What's new

Moving from Shapton Pro Slip Stones to Naniwa Pro Stones or a Coticule?

Guys, it's been a while so I hope I'm in the right section to ask. I have Shapton Pro Slip Stones in order: 1k, 2k, 5k, 8k, 15k, & 30k. Combination of the fact that Shapton is not making them anymore and for me, honing on such small stones 2 1/4 x 2 1/2 has become way too tedious even though I got great results. I'm now looking to the Naniwa Professional Stones (1k, 2k, 3k, 5k, & 10k) or an 8" x 2" Corticule. Point me in the right direction to get Shapton like sharpness without Shaptons from Bevel Setting to Polishing is that the right progression for the Naniwa Professionals?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I thought I was good at parsing text, but you have proven me wrong. What are Shapton Pro Slip Stones? Why do you say that Shapton is not making them any more? Did they really ever do that, or have you been honing on Shapton Pros that someone has cut up with a saw? Why are you thinking about Naniwas? Worthy stones, to be sure, but I've never seen anyone say they were going to buy them because the readily-available Shapton Pros had somehow vanished.

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can add.

I have both. Love the coticule (La Veinette); probably my most favored stone. The Naniwa Super Stones (1k, 3k, 5k, 8k, 12k) are very easy to use and create a great, sharp edge without a lot of effort. Tad harsh, whereas the coticule takes some time to learn and is very smooth. Coke vs. Pepsi..Ford vs. Chevy
Tastes great vs. Less Filling…etc.

You don’t need the 2&3 and can easily make the jump from 1 to 5k and 5 to 10k. If you like the finish of the 30k, you can finish on the 30 as you do not need a full size stone to finish. On the 30 you should only be doing a handful of laps.

Coticules are a whole different kettle of fish and will require an vastly new learning process, and the edge will not be anywhere near a 30k edge.

Anyone that uses a Coticule has more than one. I do not use them regularly but have several,

You also have the Gouken series, which is greate as a set. I have the 1k 4k and 8k. The 8k fuji i think is finer then 8k. I also have an 8k superstone, which i hate. You get good results, but it feels like honing on rubber.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Coticules are definitely not for everyone, but neither are jnats, or arks, or synths -we all have to find our groove and what works for us. I’ve tried them all and to me nothing beats a well done coticule edge and if you’re just finishing they are easy to use. Dilucots or trying to do one stone honing on a coti definitely adds layers of difficulty and is not something I would recommend for a beginner. The stones that are currently being offered by Ardennes as a whole have been very very good stones.

Legion

Staff member
Coticules hold their value pretty well. If you tried that and found it didn’t work for you, you could probably sell it for close to what you paid.

Second hand synth stones, not so much.

Wow, a post from May without a follow-up from the OP, and yet we're still chiming in. Honing on 2-1/4" x 2-1/2" hones has become too tedious even though I got great results? Now wanting to switch to a 21 cm x 7 cm full set of Choseras, or an 8" x 2" Corticule?

Last edited:
Top Bottom