What's new

Feather Artist SR vs. DX. Which is best for the closest shave?

I currently own a Feather SS and Merkur Futur. I'm looking for a closer shave if possible. The Feather SS is good but it does not feel like a traditional straight razor to me. Will a DX give me the closest shave out of all Feather artist straight razors?

Or does the SR give the closest shave of all? Any experience from those who have owned both?

The SR is fairly new, and I imagine that not many have all the various razors and used them with the various AC blades. So many permutations. Then as mentioned above, there is a certain skill or knowledge required.

I currently own a Feather SS and Merkur Futur. I'm looking for a closer shave if possible. The Feather SS is good but it does not feel like a traditional straight razor to me. Will a DX give me the closest shave out of all Feather artist straight razors?

Or does the SR give the closest shave of all? Any experience from those who have owned both?

Like you I have a standard (plastic scales) SS that I rarely ever used, because, as a straight shaver, I prefer the feel and heft of the DX.
When the SS appeared in ‘Scotch Wood’, I bought that one too and it felt much better to me than the original SS.

I have not bought the SR, however, because I don’t see the need for one owning already 2 DX and 2 SS Feathers ACs.
Regarding the ‘duck lip’ of the SS and toned down lip of the SR, I always found it hard to match the theory with what I actually felt during a shave, as it made little - if any - difference to me.

My clear preference is the DX, as it comes closest to a traditional straight razor, but during the first 2-3 shaves with a new blade all Feather ACs tend to feel harsher than a straight and will reach only their optimum performance after a few shaves.

B.

You could maybe experiment with drawing the full length of a fresh blade through paper in a short cut. Paper blunts the edge really quickly though so don't run it through a whole sheet of A4.

You might like Schick Proline or Kai mild. The Feather blades have a reputation for starting out crazy-sharp then dropping to a more comfortable level after a couple of shaves or so.

This is probably a dumb question, coming from someone who's never used one, but would stropping the blade tone down the harshness?

Not a dumb question at all - and yes, it may.
The problem is that the way the blade is clamped in the blade holder does not allow a flat stropping angle and is likely to scratch a leather strop.

One option (that is not as risky as it might sound) is palm-stropping, which works quite well and is what I do.

B.

Like you I have a standard (plastic scales) SS that I rarely ever used, because, as a straight shaver, I prefer the feel and heft of the DX.
When the SS appeared in ‘Scotch Wood’, I bought that one too and it felt much better to me than the original SS.

I have not bought the SR, however, because I don’t see the need for one owning already 2 DX and 2 SS Feathers ACs.
Regarding the ‘duck lip’ of the SS and toned down lip of the SR, I always found it hard to match the theory with what I actually felt during a shave, as it made little - if any - difference to me.

My clear preference is the DX, as it comes closest to a traditional straight razor, but during the first 2-3 shaves with a new blade all Feather ACs tend to feel harsher than a straight and will reach only their optimum performance after a few shaves.

B.
Thank you for answering my question. I'm looking for the closest shave possible for my head and face so it looks like I need to get the DX. I'm already using feather artist super blades so I think this will be the sharpest combination. possible for me.

This is probably a dumb question, coming from someone who's never used one, but would stropping the blade tone down the harshness?
People used to talk about "corking" a blade (using a piece of cork to tone it down). I haven't seen discussions about it in a few years and I've never tried it, but if you do a search here on B&B you should find some threads about it.

Since it is a bit subjective and ultimately depends on which feels razor better and meshes with your shaving technique/style, it is difficult to give any strong recommendation. In theory the DX should allow for a closer shave, since it has the thinnest lip bevel profile. But the angle and pressure you use also important, so the SR model might provide just a touch different feel and forgiveness and ultimately allow for a closer shave day-to-day. To be clear I have only used the DX and SS and not the SR model, so I am assuming that the lip profile thickness is ordered from most to least is SS > SR > DX, not in a linear fashion but where the SR lip is a tiny step up in radius while the SS a big step up.

I use a shavette with Artist Club blades for most of my shaves and get many shaves per blade. I like how the blade shaves when fresh, but also later when it loses some keenness. But if my goal were absolute consistency and maximum sharpness for something like a head shave I might also consider using a DE shavette since their blades are about 1/10 price and more easy to justify changing with each shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've used the SS and SR. I bought a DX but it was a university graduation present for my son. I had it dropshipped direct to him, so I didn't get the chance to use it before he got it.

