What's new

Thoughts on the Alexander Simpson Trafalgar T3

I ordered the Trafalgar T3 and it came today. So far, I am very happy with it.

It came packaged in a plain Jane red box, and was wrapped in tissue paper and styrofoam.

First impressions were it was a somewhat large brush, but not the necessarily tall. I like it. It is very soft on the hand, and when swirled on the hand it had a good amount of of backbone in my opinion. It has more than my west coast shaving synthetic, although that brush feels softer to me.

I grabbed a trusty tub of proraso red and my scuttle and went to work. This brush held a lot of water. I rang it out good and got to loading. It loaded very well. It had just the right amount of backbone that it didn't take long to get a good amount in the brush. Took to the bowl and the first batch turned out a little too watery. I squeezed the brush and gave it a few flicks before loading, but apparently that wasn't enough.

Next I tried face lathering. I wrung the brush out a little better this time, loaded a little more soap, and this time it was a little dry. A pass under the faucet a few times and I had a lather worthy of a shave.

The face feel of the brush is perfect for me. Soft with backbone. It is noticeably less stiff than my west coast shaving synthetic and less scritchy than my badgers.

For my needs, this brush is about perfect. Soft, backbone, loads easy, holds lots of soap. I'm very glad I went with the T3 size as well. I wanted a large brush, and I think I would have been disappointed with the T2.

In my personal opinion, this would be an excellent beginner brush. It's soft, it's easy to load, no stink, break in, maintenance like badgers or boars.

Obviously like everything in shaving and other hobbies, this may not be the brush for you. If you like scritchy or smaller knots, this isn't for you. But for the price I paid for this to be delivered to my door, I for one am thrilled.
IMG_20211009_190449815.jpg
IMG_20211009_190728534.jpg
IMG_20211009_191943537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. I’m sure that you’re going to enjoy your new T3 as much as I’m enjoying my T2. I have several other “bigger brushes,” so the size of the T2 allows it to fit in perfectly as a member of my regular brush rotation.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dear Mark @A.E. Simpson 1919 , I must confess that I was quite skeptical on synthetic knots and for a long time, too. My opinion changed entirely when you introduced the superb Trafalgar Series. I was so highly impressed with these outstanding brushes that I got all 3 sizes and, after that, I also got a backup of each!

I now have my eyes on a couple of Chubby 2 Synthetics, maybe for Christmas.

Thank you so very much Mark for the excellence of your products and the unrivalled customer service.

Very truly yours,

Marco

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dear Mark @A.E. Simpson 1919 , I must confess that I was quite skeptical on synthetic knots and for a long time, too. My opinion changed entirely when you introduced the superb Trafalgar Series. I was so highly impressed with these outstanding brushes that I got all 3 sizes and, after that, I also got a backup of each!

I now have my eyes on a couple of Chubby 2 Synthetics, maybe for Christmas.

Thank you so very much Mark for the excellence of your products and the unrivalled customer service.

Very truly yours,

Marco
I know that you enjoy smaller badger knots, Marco. While I am fairly certain that the Chubby 2 would delight you, I also believe that the Duke 3 synthetic would bring you great pleasure.

duke chubby synths.jpeg

How much of a size difference is there between the 2 and 3?
Trafalgar T1 Approximate Specifications:
  • Overall brush height - 82mm
  • Handle height - 40mm
  • Knot loft - 42mm
  • Knot diameter - 23mm
Trafalgar T2 Approximate Specifications:
  • Overall brush height - 90mm
  • Handle height - 46mm
  • Knot loft - 44mm
  • Knot diameter - 24mm
Trafalgar T3 Approximate Specifications:
  • Overall brush height - 100mm
  • Handle height - 50mmm
  • Knot loft - 50mm
  • Knot diameter - 26mm

While the handles are quite a bit different is size, the knots in the T1 and T2 feel almost identical.

The T3 is a lot bigger than the other two. The T3 I had measured close to 30mm even though the specs say 26mm.

proxy.php
Thank you. That puts it into perspective. Looking at the T2 I think I am happy going with the T3, at least for my preference

The T3 has been my daily brush for the last year. I mainly use shave sticks and the T3 creates a great face lather. Also the brush holds enough lather for 3 passes easily, even though I only have a 2 pass shave.
It is a faultless brush at a great price. I was that impressed I bought a T2 for a travel brush.
20210614_113557.jpg

Top Bottom