What's new

Great Covers

Farewell Milwaukee's cover of the Jayhawks "All the Right Reasons." I do not know why the Jayhawks are not covered more often. Gary Louris is a really good songwriter as was Mark Olson in the past for them. Other members of the group have also had some good songs.

I am new to Farewell Milwaukee. I am really liking them. Very alt country. A Minneapolis band.

So, August was the 30th anniversary of Metallica's Metallica, AKA The Black Album. I got my first Metallica tape in 1st grade and had just gotten out of 7th grade when this was released. I was kind of mad that they "sold out" with this record, but now I know it's a legend and one of their best; a hit's a hit, and this was a hit. That said, for ME this was the last Metallica record I really identified with and I'm not really connected to anything after it.

"Nothing Else Matters" was a deeply personal song written by James Hetfield (of course, Lars got a credit somehow) and he wasn't confident to even share it. He did and it became one of their biggest hits and one of their staple songs.

In time with the anniversary, Miley Cyrus of all people covers the song and Elton John plays piano on it. It sounds like a joke but it's true. She's had some controversial moments in her career but I think she's trying to get it together. It appears she has had throat surgery and has also become sober. She's trying some new things.

I always knew she had a talent but the trials of being a child star are harsh. The industry can just chew up and spit out some of these poor kids. I may have posted it before but you can also check out her version of Dolly Parton's (her Godmother) "Jolene" from way back in 2012.

Here's a live version of "Nothing Else Matters" with the band on Howard Stern a week or so ago; Elton John wasn't there, sorry. Not the best cover ever, but I appreciate the collaboration.

One of the best covers I've ever heard is The Derailers version of Prince's "Raspberry Beret" which appears as a hidden track on their album "Reverb Deluxe". Try to imagine a countryfied, honky-tonk, Bakersfield sound version. It doesn't sound like it would work but it's an excellent cover. If you go to the link below at AllMusic.com you can go to the last track and hear a 30 second sample. I couldn't find a sound link or video anywhere else on the internet. Part of a great cover is making the song your own while at the same time, keeping the spirit of the original song and keeping the original song recognizable. The Derailers took this song to a place that is so different from the original yet they made it work as if it were their own original song.

Reverb Deluxe - The Derailers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic - https://www.allmusic.com/album/reverb-deluxe-mw0000025675

Last edited:
This guy from Norway does a ton of covers and turns them into heavy metal. He plays everything and does all the mixing and mastering and shooting of the videos himself.

I know of Adele but I honestly don't know a single song by her. He covered this song though and for me as a brand new song (to me) it was great. Also check out his "Africa" by Toto cover.

Top Bottom