What's new

Long hair - Thoughts, Opinions, & Styles?

Formal and long hair are mutually exclusive of each other.

I’ve also found that men with very short hair are extremely intolerant of men with long hair. It can even be seen in this thread.

Buns have no gender. You either have a bun or you don’t. It makes no difference what the gender of the wearer is.

Here’s what it comes down to: How does it make YOU feel?

The shorter your hair, the narrower your options. The longer your hair, the more options you have for length, style, products, etc.

When it’s all said and done, when you look in the mirror do you feel confident in your look? That’s all that matters.
I'm not sure where you find issues with longer hair, but I think most folks here are not that judgmental. If what I previously wrote came across that way, I do apologize. It certainly wasn't my intent. I am one who grows a beard each winter since retiring from the military and find some like it, some are not thrilled, but most simply let me my own preference.

I'm not sure where you find issues with longer hair, but I think most folks here are not that judgmental. If what I previously wrote came across that way, I do apologize. It certainly wasn't my intent. I am one who grows a beard each winter since retiring from the military and find some like it, some are not thrilled, but most simply let me my own preference.
No worries. I didn't take it as being as you judgmental at all.

I also hope you didn't take my initial comment to mean that I disapprove of long hair on men. I agree with you that a man should be able to grow and wear his hair however he likes. My comment was only meant to suggest that I do not believe long hair (on a man) can be considered formal. While it can be acceptable/tolerated in a formal setting (so long as it's well-kempt maintained), as a general rule, it's not "formal" per se. In this way, it's somewhat like jeans. While a pair of (clean dark) jeans may be acceptable at some formal events (but definitely not at a white tie or black tie event), it's not really formal.

For me, formal is something that an attorney would wear to court (in the US, not so much in the UK or some commonwealth nations, as the barristers there wear robes in court IIRC). While an attorney could wear long hair to court, it may not reflect well upon him in the eyes of a jury. (Like it or not, in the US, there is a bias against men with long hair being taken as professionals.) Should an attorney opt to wear long hair to court in a jury trial, it could bias the jury against his client (unless his client was a shampoo company and the lawsuit was about how the shampoo damaged someone's hair).

I now have long hair for second time in my life. For 10 years back in the 90s and again now. I let it loose and ponytail back in the day. Luckily i have a full head of hair then and now. I bic’d it bald for a couple years and then kept it shorter for a while, letting it grow out a bit, but maybe 2-3 cuts a year.

I keep it in 75% bun now, i wear a suit at work when i go in now in a fairly conservative environment, 😂 . The other 25 i do something with row braids.

I get a bunch of TiSH 💀 all the time from mostly guys in ball caps or really short hair cuts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it’s pretty easy to dazzle folks with a hair flip /s

No, it’s not. At least people are super confused, because i look and talk like i should be on the beach, but i am usually in a board room environment.
I find myself code switching (to borrow a phrase) between the professional setting and how I speak normally among friends. My normal every day speech has a lot of "Dude"s, "yah"s, and "dunno"s. However, when I'm in professional mode, those terms are gone.

I find myself code switching (to borrow a phrase) between the professional setting and how I speak normally among friends. My normal every day speech has a lot of "Dude"s, "yah"s, and "dunno"s. However, when I'm in professional mode, those terms are gone.

I think its more that my colleaugues are ISTJs ( or something like that as they always seem tell me) and i’m way laid back in comparison with a healthy work/life balance that also is kind of looked down upon.

But the bun or top knot is a complete enigma to them. they just have a very different lifestyle that doesn’t entertain that type of stuff.

No worries. I didn't take it as being as you judgmental at all.

I also hope you didn't take my initial comment to mean that I disapprove of long hair on men. I agree with you that a man should be able to grow and wear his hair however he likes. My comment was only meant to suggest that I do not believe long hair (on a man) can be considered formal. While it can be acceptable/tolerated in a formal setting (so long as it's well-kempt maintained), as a general rule, it's not "formal" per se. In this way, it's somewhat like jeans. While a pair of (clean dark) jeans may be acceptable at some formal events (but definitely not at a white tie or black tie event), it's not really formal.

For me, formal is something that an attorney would wear to court (in the US, not so much in the UK or some commonwealth nations, as the barristers there wear robes in court IIRC). While an attorney could wear long hair to court, it may not reflect well upon him in the eyes of a jury. (Like it or not, in the US, there is a bias against men with long hair being taken as professionals.) Should an attorney opt to wear long hair to court in a jury trial, it could bias the jury against his client (unless his client was a shampoo company and the lawsuit was about how the shampoo damaged someone's hair).
Thank you, Sir. I really appreciate your response.