I also have a Kasho Woody and a clone Luffy. They have approximately the same amount of lip as the Feather SR. I still prefer the SR because it's kamisori style instead of western. As a head shaver I've always grumbled about finding ways to hold a western shavette that allow me to see the work area. The kamisori happily solves that problem.

I've tried several kinds of Feather blades and find them somewhat unpleasing. I've tried Kai and Feather guarded blades and find them worse across the board. My go-to blade for AC is the Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK -- not quite as bitey as a Feather in the early going, tails off in a gentle way that gives me plenty of comfortable shaves.

My opinion of the Feather SR is that it's not a cheap razor, nor yet inexpensive but it is good value for the money, and I'm glad I have one.

O.H.

The SR has a really nice balance. To me the SR is closer to the feel of a traditional SR. The SR have managed to strike a good balance between weight and maximum control. The sandblasted finish also avoids the razor to stick to your skin if you get contact.
If you think the feather blades are a little to harsh, try the proline blades. There should not be any difference in the closeness of your shave. The result should be the same with any option, it is just a different experience.
Mine does not get used much. It just can't compete with any straight razor i have. It is great for travel, and for those who want's the SR experience without the maintenance.
A triple bevelled blade with a really small apex radius likes the skin as much as the whiskers. I prefer a different kind of bevel geometry. What do you do when one of the sharpest blade, the Feather super tugs a little, you turn to a straight razor:)

Last edited:

Have you tried the Feather Pro Super in the SS? This will change the razor completely. I shave regularly with a straight razor. When i use my SS, the only blade that makes sense in this is the Pro Super. More blade exposure gives a better angle and a much better shave. In my SR i use a proline blade or a regular pro blade.
I am not getting along with the super blade in my SR though. If the Feather SS is not getting you were you need to you will not get any better results with the other options. It is not the razor that is the problem.

I've used the SS and SR. I bought a DX but it was a university graduation present for my son. I had it dropshipped direct to him, so I didn't get the chance to use it before he got it.

I also have a Kasho Woody and a clone Luffy. They have approximately the same amount of lip as the Feather SR. I still prefer the SR because it's kamisori style instead of western. As a head shaver I've always grumbled about finding ways to hold a western shavette that allow me to see the work area. The kamisori happily solves that problem.

I've tried several kinds of Feather blades and find them somewhat unpleasing. I've tried Kai and Feather guarded blades and find them worse across the board. My go-to blade for AC is the Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK -- not quite as bitey as a Feather in the early going, tails off in a gentle way that gives me plenty of comfortable shaves.

My opinion of the Feather SR is that it's not a cheap razor, nor yet inexpensive but it is good value for the money, and I'm glad I have one.

O.H.

Thank you for posting your experience with the SR.

Have you tried the Feather Pro Super in the SS? This will change the razor completely. I shave regularly with a straight razor. When i use my SS, the only blade that makes sense in this is the Pro Super. More blade exposure gives a better angle and a much better shave. In my SR i use a proline blade or a regular pro blade.
I am not getting along with the super blade in my SR though. If the Feather SS is not getting you were you need to you will not get any better results with the other options. It is not the razor that is the problem.
I currently use Feather Artist super blades since they are the sharpest for my understanding. I placed a place to notice for feather artist dx yesterday. It should be here by Friday. Thank you all again for your comments.

I currently use Feather Artist super blades since they are the sharpest for my understanding. I placed an order for the Feather Artist DX kamisori yesterday. It should be here by Friday. Thank you all again for your comments. I will post my impressions in comparison to the SS after I use it.

Feather makes terrific razors. Any Artist Club razor is more than capable of a BBS close shave. If you can't get close with one then you won't be able to with another until you refine your technique. If your fundumentals are in place then close comfortable shaves will happen regardless of which artist club you choose. In your position I'd go with the SR. DXs can sometimes stick because they don't have the sandblasted finish and cost more.

As far as blade choice save yourself some time and try the Schick Proline blades. The only people using feathers are people who haven't tried Prolines.

I started using the Feather SR a few months ago and am finally getting some good shaves. I got some great advice on the forums, I've been wet shaving for some time and thought I'd try out a shavette prior to a straight razor. I'd like to try out the Proline P30 blades and would appreciate someone to let me know a source. I don't see them online.

Gary

I own a SS and a DX. I tend to use the SS with a new blade until it has 4-5 shaves on it because the lip makes it a little more forgiving. I switch the blade to the DX at that point.

Top Bottom