What's new

So What Do You Use as a Home Defense Weapon?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As I understand it British law allows for 'reasonable force' to be used by a homeowner under such circumstances. I think the case to which you are referring is that of 78 year old Richard Osborn-Brooks who stabbed with a screwdriver an intruder, Henry Vincent aged 37, who later died. Mr.Osborn-Brooks was, quite properly in my view, placed into custody while an investigation took place, and then released without charge. The force used was deemed to be reasonable in this case and the law worked as it should in my opinion.

Ah, thank you for the added detail. It was too long ago for me to remember, I thought Mr. Brooks was convicted. It seems like the outcome was just.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
On and 9MM loaded with 124gr HST +P by the bed and a Mossberg JM 930 loaded with 00 (bolt locked back. Hit the bolt release and ready to go!) in the corner.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have read through this with great interest. Here’s our home defense weapon(s).
We have 24 outdoor floodlights set on a timer, 12 cameras outside and 4 inside, alarm system, sunshades secured into the brick on all windows, personal weapons, and firearms
We have a plan in place for sheltering for us and our children and have practiced it.
We have decided that if one or more persons enter our home and reach us after being warned then they have made their decision and in turn have made our decision for us. Hopefully it will never happen.
They can take our material things but the line is drawn there.
6583D0FE-CE05-4EB9-AB5C-3AB83DE5E12A.jpeg

The backyard and sides of the house are just as well lighted.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, since the Schnauzers don’t seem to be effective, I keep a .32 KelTec in the lamp table by the sofa and a .38 Ruger revolver in my bedside night stand and a 12 gauge near by.

Not allowed to protect your home with a firearm in Canada so a Miltac CS1 resides in the night stand. S30V blade that's razor sharp.

I do have a biometric release handgun safe that I would like to bolt to my armoir shelve but its a tough sell for the misses.
Either a Sig .45 or 9mm Wesson would fit nicely:)
Id have to bury them in the backyard to avoid repercussion's. I'm ok with that!!
I also keep a pair of S&W handcuffs in the nightstand.

I've got a Kimber .45, with a .22 conversion barrel in the basement, along with a few thousand rounds of ammo for both. I also have a Walther PPK .380 with a few hundred rounds, but unless I have advance notice, none are easily accessible.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I was close. :). Is the book better then the movie?
Well, Beyond the horizon was interesting in that is a utopic and generically engineered future where one ubermench is bored with utopia and gets recruited by an also bored with utopia resistance and put in charge. All I will say is that is a huge mistake! As for Starship troopers... Definitely! The movie leaves out the classroom cut aways (replaced with the yay for our side "infomercials" clips) that addresses the philosophy that democracy cannot stand on its own and people must be ready to defend it! It was written in 1959 and Heinlien was a USN officer so the cold war vibe is clear but it stands today. It was on the USMC Commandants reading list for a reason but removed as some said it promoted military elitism...

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have an 870 12g that serves as my main home defense weapon. I also have pistols in small safes in a couple other areas in my house. Other than a few family heirlooms that have very little value to anyone other than my family I don’t really care about the stuff in my house, thats what I have insurance for. What I do care about are my kids and my wife. All of my children are young and would be unable to defend themselves. If there is an intruder/home invasion situation my first move is to get to my kids. My wife would also be heading toward them and is more than capable of taking care of herself. Anyone who gets in between me and my kids is going to have a very bad day. Once I get the kids and my wife together we’ll hole up and wait on LE. I’ve practiced clearing my house, but doing it alone and most likely at night is not something I want to do.
We live in a semi-rural area and response times for the local PD run around 5 minutes. Maybe I’m slightly paranoid but I’ve seen the aftermath of random home invasions and what can happen in a lot less than 5 minutes.

Is home invasion that prevalent now that you need to be armed to protect your property?

Sorry, I have never lived in such an environment anywhere in Asia or Australia.

I survived one. It happens more than one would think will happen. Be prepared! My primary pistol is a 1911 CCO .45ACP loaded with Gold Dot 230gr JHP's. Spare mag. Backup Glock 19 124+p JHP's. Both are my carry pieces. Three high powered lights. Use whatever you shoot well. Be prepared... be safe.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have an 870 12g that serves as my main home defense weapon. I also have pistols in small safes in a couple other areas in my house. Other than a few family heirlooms that have very little value to anyone other than my family I don’t really care about the stuff in my house, thats what I have insurance for. What I do care about are my kids and my wife. All of my children are young and would be unable to defend themselves. If there is an intruder/home invasion situation my first move is to get to my kids. My wife would also be heading toward them and is more than capable of taking care of herself. Anyone who gets in between me and my kids is going to have a very bad day. Once I get the kids and my wife together we’ll hole up and wait on LE. I’ve practiced clearing my house, but doing it alone and most likely at night is not something I want to do.
We live in a semi-rural area and response times for the local PD run around 5 minutes. Maybe I’m slightly paranoid but I’ve seen the aftermath of random home invasions and what can happen in a lot less than 5 minutes.