Good afternoon, folks

I'm looking to pick people's brains in the community about their opinions on long hair, formal styles of long hair, and how to generally not look like a muppet while having long hair. Bit of background - I'm tall with longhair & joined the forum to discuss shaving & related topics with likeminded folk. What sort of styles would you recommend for a formal / smart casual setting?
Cordially,
Budgie
Id say that as long as you avoid the man bun, you'll be fine.

I've had my hair long for a very long time. I'm a massage therapist so I don't need to be formal for work. It probably seems more fitting that my hair is long!:laugh: Also I have a client that owns a barbershop/salon who "tips" me in premium shampoos and conditioners, which keeps my mane looking amazing.

I think some guys can pull it off in a formal way, and some can't. Same with a bun.

I’m guessing this isnt a B&B approved style 😭

It doesnt work for my job either, but it made my daughters and i smile, so at least i got that going for me.

C4367085-29CA-467A-BFE8-244D80CD3324.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Long hair and I doubt it has any style. Usually just wear a bandanna BUT...

a few years ago I was in the neighborhood Walgreen's and there was a mother and daughter in the school supplies aisle picking out the absolutely essential things for the soon to begin school year. The daughter was picking out pencils and matching notebook covers and pencil cases and folders and those big erasers that have funny animal shapes and ...

It was back and forth between the cart and the shelves and hands on hips and putting things side by side and then back on the shelves to try a different selection. She was really serious and every time she turned it was a swirl and her waist length ponytail raced to keep up with her.

I kinda chuckled a said "Boy I wish I knew how to make a pony tail like that!"

Another swirl and eyes looking up at me in astonishment and hands on hips and "Even a second grader knows how to make a ponytail!"

The mother admonished her and told her not to be rude but all mom got was "But it's the truth!"

I said all was fine and ask the young lady if she could teach me how.

So there I was, in Walgreen's, kneeling down with a very mature maybe third or fourth grader behind me, mom trying had not to laugh as the little devil grabbed my hair and pulled so hard I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to close my eyes again.

"You've got skinny hair!"

"You know you're going bald?"

"Stay still!"

Again mom started to comment but once again the response "But it's the truth!"

From somewhere unseen she pulled out something like a cloth covered rubber band and suddenly I was released.

But I had a pony tail, and then a lesson on scuncis and bows and clips and bands and wraps and ties and ...

Mom couldn't stop laughing and the young lady couldn't stop teaching and I was still learning how to blink again but I did have a pony tail.
This made my day! Thanks for sharing.

I was just thinking this, and I'm no fan of the man bun look, but I just realized it would look great on the right guy in a black tuxedo. Seriously.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Haven’t cut my hair since covid was a thing. My wife hates it, but I like it. I probably look terrible with it, but who cares lol. I’m in the trades so it doesn’t matter how it looks. Most of the times it’s up in a ponytail/bun so I don’t rip my scalp off running drills and saws.

Being pretty thin on top, keeping what is left pretty short works for me, but unless you are in a job that means long hair is not allowed / safe etc., then do what you want with it. Even if I could grow it long, I am not sure I would, living in the tropics a sweaty head is not pleasant...

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've always worn my hair longish. Never shoulder length, never a mullet, but certainly over the collar and long on the sides and top with some layering. Now that I'm seventy-four, I still have it, so I do rock it.

Grooming is important, though. I usually blow out my hair, then set it with some spray. Gotta' keep it trimmed though, so it's off to the stylist monthly to deal with the ends (and at my age, the eyebrows).

Worked in advertising and media my entire career, so long hair was a non-issue--even in boardrooms. In fact, it was an asset in a business where looking "creative" is important.

I also hope I didn’t come across as anti-long hair or closed minded about it. The truth is I like long hair but I just meant that having long hair in the world we live and work in often has negative consequences. It shouldn’t, but it does for most of us. I’d hate to advise someone to wear their hair long and then have their career in banking be a failure. That did happen to someone I know who worked at a bank and refused to cut his hair, and it was a shame because he was very smart. He also never had a girlfriend.

I've worn long hair for the last, hmm, 15 years, at least. It's wavy and well kept, now it's trending from salt and pepper to more uniformly gray. In terms of formal, frankly when I wear a tux, I wear it down. It works. A ponytail is less formal in my opinion and it's what I do when I'm working and trying to keep it out of my face. Sometimes I'll put it in a braid. And I have worked in litigation support in high profile law firms for the past 5 years and have gotten nothing but respect from the "old guard" partners.

Pic from a couple years ago. The mustache was a little out of control, but you get the idea.
20191215_172727.jpg

Top Bottom