the old face with whatever soap I'm currently using (Mama Bear's, Truffitt $ Hill, etc.), getting a good lather up. When I'm done with the mug, lather the old knob and keep on going. After going over the old dome once, I lather up again and attack it with the Gillette Atra.

The good thing about using a str8 is that it makes no difference how long my hair is, it gets right down to the skin and the hair doesn't clog up the razor head.

If you're comfortable with a str8, I would recommend using it.

If you're comfortable with a str8, I would recommend using it.

When I get more comfortable with the DE shaving I might try a straight....but that is a ways down the road. I'll keep that in mind though.

Someone above suggested the AOS shave oil. Maybe I'll oil up the dome Friday (my weekly head-shave day) and give it a try.....

Might sound crazy, but have to tried turning the showerhead off while you are shaving your melon? When I shave, I fill up two bowls to rinse the razor off with and kill the water. I only turn it back on to rinse the bowl or the leg.

I've been pretty aggressive shaving my noggin with a DE and found it impossible to nick myself, dialling my super adjustable down to 2 and hand lathering some cheap Boots brand shave cream. Great results! Rinse and moisturize with organic coconut oil and I'm good to go! Love it!

I've been shaving my head for five years now, and have always used a M3. I've been getting into wetshaving very recently and am still getting the hang of it. I did move from shaving in the shower to shaving after I shower and using the brush/soap/cream on my head and face. The de i use on my face, but still use the M3 for my head, i'm just not taking my chances yet. I have found that Tabac on the head is a great shave, and I follow up with a little headclear (for bump protection) and some EMJ SPF lotion. The M3 is great for the head b/c it allows the hair to pass through the back of it with less rinsing, and I need a way to get rid of the blades. The head shaving is quick and leaves me more time to enjoy the de shave with my face, the zen moments and what have you....

Well I'm a DE newbie (still waiting for that first razor to arrive!), but I'm quite sure I will stick to my Mach3 to shave my head. I usually shave my head once or twice a week. Here's my routine...

• Hot Shower
  • Lather in a bowl (I usually make this thicker than what I use for my face)
  • Rub the lather in with a brush for 2-3 minutes and leave on for a couple of minutes
  • WTG (for me this is back to front on top, top to bottom on sides and back)
  • Hot water rinse
  • Reapply lather with the brush
  • XTG
  • Hot water rinse
  • Reapply lather with the brush
  • ATG
  • Hot water rinse
  • Reapply lather with my hand so I can feel the problem areas that need a final pass (for me this is usually where the top and back of the head meet, and at the back just above the neck - hair growth is in several directions)
  • XTG in different angles depending on the direction of growth in these patches
  • Cold Water Rinse
  • Moisturising cream!

I've been pretty aggressive shaving my noggin with a DE and found it impossible to nick myself, dialling my super adjustable down to 2 and hand lathering some cheap Boots brand shave cream. Great results! Rinse and moisturize with organic coconut oil and I'm good to go! Love it!

Good advice. I dial the 62 Gilette as high as 7 for the face, and down to 2 or 3 for the head (depending on how long it's been since the last shave). I found that shaving out of the shower is better. I make some thick lather first, put the mug in some hot water to keep the lather warm, and go to town on my head.

I've been using the Col. Conk bay rum on the head lately....it has been working out really well.....

So I have recently started shaving my head with a M3, I tried the headblade but I guess the spacing was too tight since it didnt really work well. This may be a silly question but what do you guys wash your head with? I have been using a nivea face wash, since it seems I should use something designed for skin and not hair and soaps dry me out.

Also since I am new to this I apparently have some dry scalp although the Nivea aftershave is helping. I am also sunburnt and have some acne on my head what is the best course to clear my head up so it is more presentable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom