What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

My Sunday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: DOVO Best Quality 5/8" Full Hollowed​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: WCS Beacon Silvertip Badger 24mm​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​
9*.2/10 DFS!

Brush: Rudy Vey Jade Samurai 26mm Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
Soap: MDC Original
Razor: WR2 SS SB 1.35mm w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: 4711, Hyaluronic Acid

10/10

Another amazing shave the first use of the Personna Israeli Red yesterday and first use of the Wizamet SI today were just to easy to get BBS’s

86995371-1156-442E-A69B-4EA701A0D06D.jpeg
100B171A-457B-41D4-88F3-1EAB5509F59E.jpeg

Sunday's shave
The Forgotten Blades edition

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Merkur Slant 37C-HD
Blade: NOS Schick Plus Platinum, Teflon coated, #6
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Stirling synthetic tuxedo
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Floid, The Original A/S splash

DFS, 9.0 / 10

Nice! Still

View attachment 1334806

Love the blade, the Merkur has always been perplexing to me because I don't feel like it shaves very differently than the plain Merkur 34C. If it shaves closer, then maybe I would not have rated this shave as highly as I did for #6 otherwise. I will di #7 tomorrow in the flare tip again.

View attachment 1334810
I agree that the 37C doesn't shave very differently than the 34C, but I do detect a difference. I think the 37C is a bit more efficient though neither one is aggressive imo. I used the 34C this morning and almost every Sunday. I rarely use my 37C. I should use it more. Thanks for the post.

Lovely Vector shave:
tempImagezRA0Al.jpg

Brush: PAA Starcraft
Lather: Tabac
Blade: Kai ProTouch (1)
Razor: Vector

Great BBS shave today on less than 24 hours of growth. No blood or irritation. I'll deduct a tenth for the results not lasting quite as long as yesterday's shave with the Blackbird. Rating: 9.9/10.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
0DBF8680-733C-4475-98BA-ACFF2D8A9790.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapNoble Otter Monarch, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB Sunset G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorPAA Crimson Ghost, USA 🇺🇸
BladeDerby Premium, Oman 🇴🇲
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Proraso Balm Italy 🇮🇹
FragranceRalph Lauren Polo Red, USA 🇺🇸
Rating8/10

Today it started pleasantly enough in the shave studio. Happily I went about my business getting shaved. During the shave I had a few moments when I was stalked by the home shavers natural enemy, a heinous predator known as the teenager daughter. Opening the studio door I heard that immortal words “Oh your here”. Fortunately she moved on quickly much to my relief allowing me to complete a work-a-day shave in peace.

Razor: Gillette - 1955 Red Tip SuperSpeed (Birth Year)
Blade: Personna - Super Stainless (Electro-Coated) Vintage (1st)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Cashmere 26mm
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Spearhead Shaving - Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Spearhead Shaving - Seaforth! Heather (toner)
View attachment 1334669
Shave Rating: 10/10
Seeing Red!
No, I’m not boiling mad, I’m just happy to shave with my beloved Red Tip. It’s always a pleasure.
I decided it was time to give these vintage Personna blades a try. They actually came with the razor when I purchased it. I have no idea when these blades were manufactured.
View attachment 1334676
The shave went well. The blade was as smooth as silk. What more could a man ask for.
The Seaforth Heather was uber thick and creamy. I whipped up way too much. Note to self: Use less!
While I was building my lather I was thinking it was much like PAA CK6.
The matching aftershave feels nice and leaves me smelling like a chick magnet. This is a toner, so if you crave that “afterburn”, you may not appreciate it as much.
What do you think about that Seaforth Heather soap and AS?

Sept Slant Mon 27 SOTD
Soap PAA Cavendish
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade Shark Super Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + PAA Cavendish Splash.
My number 1 soap! Really love this particular pipe-tobacco scent and the lather is top-notch too...very rich, creamy, and super slick...
A very good shave with this razor paired with the blade. Very easy, smooth, and comfortable 3passes for a bbs finish.
Would have been perfect except a bump was loped off...dang! The matching aftershave was just excellent!! Rating 9.5/10
20210927_111449.jpg

Haverford is such a sleeper! Whatever that undertone is that comes from the soap scent....almost like a cedar-y smell (maybe that is the tobacco?).... I just want my whole house to smell like it.
Hey, thanks! I totally agreed with you. Super nice scent, can fill small bathroom type and hence I get the full set!
However, my number 1 is PAA Cavendish...number 2 is between Haverford and Henri et Victoria CCC...

Prep : Warm Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (D1)
Brush: Semogue 610 Boar
Soap: Tabac Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Nivea AS Balm
Rating : 9.73/10 :pipe:

Very close, comfortable and smooth BBS in 3 passes ! :001_wub:

Warm shower
Cold water prep
Grooming Dept pre shave, unscented, original formula
SV Cubebe soap, bowl lathered with 4 drops argan oil
Semogue SOC Boar
Timeless 0.68
Gellette silver blue blade, 3
SMN Emulsione Analcolica balm

The silver blue gets smoother with each shave.
The GD pre shave greatly augments the amount and quality of lather from any soap.

10/10

Regards,
Stan

Excellent start to today😍
- Blackland Brassbird OC
-Rapira Super Stainless (1st)
-Grizzly Bay v7 fanchurian badger
- Capt Choice Copper Bowl

-PAA mentholated peach cube
-First Line Shaving James trifecta
20210926_211018.jpg

This blade and razor combo is perfect. So smooth and efficient. I could sell my 20 other razors and be content with my blackbirds alone.

Mea culpa...

... or @AimlessWanderer 's bowl loading technique!

For olfactory reasons, I kept the sample of Fitjar's Fjelheim in spite of what I first felt as an underwhelming performance.

The scent is "pure". If you're into complex, elaborate scents, fjelheim is not for you. But if you like more "natural", "basic" scents, do give it a try! As cliché as it may be, it's Scandinavian minimalism at its best (you just need to figure out whether you're a "less is more" or "less is bore" kind of guy).

@AimlessWanderer 's bowl loading technique makes all the difference when face lathering a cream. Do try it!

It's a pity Fitjar is quite expensive - as with almost all things Scandinavian. I chose Fjelheim, because G&C had the sample on sale, but was (and still am) more curious about the other scents.

Gillette Brazilian Goodwill
GSB (1)
Simpson Trafalgar T3

Overall 7 - for the mea culpa!

PS. When the one and only @Marco himself reevaluates a soap/cream, life becomes easier for mortal shavers like us! Thank you, Sir!

418FD741-2176-479C-B142-500F4B04A58F.jpeg

27 September 2021
20210927_065808.jpg

Prep / Brush
Old Spice bar soap Using—Omega 11126--Italy
Razor:
King C Gillette (KCG) Closed Comb --China & Germany
Cream:
Proraso Green—Tube Only remaining cream
Blade:
Treet Platinum—Pakistan Shave #3 and out
Lathering Brush:
Gray Dog—Ohio
Bowl:
Q-shave Scuttle
Passes:
WTG and ATG light buffing
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, f/b Dickinson’s Witch Hazel f/b Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Jeris Musk for Men—USA
Rating(s):
8.0 CAS
Comments:
A dulling blade yielded a shave with lots of stubble, no nicks, but one very tiny weeper.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Monday's shave
The Forgotten Blades edition

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Merkur Slant 34C-HD
Blade: NOS Schick Plus Platinum, Teflon coated, #7
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Ever Ready 100 reknotted with TGN 22mm best badger
Post shave: Thayer's WH folowed by Floid, The Original A/S splash

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

In retrospect, I should have rated yesterday's shave this good. Turns out maybe the Merkur slant does shave a bit closer, not sure. but put the blade back in my most-used daily driver for today's shave and this blade is still going strong. I don't know how long it would go, because I'm not a blade longevity freak, if I get a week's worth of shaves from a blade, I'm done, even if it still works well, as this one does. I may keep this blade rather than binning it, though, and see how long it will go before it stops performing, just because I'm curious about it.

Clearly, this is a sharp blade, or I would not have been getting such great shaves with it out of a variety of razors this past week. But it does not have the "bite" I sense from a Feather. Super smooth even on shave #1, still mowing the lawn like crazy at #7. These are truly awesome blades.

Reloading yesterday's pic because lazy. Changed brush and razor.

2021-09-26_shave.jpg

Last edited:
9/27/21
Razor: GEM MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: Paladin 2xl 28mm Strawberry Amber
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Lather: Face
Aftershave: Stirling Ramblin’ Man

The Shave: WTG/ATG & XTG on goatee. Awesome lather, slick and plentiful with a great scent.
My Paladin 2xl is pure luxury. A giant fur ball massage.
I ❤ GEM MicroMatic Open Comb Razors! (That should be my bumper sticker.)
Ramblin’ Man closes out a wonderful shave. 9.9997/10
33037C55-6599-40AE-B9F3-3F7E59672CD5.jpeg
EC9F186C-6B41-4509-B322-8A84F88D0DB7.jpeg
0FD84403-00A8-4C07-AE64-52B51710D6D3.jpeg

Top Bottom