One friend came home to a busted front door. He couldn’t get through 9-1-1 so he cleared the house himself. A very harrowing experience.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
One friend came home to a busted front door. He couldn’t get through 9-1-1 so he cleared the house himself. A very harrowing experience.

This is my primary home invasion deterrent, Jake. He’s 75lbs of hair standing up, barking, growling, and charging right at whoever is at the door. I actually had a UPS driver leave a note on the door saying he wouldn’t deliver our packages anymore unless the dog was locked up in a room in the house. Apparently Jake scared him so much through the door he wouldn’t come back. When we moved and started looking at churches one of the pastors came by the house while we weren’t home. When we reminded him which house we lived him he said “oh yeah, the dog with the teeth.” Jake is generally very friendly as long as you stand your ground as he’s charging at you, it’s almost like a test. One time a plumber was in the house doing some work. When he was done he commented how protective of our kids the dog is. He said the whole time he was working Jake was between him and the kids and anytime he started walking in the general direction of the kids Jake was on his feet and watching him. Here he is in his condition yellow- all his people home and all outside doors closed.
4678317C-61D5-405B-AEA4-64CAA285C07C.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
This is my primary home invasion deterrent, Jake. He’s 75lbs of hair standing up, barking, growling, and charging right at whoever is at the door. I actually had a UPS driver leave a note on the door saying he wouldn’t deliver our packages anymore unless the dog was locked up in a room in the house. Apparently Jake scared him so much through the door he wouldn’t come back. When we moved and started looking at churches one of the pastors came by the house while we weren’t home. When we reminded him which house we lived him he said “oh yeah, the dog with the teeth.” Jake is generally very friendly as long as you stand your ground as he’s charging at you, it’s almost like a test. One time a plumber was in the house doing some work. When he was done he commented how protective of our kids the dog is. He said the whole time he was working Jake was between him and the kids and anytime he started walking in the general direction of the kids Jake was on his feet and watching him. Here he is in his condition yellow- all his people home and all outside doors closed.
View attachment 1334991

Criminals are by large a spineless opportunistic bunch. Any dog probably drops your chances of a home burglary to zero lol. A Pit, Rotty, or Dobie roaming the yard is even better I think. I could never leave my dog outside tho. He would be a permanent house dog.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I responded to a home invasion in the mid 2000’s where 3 armed men, kicked in a couple’s door, tied them up and pistol whipped the both of them, where they both we’re hanging onto life.

After they loaded up all their belongings in the couple’s car, before they left, they took a very large pot of boiling water and poured it all over the tied up couple.

The male was the only one who survived.

I'm also in Canada, and a firearm owner. One thing that's made very clear in the firearm safety course you MUST go through before getting a firearms license is that if you use a firearm in a home defense situation, you are definitely getting arrested and charged for it. You'd have to have a really good lawyer and REALLY clear evidence that the home invaders intended you or your family direct harm and were armed themselves to have a chance of getting out of the charge.

Actual advice given by an acquaintance who is an RCMP officer for what to do if your home is invaded in Canada:
- EITHER leave them alone OR kill them. If you do anything in between, the court case is going to get very messy.
- If you choose to do anything to them, NEVER under any circumstances hit them in the back. If you injure the back half of their body then in the eyes of the law they were fleeing and you are now the aggressor.
- If you choose to do anything, DO NOT use anything that could be argued was only intended to be used as a weapon. Kitchen knife, baseball bat, golf club, frying pan, ski pole, etc etc. The only reason you'd be carrying one of those around your house during a home invasion is to use it as a weapon. A 6 D-cell battery maglite, on the other hand? That's just a flashlight; you needed it to see in the dark.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Frying pan.
I’ve actually seen a cast iron skillet split in 2 after it was used on someone’s head. I had no idea they could be broken. It wasn’t a home invasion, it was a lady who’d finally had enough of the years of abuse she suffered from her husband. I got to take the guy to the Hosp, massive head injury. Ended up putting him under and intubating him on the way in. He died. The grand jury, rightfully in my opinion, let her walk free.

Reactions: Anu

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I hope I NEVER have to discharge my guns in my home. People think I can’t wait for the chance to empty a mag into a bad guy, but that is the farthest thing from the truth. I would hazard the guess that the majority of gun owners feel the same.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’ve actually seen a cast iron skillet split in 2 after it was used on someone’s head. I had no idea they could be broken. It wasn’t a home invasion, it was a lady who’d finally had enough of the years of abuse she suffered from her husband. I got to take the guy to the Hosp, massive head injury. Ended up putting him under and intubating him on the way in. He died. The grand jury, rightfully in my opinion, let her walk free.

What was the saying? Rather be judged by twelve than carried by six?

Top Bottom