What's new

Holy grail razor

Blackland blackbird TI is on top of my which list
IMG_1091b.jpg

I have the Timeless .68 (not .95).
I will probably stick with the Wolfman .95 preorder (or whatever it’s called). I’m a daily shaver with sensitive skin, so I would rather err on the side of caution. I’m sure it’s going to be more efficient than the Timeless. Thanks for your help!
That sounds good

Holy Grail Razor UPDATE

My original Yuma YM-403 choice has been pushed out of top place by the magnificent RazoRock Lupo 95 GT Special:
Lupo-GT-Special-front_2021-07-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Here's the rear view showing its big bore tailpipe:
Lupo-GT-Special-rear_2021-07-06.jpg
:001_wub:

I'm a Lightweight Handle Fanboy (LHF) as I enjoy the enhanced maneuverability and control of a head heavy razor. YMMV.

This superb hollow aluminum handle was made for me by my good friend and Machinist Meister Doug (@Rosseforp).
Its measurements are:
Diameter 14mm
Length 75mm
Weight 14g

So hard to whittle down...

Gillette New SC - definitely way up there, smooth, efficient, elegant... Very hard to top.

Razorock Mamba 70 - smooth, efficient, I like the stainless... Probably the single razor I have the most shaves on, just works and works easily for me.

The new challenger may take it, time will tell...
Tech/New Hybrid - very rare, looks so elegant. Only one shave on it, but it was something special for that one shave, if it can keep that up it'll be taking the grail title easily.

20210719_222058.jpg

20210719_222042.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
So hard to whittle down...

Gillette New SC - definitely way up there, smooth, efficient, elegant... Very hard to top.

Razorock Mamba 70 - smooth, efficient, I like the stainless... Probably the single razor I have the most shaves on, just works and works easily for me.

The new challenger may take it, time will tell...
Tech/New Hybrid - very rare, looks so elegant. Only one shave on it, but it was something special for that one shave, if it can keep that up it'll be taking the grail title easily.

View attachment 1299243
View attachment 1299244
Don’t worry — the Hybrid Tech shaves ‘like buttah’ each and every shave. It’s not an efficiency monster, but nothing will be smoother.

Don’t worry — the Hybrid Tech shaves ‘like buttah’ each and every shave. It’s not an efficiency monster, but nothing will be smoother.

#2 with an Usta - much the same - as you say, incredibly smooth and whilst not aggressive, that's just fine for someone who shaves daily (as I do).

Does this make it a potential grail candidate? Yep!
A superb daily driver is the holy grail for someone who shaves daily... The same combination of attributes may annoy a twice-weekly shaver, but not me!!

I can find nothing not to like about the Timeless but somehow I kept looking.

I watched the Wolfman site daily for drops but always missed and then I purchased a Janus LE and waited many months through the production process. The Janus prototype seemed to give me everything from a very smooth comfortable shave all the way through to a very efficient shave that was said to be butter smooth, and it was designed as a stainless steel Toggle. Unfortunately the engineer/manufacturer listened to the wrong people and changed the highly rated prototype to a highly aggressive, rough shaver that I could not use and be happy with.

After returning the Janus I realized how important a 30 day trial period was before spending a large sum on a razor. Wolfman now had a waiting list but with no ability to speak to the producer, numerous gap choices and no ability for a manufacturer refund if I chose wrong, a Wolfman was no longer desired by me. No doubt if I chose the right gap I would have gotten a good razor but not necessarily a razor that was great for me.

Because the $500 refund from the Janus was burning a hole in my pocket, I called Shane at Blackland to discuss his razors and his soon to be released Tradere. After learning of how the Timeless was my favorite he recommended the Tradere and also mentioned a down the road (and now sold out twice Titanium Blackbird). Assured of the satisfaction guarantee I purchased the Tradere and waited for production to complete.

The Tradere is a different razor, first it holds the blade flat but securely, next it is heavy and it also has a fairly long handle. Finding the angle took me some time and I originally settled on a somewhat shallow angle but then migrated to a steep angle which I like even more. The next comments are for me and ymmv but the shave is more efficient than that of the Timeless at a cost of slightly more blade feel. The weight and tendency to choke up too far on the handle had to be overcome and because of that I would recommend 10 to 20 shaves to give it a fair test. For me at around the 12th shave I knew I had a new everyday razor.

My advice is to call Shane and get his thoughts after you tell him what you like and if it looks like a fit, buy it with the assurance that you can return it if it does not work out. Your only risk is the postage cost.

What a story! Talk about a traditional way of doing business, that kind of customer service is straight out of the 19th century.

Congrats on the Blackland Tradere. I have one of the first batch originals and from everything I can see, the Blackland is a fine re-working of a great razor.

I would say Rocnel Sailor first, Blackland Tradere OC second (it must be the OC version, the SB is a different design, not just a different comb), Blackland Vector Ti third. All are very special razors but the Sailor is something extraordinary.

Top Bottom