What's new

Is a shavette/cut-throat razor really THAT much better than a safety razor?

Variety for me is the spice of life. I enjoy using DE's, SE's and a Feather Artist shavette. I am glad I have all three options and mix them up regularly. I get close and irritation free shaves with all three. There is a best, but that best varies each day depending on my mood.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If you do strictly one pass wtg would shavette give you a closer shave then a de?

Not necessarily. I've tried WTG-only with DE, slant, SE Gem, SE AC, 1/2DE shavette and AC shavette. All of them, of course, remove the easy stuff. That can leave an "SAS" or "Socially Acceptable Shave" that shows I at least shaved, but it is in no sense a really good shave. For that I need ATG. My usual routine with all but the very best razors is to do two WTG passes to take off as much of the easy stuff as possible, then one ATG pass to put the finish on.

If you have rather soft and fine hair/whiskers it'll work better than if you have harder hair.

What I think a single WTG pass with a shavette will do for you is to give you some safe practice at using your shavette. Many guys -- myself included -- keep a safety razor loaded and ready while using a shavette in the learning curve. Sometimes I just need to put down the naked blade, step back, take a deep breath, and finish the job with a safety razor. Other times I use it to clean up around the edges and ears where a slip with a naked blade has more serious consequences. Don't want to end up looking like Vincent Van Gogh!

O.H.

Thanks to all for commenting on this thread. I was watching a video on YouTube; someone shaving with a cut-throat razor. When my wife glanced at my iPad, she saw the part where he was shaving his neck with it and it scared her completely senseless. She won’t allow me to use a cut-throat razor. But she is very happy with me using my Sledgehammer due to the heavy slanted safety bar and it’s shaving quality.

Jason.

Thanks to all for commenting on this thread. I was watching a video on YouTube; someone shaving with a cut-throat razor. When my wife glanced at my iPad, she saw the part where he was shaving his neck with it and it scared her completely senseless. She won’t allow me to use a cut-throat razor. But she is very happy with me using my Sledgehammer due to the heavy slanted safety bar and it’s shaving quality.

Jason.
I'm amused by this for some reason. I use a straight on the back of Mrs. Scandalous's neck when she cuts her hair.

Honestly in terms of total quantity I'm sure I cut myself more frequently with a cartridge as a teenager. I have lost more blood to a straight but usually it's when I stab my ear with a square point. But it's rare enough that no one loses sleep over it, least of all me.

Many good 👍 arguments on both sides of this issue. But whether we prefer straight or double edge razors I think we all can agree that the straight razor is the superior murder weapon.
You may be right but I need to do a few more murders with different razors to be absolutely certain. I think the western SR may increase the risk of cutting my own fingers and thus failing to complete a murder. Kamisori could be a solution. But, as I say, more testing required.

Logic says that a blade is a blade an edge is an edge, it shouldn’t matter which one is used. Bringing an edge in contact with the skin at the proper angle is the same thing no matter how you present it. True more skill is required with the straight razor and there is the huge cool factor but the results have to be the same. It’s only logical.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Logic says that a blade is a blade an edge is an edge, it shouldn’t matter which one is used. Bringing an edge in contact with the skin at the proper angle is the same thing no matter how you present it. True more skill is required with the straight razor and there is the huge cool factor but the results have to be the same. It’s only logical.
In theory, yes but I do find the straight razor to provide a more comfortable shave without nicks or irritation.

Jason.

Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I have never been fearful for my life while using my straight razor. I have been cautious, but also confident. Besides, if you are putting enough pressure on a razor to slit your throat you aren't doing it right in the first place

I see post after post after post of people saying "why would you use a straight razor?" Or "I want to try a straight razor but I'm afraid of cutting myself". Yes, a straight razor is potentially dangerous, but so are chainsaws, fried foods, motor vehicles, alcohol, table saws, tobacco, firearms, kitchen knives, and making toast in the bathtub.

In my year of experience with straights/shavettes, I have found the easiest way to cut yourself is when you accidentally move the razor side to side instead of up and down. And even then, I haven't cut myself bad enough to leave a scar. Again, no pressure.

My worst shaving injury was actually with a safety razor, Gillette super speed to be exact, where I accidentally took the top off of a bump near my lip. It took a long time to heal.

I have quite a few safety razors, and if DE is what you enjoy, that's great! I use my DE/SE razors to change things up once in a while. I used to use them if I didn't have "time", but now I have become more proficient with the straight than a DE/SE.

I'm not trying to convince you to start SR shaving, but if you fear is fatal injury, it may be irrational.

I'm no expert, but from my limited experience with DE, SR and shavettes that work with half DE blades, I find the shavettes to be the worst. The AC shavettes are probably better though.

Good afternoon all.

Today when I was in my local chemist (I am from UK, we call the said shops chemists, not drug stores) I saw this for sale:

Wikinson Sword's own shavette razor.

I was tempted to buy it but I want to know if a cut-throat razor (or shavette) is really THAT much better than a safety razor in terms of closeness; given the extra effort and precautions that are involved. Or is it just the 'ritual' that cut-throat razor enthusiasts enjoy?

My safety razor gives a very good shave so the whole point of this question is to see if its worth upgrading to a shavette/cut-throat as my skills improve.

Jason.
Superdrug and Savers are drugstores.

Top Bottom