What's new

Name me some aggressive razors at reasonable prices pls

Just wondering what bracket does the yaqi helmet fall in between compared to the the rest of the yaqi range in terms of aggressiveness?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
is it more or less aggressive then the yaqi helmet?
I have not used the Yaqi Helmet but others have informed me that is the case. The Yaqi slant is the one that I use with the greatest caution.

Here is one review that I read regarding the Yaqi slant that supports my view on the razor.

Aggressive...very aggressive
Yaqi make a number of aggressive heads - the Beast, the Grill (aka Knights Helmet) and the Slant. Online, you see various people argue over which one is the most aggressive. For me personally (owning them all), this Slant is the most aggressive Yaqi head. There is a safety bar, but it may as well not exist - using this Slant feels like shaving with a straight razor. The blade feel is immense and you are acutely aware that you need to be very careful when running this over your face. I can't shave with it every day, my every day aggressiveness level is more down around the 6-7 mark (Yaqi's cobbled closed comb head specifically), but I can pick this one up once a week or two and as long as I take it slow, and very very light pressure - and have total concentration on what I am doing - it produces an extremely close BBS shave in two passes (this aggressive, you do not need a third pass, minimise the number of passes is a good rule of thumb and your skin will thank you). Recommended for people who already know they like aggressive razors (if you have never tried an aggressive razor before, this is not the one you are looking for, it is way too much - I'd strongly advise slowly making your way up the aggressiveness ladder first, starting with one that is a tiny bit aggressive but not much).

Last edited:
Here are some ideas:

. Charles
thanks for sharing mate :)

proxy.php

Parker razors tend to be more aggressive. Their 55SL slant is anything but ‘semi’ and definitely not mild. Good blade gap, torquing and exposure. Very efficient (be careful with blade choice though). They are good quality for the price…which is cheap.

Reactions: saj
FATIP! Their open combs are made from proper metal (brass) and are super efficient. I found the slant not really adding anything to the standard version. And they are very affordable.

Reactions: saj
-Fatip OC. Smooth but efficient (questionable finish and possible alignment issues)
-Fatip OC Slant. Less smooth that its original OC brother but more efficient (questionable finish and possible alignment issues)
-GC .84 Jaws. Smoothest of the aforementioned and very efficient (amazing fit and finish)

And If you wanna splurge...
-Blackland Blackbird CC (I haven't tried the OC so I can't comment on it). Very smooth and efficient (amazing fit and finish)
-Rex Ambassador. Not as smooth as the Bird, equally efficient but has more blade feel especially in the higher settings (amazing fit and finish)

-Fatip OC. Smooth but efficient (questionable finish and possible alignment issues)
-Fatip OC Slant. Less smooth that its original OC brother but more efficient (questionable finish and possible alignment issues)
-GC .84 Jaws. Smoothest of the aforementioned and very efficient (amazing fit and finish)

And If you wanna splurge...
-Blackland Blackbird CC (I haven't tried the OC so I can't comment on it). Very smooth and efficient (amazing fit and finish)
-Rex Ambassador. Not as smooth as the Bird, equally efficient but has more blade feel especially in the higher settings (amazing fit and finish)
I have 3 Fatips, none of them show any alignment issues.
Regarding the finish: I understand zamak/cast razors need a few layers of stuff to make the final layer stick. Fatip uses brass and doesn't need all the in between layers. As a result machining marks will remain visible, imho adding to the 'look' of the razor. THat being said, I started wirth a Piccolo SE and the black layer on the top cap started coming off pretty quick, It is now gone for 80% showing a glossy white finish underneath (nickle or chrome???). I since bought a golden slant and my latest one is a Wood Ulivo which has the head in a chrome finish. No issues whatsoever with the finish of these two... But somehow, my 'crippled' SE remains my favourite...

Brass is superior to zamak and I am not really worried about the finish. But some may be, that's why I mention it. Now regarding alignment, some need to be fiddled with for a mere seconds. Some none, and some others are beyond redemption. I had a Fatip were the posts were so messed up I couldn't align the blade for the life of me. I have a "crippled" SE as well, gifted from a friend. The finish of the top cap is far gone (looks like it has been burnt off) but the shaves are excellent and thankfully with no alignment issues :thumbup1:

I have not used the Yaqi Helmet but others have informed me that is the case. The Yaqi slant is the one that I use with the greatest caution.

Here is one review that I read regarding the Yaqi slant that supports my view on the razor.

Aggressive...very aggressive
Yaqi make a number of aggressive heads - the Beast, the Grill (aka Knights Helmet) and the Slant. Online, you see various people argue over which one is the most aggressive. For me personally (owning them all), this Slant is the most aggressive Yaqi head. There is a safety bar, but it may as well not exist - using this Slant feels like shaving with a straight razor. The blade feel is immense and you are acutely aware that you need to be very careful when running this over your face. I can't shave with it every day, my every day aggressiveness level is more down around the 6-7 mark (Yaqi's cobbled closed comb head specifically), but I can pick this one up once a week or two and as long as I take it slow, and very very light pressure - and have total concentration on what I am doing - it produces an extremely close BBS shave in two passes (this aggressive, you do not need a third pass, minimise the number of passes is a good rule of thumb and your skin will thank you). Recommended for people who already know they like aggressive razors (if you have never tried an aggressive razor before, this is not the one you are looking for, it is way too much - I'd strongly advise slowly making your way up the aggressiveness ladder first, starting with one that is a tiny bit aggressive but not much).

Hard to imagine anything being more aggressive than the Knight Helmet. Totally flawed razor design, IMO.

how does the yaqi helmet de razor compare to the muhle r41 or ikon tech?

whats the general consensus? just to give me an idea

I like the inexpensive Helmet more than the R41 it seems smoother and more efficient. The iKon Tek well I haven't used it in a while but To me it's liked better than the R41. I'll probably sell the R41 which is a head only

I've shaved with the Knight Helmet a couple of times, and the Yaqi slant a few times as well. The 2011 R41 is a razor I shaved with for a long time. Personally, I think the 2013 design R41 is not as efficient as I care for a razor to be. I think the Ikon Tek is among the most aggressive DE's I have used. It's a nice razor, but for some reason the finish and I don't totally mesh. It is up there with my Stirling Stainless Hyper Aggressive base plate combo, but the Stirling is somehow quite a bit more user friendly for me.

Top Bottom