What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

Fantastic review, Dan. I was trying to wait for Seville to come out in the Omnibus base, but think I have to throw in the towel now. (For that matter, I also just ordered a tub of Electric Sheep!)

I have dry skin, and B&M Excelsior can leave my skin feeling a little dryer then Siero, CK6, SV and others. I’ve chalked that up in part to not using enough water. I’m interested to see if Omnibus solves that problem once and for all.

I have FMoM. If you're asking with respect to scent, then no. Leviathan and FMoM are not even on the same planet. Think dark roasted Starbucks coffee beans, a soft oily leather, and sandalwood to round it all out. I would agree that it's one of the greatest scents in wet shaving.

Yes, I failed to put that in there (new guy nerves) but I did mean smell...just on description they both seem to be on the “dark” side.
Thanks for elaborating!
M

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Fantastic review, Dan. I was trying to wait for Seville to come out in the Omnibus base, but think I have to throw in the towel now. (For that matter, I also just ordered a tub of Electric Sheep!)

I have dry skin, and B&M Excelsior can leave my skin feeling a little dryer then Siero, CK6, SV and others. I’ve chalked that up in part to not using enough water. I’m interested to see if Omnibus solves that problem once and for all.
Cully, I hope they work well for you, my friend. Skin conditions can be quite subjective, and my conclusions are just that (mine). Keep us posted!

4 in a row for me. Have had no need for Thayers or alum stick- usually part of my regular shaves. After shave applied directly after my shave and my skin feels soft/silky smooth. No alum or witch hazel required.

Omnibus is very different than any soap i've tried. There is almost no structure, it feels almost gel-like and with each pass it just about drips off my razor head like slightly watered down elmers glue. Maybe i'm over-hydrating the soap because that's what i'm used to doing. But getting great shaves so it must be the right lather for me. Leviathan is fantastic and this is a fine soap if you're looking for great shaves and post shave feel. Anyone looking to take a pic of lather on a fancy custom brush will most likely be very disappointed with this base because there is no fluff about it whatsoever. If you need a lather that hydrates well with what seems like less water than usual and sticks without running off then this is your soap.

If the Omnibus base performs similar to Stirling Mutton, I am all in! For the life of me, I have never gotten an elite tier lather with any prior B&M base. I get a good shave, and slickness is completely fine, but never to the level seemingly of everyone else.
Really? Huh, Reserve was the first base that really "Wow'd" me

Really? Huh, Reserve was the first base that really "Wow'd" me
I know, it really has been an odd thing for me with B&M. I still have some of the glissant soaps, and excelsior too, which are still very good, but I think for me maybe the water band is just too narrow or something.

Yeah, if he runs out it will only be until he finishes another batch. You're not in danger of missing out out if you wait, I wouldn't think

Sample ordered seems like a risky scent to me🤞 I don't like hallows at all the only B&M soap I disliked. Lavanille was too weak and wasn't sweet. I could barely pick up leather maybe it was just that sample.

I have FMoM. If you're asking with respect to scent, then no. Leviathan and FMoM are not even on the same planet. Think dark roasted Starbucks coffee beans, a soft oily leather, and sandalwood to round it all out. I would agree that it's one of the greatest scents in wet shaving.

It's all breakfast though - coffee + pancakes & maple syrup! 😁

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
4 in a row for me. Have had no need for Thayers or alum stick- usually part of my regular shaves. After shave applied directly after my shave and my skin feels soft/silky smooth. No alum or witch hazel required.

Omnibus is very different than any soap i've tried. There is almost no structure, it feels almost gel-like and with each pass it just about drips off my razor head like slightly watered down elmers glue. Maybe i'm over-hydrating the soap because that's what i'm used to doing. But getting great shaves so it must be the right lather for me. Leviathan is fantastic and this is a fine soap if you're looking for great shaves and post shave feel. Anyone looking to take a pic of lather on a fancy custom brush will most likely be very disappointed with this base because there is no fluff about it whatsoever. If you need a lather that hydrates well with what seems like less water than usual and sticks without running off then this is your soap.
I shaved again today with Leviathan. Used my DG badger this time and you’re so right about this soap NOT generating fluffy lather. I know the term ‘low structure’ bothers some folks, but it really does accurately describe this base. I used a little spray bottle to add hot water to my face, and the sheen it created was pretty impressive. Slick, slick, slick.

(I also noticed the lather ‘dripping’ off the Wolf during the shave.)

I’ll be eager to read others’ impressions. You and I cannot be the only owners!
FFFFB21F-92C8-42AF-9A4C-C1144CFABC6E.jpeg

We may be over-hydrating. Does omnibus need way less water? Or maybe more agitation with a brush? My guess is some people won't be happy with the lack of volume this soap provides- just because <insert non-sense here>. My lather has been consistent and its giving me great shaves so i can't complain. It's almost like the reserve base but with far greater hydration with less water and post shave properties. I love the feeling of my face after my shave- soft and smooth. Most of the time i apply an A/S and it leaves my face tacky and sometimes greasy but not with this soap/aftershave.

Going back to the subject of hydrating lather...when is it enough to stop and call it 'done'? For me, it's a feeling of very little resistance painting the lather on. I can feel the brush gliding over with little resistance then i know the lather is good. I'm getting there very quickly with omnibus.

Top Bottom