What's new

Why Gillette insist 5 blades matter. Absolute conjecture.

Good evening.

While I was browsing YouTube on shaving related matters I came across this video from Gillette.

It explains why 5 blades provide 'the best shave'

Im sure some of you will find it amusing to watch!

Jason.

But wait, I thought Gillette's newest innovation was removing blades? Not only that, but you will be charged even more than before for the refill cartridges! After all, two blades will irritate sensitive skin much less than five! It's been dermatologically tested.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The following illustration has not been approved by Gillette:

1634423399082.png

Last edited:
But wait, I thought Gillette's newest innovation was removing blades? Not only that, but you will be charged even more than before for the refill cartridges! After all, two blades will irritate sensitive skin much less than five! It's been dermatologically tested.

proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 1346915
I'm going to be honest, the skin guard is one of the best razors I've ever used. If you have thicker, curly facial hair like mine that can sometimes worsen breakouts, this razor will let you shave without slicing open any of the blemishes so that they can heal properly. Not a close shave obviously, but very comfortable and DFS without any brain usage or worry. The only cart (thats not for body/head shaving) that I can actually stand by. Bought it as my speed razor but now use it as my 'safety' razor haha! Really great for whenever my skin starts acting up.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Cutting the hair below the skin level is smoother, but it is not a good thing; many dermatologists and shaver say this increases the problem of ingrown hair.

So I think the "better" that Gillette promotes is still related to marketing; when the market is saturated with profits, they have to continue to introduce changes and declare that this is "innovation" and "better".

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Cartridge razors do work for some of us and not others. I must admit though I have not used 5 blades yet. I still think that the best cartridge razor that they have made is the SkinGuard.

Even 5 blades single de closer smoother less irritation skin is better for me
hey if ya want the other stuff cool ;)

and if ya care no plastics and better for environment

kinda like bose better sound through marketing :)
until you hear really good audio you think its good :) and some will argue it is cause marketing :) they would not lie hahahaha

I don’t understand the criticism Gillette gets here… their business model has been exactly the same for 115+ years:
- Think any new creative way to implement new features in a razor
- Sell the razor cheaply, even at a loss
- Heavily market it
- focus on the mass market, not niche segments
- lock in the customers on proprietary blades that are sold at high margins

If there were a shaving forum back in the 1950s, I can only imagine the gents mocking their “marketing gimmicks” like twist to open, adjustable, and other innovative razors that were designed and sold only to profit from the blades.

The sole reason for putting five blades in a razor head is that the customer buys five times as many blades (which will all dull as quickly as one blade). Gillette’s marketing department has one job - to sell more blades. They just need to invent a story to convince enough customers that five blades will somehow give a better shave than one blade does. It doesn’t have to be a good story - they are selling five times as many blades so they don’t need all of their customers to fall for it. Putting an actor in a lab coat is usually enough to fool most viewers into thinking the idea is credible, even if it makes no sense at all. Which it doesn’t.

proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 1346915

Nice to be able to argue both sides of the case!!:facep::facep::facep:

Thanks to all of your replies on this thread. I would like to try the SkinGuard cartridges (I have a Fusion handle lying around which has only been used once) but given how well my 39c shaves, I am not sure if its worth the bother or not.

Jason.

Thanks to all of your replies on this thread. I would like to try the SkinGuard cartridges (I have a Fusion handle lying around which has only been used once) but given how well my 39c shaves, I am not sure if its worth the bother or not.

Jason.
Might be useful for plane travel. Security won't let loose blades pass.

Might be useful for plane travel. Security won't let loose blades pass.
Good point. But then again I may as well buy a pack of twin blade disposables which will be a hell of a lot cheaper. I am fully aware that you can't take the DE blades themselves in hand luggage.

Jason.

Have you tried the BIC Metal razors? A single blade, shaves very smoothly.

proxy.php
Thanks for that reply. I have seriously considered them for travel. Single blade, no lubricating strip and a metal guard bar like a standard safety razor.

Jason.

The real question is a 5 blade approach really better, than say a 3 blade approach? I'm not sure it is. At some point the pesky "law of diminishing returns" kicks in. But when? The answer is unclear and dubious.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for that reply. I have seriously considered them for travel. Single blade, no lubricating strip and a metal guard bar like a standard safety razor.

Jason.
The Bic Metal is the best disposable or cartridge razor I have used. It requires some skill to use and is quite capable of punishing poor technique. I like the single blade, and fixed head helps to maintain DE technique and to avoid picking up 'bad habits' which one might acquire using a swivel head razor. It gives a shave every bit as close as any DE I have used.

The Bic Metal is the best disposable or cartridge razor I have used. It requires some skill to use and is quite capable of punishing poor technique. I like the single blade, and fixed head helps to maintain DE technique and to avoid picking up 'bad habits' which one might acquire using a swivel head razor. It gives a shave every bit as close as any DE I have used.
Thanks for your reply. After considering all replies on this thread; if I need a razor for travel it will be a pack of Bic Metals. No questions asked. Once again a very kind and considerate thanks to all replies on this thread. My final decision has been made.

Jason.

Top Bottom