What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Also my goal is not to find the one and only most perfect for me razor. I don't know that such an animal exists.

proxy.php

I'm always like everyone else open to finding (and maybe sometimes searching for) the PUHG razor.

(That's the Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail razor of course.)

In the real world my goal is to determine which are razors worthy of inclusion in my highest razor category, Daily Drivers.

This means razors I could use every day - as if they were my only razor - and get close and long lasting Damn Comfortable Shaves.

4-7-21.Shavemac.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

The FOCS is in the Daily Driver category for sure. The rest are contenders at best.

(I think the open to clean Schick E-2 is also in the Daily Driver category, but I've not used it in a long long time so don't hold me to it.)

There are also razors I regard very highly which are not ever going to become or are very likely to become members of my Daily Driver category, but they are still very highly regarded by me. One example would be the Wunderbar.

There are plenty of razors I could use as daily drivers but they don't make the Daily Driver category.

Daily Driver category members have to be reasonably easy to use, at least pretty high on the efficiency scale, very smooth feeling on my skin, unlikely to bite, and unusually effective, as well as capable of delivering a consistently Damn Comfortable Shave.

proxy.php

In the real world I'm also a hobbyist.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Obviously I'm not a purist. I vary kit some. Probably always will, unless I don't.
That’s the beauty of this place. We get a good look and shake down reviews on products of interest. The more kits the better.

Also, I use almost all the time Vitos Red Cocco soap. On occasion I might use something else but the vast majority of my shaves are with Vitos. The other soaps either behave very much like Vitos or they are not used again. I like the Vitos experience, and value it. I have many others but it's the one I reach for.
It was the reviews you and Cal did that put me onto Vitos. I used it for over a year. My skin was giving me trouble and Vito’s was very agreeable. I’ve recently switched to SV products exclusively. The biggest thing that hit me with that large a jump. First shave with SV, in over a year. I had this overwhelming feeling of what an excellent trainer Vito’s has been. He’s made me a better shaver and latherer. Thats the best I can do for putting it into words.
John @JoWolf, I'm pondering what you said above. Lots of good stuff there.

I agree with the wisdom of controlling the variables. A Fixed Four can be a great learning experience. Jumping around can be counterproductive.
In the middle of my Grande journey I got into stones, westerns, and Kamisori’s. I know exactly what you mean about variables. I read your piece on straights a while back. It was very good Jim. I’ve missed the fixed four the last few years. I would love to do one.
For the record, I use only one kind of DE blade - Wizamet SI/Polsilver SI - and nothing else. In my view these are the same blades. My skin tells me that's true so I ignore those who say otherwise and present objective evidence. So, that's a variable I control.
Yes the shave is the blade. Finding and being able to lock in what works best, not many can do that.

The brushes I use are limited to those that behave much the same as each other. They may feel different, but the lather they produce and the degree of hydration and such has to conform to my exacting standards for what a good lather should be and must be. See my sig line for how I feel about this.
I’m downsizing my brushes. Two Zenith boars and a two band. Same as your reasons Jim their similarities being close.
Obviously I vary razors, but not as much as I used to. I'm playing favorites these days and occasionally introducing one my RAD has led me to. If I don't really like a new razor from the get go, it's not used again any time soon.

All my shaves are good, with few exceptions. Very few exceptions these days. Some are better than good. Today's WR2 1.35 shave for instance. Excellent shave.

All my shaves are Damn Comfortable Shaves now. Either that or whatever component of the kit that messed things up becomes a bottom drawer item. (Yuma razor being a recent enough to recall it example.)
It only takes the one thing. I need to dial in one of the soaps, 2nd use coming. I was a little surprised at how much it knocked the shave off it’s track. It doesn’t take too much.
I'm not using hyaluronic acid or moisturizer post shave now. They are used at night sometimes. Post shave right now is only a splash. It's an experiment.
I got it in the 8oz pump bottle. I use it face and head every shave. Hope the splash works out for you Jim.
I do like to experiment but I also know how to correctly design experiments and occasional do so.

Fumbling about is not beyond me of course. It's a fun hobby and conversation.
Thank You for your comments Jim. It was good trading notes and ideas.
Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I love SV, but it is more prone to stopping up the drain in my old sink/old plumbing/old house...like most of the fancier and more fat loaded soaps, like all the artisans...unlike Vitos.

