What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

The Rams won. And my fantasy team is KILLING it. So. That justifies the good stuff…

55A671B6-4F0B-486C-A8A6-F84C0AE7F39B.jpeg

What kind of cookies? Please DON'T say Orios... The thought of Orios with WT101 kinda turns the stomach 🤮

Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal... Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies sound even better!
Definitely not Oreos. They were snickerdoodles. I thought the cinnamon would match up well. Not sure it worked quite like I had hoped, but still decent.

I enjoyed more of the SunKing Octoberfest and WT101 over the weekend. For this tasting, the WT had lots of caramel with cinnamon on the finish. It also seemed thicker than earlier pours. I'm intrigued by why the viscosity seems to have changed for me, but the bottle has become more enjoyable for sure.

Michters Rye Old Fadhioned with my brother in law…View attachment 1333958
Well, people have been telling me to try this for some time now. I was skeptical. I don't like "new-fangled gins", and in that I even include Bombay Saphire. I like the traditional old English Dry styles, with Beefeater and Bombay dry (greenish bottle) at the top of my list followed by Tanq.

This was on sale, and I really, really hesitated to get the big bottle because I was worried about being disappointed. I should have followed my instincts. Made my usual 5-1 martini with Dolin dry and a cocktail olive, just a little dirty. Ugh. Awful. Now what am I going to do with the rest of it?

Aviation Cocktails, I suppose. Not a huge fan of those, though. Maybe for Negronis? That might work. I'll figure something out. But hope, hope, hope I've learned my lesson not to experiment with gins for a classic martini. I'm too old to waste time trying new gins, I have it figured out, and there's only so many more martinis in my life! I'll figure out something to do with this stuff. :001_rolle

proxy.php

I completely agree - there is a point at which gin no longer accords with the traditional sense of the word and too many of the “new wave” no longer taste like the gins I grew up with. Couple that with exorbitant prices for a spirit that most of the time will be drowned in mixer and one would be forgiven for wondering what the fuss is about….

I completely agree - there is a point at which gin no longer accords with the traditional sense of the word and too many of the “new wave” no longer taste like the gins I grew up with. Couple that with exorbitant prices for a spirit that most of the time will be drowned in mixer and one would be forgiven for wondering what the fuss is about….
I really like Cadenhead's Dry Gin in 46% and 55% - classic recipe from the 70ies with a touch of Saffron - decent pricing.

Cadenhead's

IMG_1250.jpg

As an absinthe fan, I was pleased to discover that there is an absinthe made right here in Arizona. It's called Absinthe Minded.

My review: Disgusting and awful. Tastes like Pine Sol. Barely louches. I'm going to grab a different absinthe to get the taste out of my mouth. I've donated it to my septic tank. Hope it doesn't eat through it.

Top Bottom