What's new

How complicated is your shave?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
From minimalist to maximalist, where are you? I splash hot water on my face, wet the brush, take about five seconds of swirling atop the puck, face lather, do WTG, re-lather with the same brush and load for XTG, repeat for ATG, rinse, and splash on aftershave. What is you regimen? Anyone have an easier one?

About the exact same as the 1st post minus the ATG bit.
My thing is that I tend not to use my better soaps for this and use things like Proraso or Cella or Arko or Tabac (from tubs or pucks). Close enough for government work and SWMBO still kisses me.

What's your preferred razor? I use the RR Hawk with a Kai Captain regular.

My shave is as complicated as yours. The shaver, on the other hand...

Speaking for myself: in my case, the messenger deserves to be shot!

PS. My routine is even simpler: I'm down to one WTG pass and touch ups (I shave daily, even on weekends, my stubble is no barbed wire and I don't chase the BBS dragon). No need for more than this.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I want to hear from more guys with complex routines...preshave, shave, alum, etc. How do you sequence it?

I want to hear from more guys with complex routines...preshave, shave, alum, etc. How do you sequence it?
I don't think my process is complex, after shower I wet the brush, load the brush, lather it up in a bowl, apply the lather to face, wtg, relather xtg, relather touch ups or if I feel fancy, atg. Wash off lather, rub alum block all over my wet face, half a minute in purgatory when I have time to reflect my mistakes that are being punished by the alum block, cold water wash, aftershave balm.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
From my days using SR, how about any work on the edge between shaves? That was what got to me.
Due to the fact I have a variety of SR’s I like using, I often get lots of use between honing. I strop daily, but hone when the mood strikes me, or out of necessity because an edge requires a touch up. I could go months without ever needing to hone, but it’s something I enjoy doing fairly regularly.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Due to the fact I have a variety of SR’s I like using, I often get lots of use between honing. I strop daily, but hone when the mood strikes me, or out of necessity because an edge requires a touch up. I could go months without ever needing to hone, but it’s something I enjoy doing fairly regularly.
I just had the one ivory handled Henckels that had been my grandfather's. The blade has a ding in it, but I hang onto it for sentimental reasons.

Only major thing I do differently is that I use a wet, warm wash cloth and hold it to my face for a few minutes, re-wetting the wash cloth with hot water as desired.
A wash cloth is as important to me as my razor or soap. Seriously, I have a very tough time shaving without one. If I just splash my face with water cupped in my hands I soak the entire bathroom. I need my facecloth/washcloth.

I wash my face a few times with a wash cloth soaked in the hottest water I can stand then face lather. Washcloth to clean the soap off my face after each pass (3) and end with ice cold water to close the old pores.

I go with the grain, against the grain then across the grain. 3 passes, rinse, Hyaluronic acid with Thayers and then AS splash. Pretty straightforward. 👍

Top Bottom