Not that Vitos doesn't stop up my pipes but it does it a lot less frequently.

I'm also avoiding scented soaps these days. I do occasionally use Shannon's Soaps NIL which is unscented, but almost always use Vitos.

I'm very glad you like Vitos. I see why you might like SV even more; it's a very high quality soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I love SV, but it is more prone to stopping up the drain in my old sink/old plumbing/old house...like most of the fancier and more fat loaded soaps, like all the artisans...unlike Vitos.

Not that Vitos doesn't stop up my pipes but it does it a lot less frequently.

I'm also avoiding scented soaps these days. I do occasionally use Shannon's Soaps NIL which is unscented, but almost always use Vitos.

I'm very glad you like Vitos. I see why you might like SV even more; it's a very high quality soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim
As much as the extreme differences in price performance and bottom line shave comfort. So glad I spent the time with Vito’s. A 150 ml container and half a brick. I got so much experience with lathering. It’s a soap that needed nice attention and adjusting in my regular double shave. Always enjoyable. A serendipitous trial of an SV pre shave and down the SV hole I went. No regrets and very happy it happened at this part of my journey.

A couple of SV shaves and using their pre and post shave nut oils my skin gains improvement. I think it might be their vegan formulas. Discarded all balms and creams I had been using. HA and Lucky Tiger the two I kept. Starting to realize my skin is not in as good a condition that it could be. Tried SV bath soaps and did a head to head with MWF bath bar, again a considerable difference. Most surprising to me Jim. Skin feel and comfort as well as visual. First time in years I can tolerate fragrance again. I’ve had various skin conditions all my life. Happy skin right now. A new challenge of exploring SV skin products that can elevate my skin comfort. I’m in a good place with my shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock BBS
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Pre-shave: refined shea butter
Lather: Stirling Naked and Smooth
Post-shave: alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: refined shea butter

Took the previous night off. Thought I’d like using the Yaqi Mellon, but the drop in efficiency (with my hands) outpaced the gain in comfort relative to the Hawk V3OC — less so if the Hawk was used steep — and the RazoRock BBS was chosen.

Neutralish angle. WTG/ATG on moustache and chin; ATG everywhere else; ATG on cleanup. Short, quick strokes everywhere. Gripping handle at far end with thumb and no more than two fingers helping keep everything light. Felt more pleasant and comfortable than Yaqi Mellon, but was also more efficient. Higher alum feedback said I overshaved more efficiently, too. Aftershave sting was negligible. New blade loaded for next time. Visions of RazoRock Lupo 95 dance in my head as do returning to a steep Fatip. Whatever.

Skin feels calm and smooth this following morning. Realized I’ve been babying corners of upper lip after the nick I gifted myself one of the last times I shaved shallow with the Hawk, but that malfeasance is healing well.

No Captains Choice in the mailbox last night. Maybe today?

Happy shaves, everyone!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Gripping handle at far end with thumb and no more than two fingers helping keep everything light.

Interesting...

For me, gripping at the balance point is what keeps everything light. Also, smaller rotational movements are needed, in order to ensure correct razor presentation, relative to the various contours. Smaller movements creating bigger angle changes. I personally would have less control, the further from the balance point I grip.

I'm not saying everyone would benefit the same way, but you might have just gotten a better shave by gripping the end of the handle, than I would get by gripping the end of the handle.

Aside from that, your post seems to have a renewed confidence somehow. As though something suddenly made more sense to you, rather than just random changes leading to random outcomes.

thombrogan

Thanks for the kind words, Al.

Will never know what I’m doing, but sticking with the Hawk razor for several shaves and the boar brush until my face wanted a break helped I think.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Impressive is a fitting word. It is impressive especially when it wakes one up at 3am.

Nothing like what you've been going through, Mike, but I had some during the night pain a few days ago. Friday night and then again Sunday night.

It's terrible to not sleep because of pain.

Happy shaves even with the Mach 3, Mike.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬆️ Reviews Down the Road? ⬆️

Unscented soaps have strong appeal. Also their reviews I'd assume are useful to fans of many scents. They certainly are to me.

I didn't know Captain's Choice made an unscented soap so I'm already ahead of where I was. Thanks, Thom.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Will do what I can, @Chan Eil Whiskers

@Rusty Blade has a lot of reviews of unscented shave soaps.

Along with the today-obtained loot, I’m looking to try Soap Commander Integrity, Martin de Candré Nature, Canada (the unscented shave soap), Wet Shaving Products Rustic Au Naturel, Zingari Man Sego Base Unscented, Wholly Kaw Bare Siero, and Wickham’s 1912 Unscente, but like I have a lot ARKO!, so maybe you’ll try them first.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Will do what I can, @Chan Eil Whiskers

@Rusty Blade has a lot of reviews of unscented shave soaps.

Along with the today-obtained loot, I’m looking to try Soap Commander Integrity, Martin de Candré Nature, Canada (the unscented shave soap), Wet Shaving Products Rustic Au Naturel, Zingari Man Sego Base Unscented, Wholly Kaw Bare Siero, and Wickham’s 1912 Unscente, but like I have a lot ARKO!, so maybe you’ll try them first.

Wow, you're on an unscented roll.

In looking for posts by @Rusty Blade I discovered a brotherhood devoted to unscented soaps. As you know, my Vitos is not strictly speaking unscented, but it's, to my nose, unscented after being "fixed" by me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock BBS
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Lather: Captain’s Choice Unscented

First use of Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap. Took the cotton off one side of a padded swab and scooped a teensy amount into the bottom of a very classy, gray plastic cereal bowl #luxlife4eva and loaded my trusty synthetic brush. Probably just under half the amount I used was on the brush and it was go time.

The soap likes water. I like soaps that like water. This stuff was slick and more water made it even better. Ready for shaving with minimal fuss.

Short, quick strokes in neutralish ATG e’erywhere followed by touch ups here and there. Alum and aftershave both said I was a knothead, but only in a moderate and endearing way. I expect repetition with my current setup is the way forward.

So, well, I’m looking forward to many, many more uses of Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap so that I may form an opinion of its performance.

Will it still be available or still a monster deal when you click the link? I hope it’s at least available. Even if further testing aligns with my bias of ARKO!, this soap impressed me with its slickness, residual slickness, and lack of scent. And the “Obsidian” copper lather bowl looks amazing, but I don’t bowl lather and don’t have the space for it, but it looks so awesome.

As you know, my Vitos is not strictly speaking unscented, but it's, to my nose, unscented after being "fixed" by me.

I’m a few months into letting a puck of Williams “air out” and it’s still going strong.

Vitos sounds like a nigh-perfect soap. If only it didn’t have benzaldehyde aka Rave repellent.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last night’s shave
RazoRock BBS
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)

First use of Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap. Took the cotton off one side of a padded swab and scooped a teensy amount into the bottom of a very classy, gray plastic cereal bowl #luxlife4eva and loaded my trusty synthetic brush. Probably just under half the amount I used was on the brush and it was go time.

The soap likes water. I like soaps that like water. This stuff was slick and more water made it even better. Ready for shaving with minimal fuss.

Short, quick strokes in neutralish ATG e’erywhere followed by touch ups here and there. Alum and aftershave both said I was a knothead, but only in a moderate and endearing way. I expect repetition with my current setup is the way forward.

So, well, I’m looking forward to many, many more uses of Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap so that I may form an opinion of its performance.

Will it still be available or still a monster deal when you click the link? I hope it’s at least available. Even if further testing aligns with my bias of ARKO!, this soap impressed me with its slickness, residual slickness, and lack of scent. And the “Obsidian” copper lather bowl looks amazing, but I don’t bowl lather and don’t have the space for it, but it looks so awesome.

I’m a few months into letting a puck of Williams “air out” and it’s still going strong.

Vitos sounds like a nigh-perfect soap. If only it didn’t have benzaldehyde aka Rave repellent.

Happy shaves, everyone!
CB8F418B-2061-44C7-AB4A-F8464BCC402B.png

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
RazoRock BBS
Bic Chrome Platinum (2)
Post-shave: refined shea butter

Was more shallow this time around, but it was a comfortable shave. Not sure I know how to lather the Captain’s Choice Unscented shave soap, but it was plenty slick. Alum only stung front of throat, but aftershave was more global. Weird. A few more goes with just showering before shaving and then I’ll reintroduce the refined shea butter as a pre-shave.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom