What's new

Anything close to Wholly Kaw monaco royale?

I was sent a small sample of wholly Kaw monaco royale today and man did I love the scent. I went to order a whole tub but it appears discontinued. Does anyone know of a scent that is similar to this one?

The website Try That Soap lists the following possibilities:
Barrister and Mann Fougiere Gothique
Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet
Ariana and Evans Barbiere Sophisticato

Monoco Royale was produced in the initial Wholly Kaw Donkey milk base. Donkey Base was excellent, but the later Bufala base with Water buffalo milk and the current Siero base are even better. Sri has not produced the Monoco Royale scent in the newer bases. The closest thing to a Fougere that WK is currently producing is Fougere Mania. Personally, I prefer thenew scent to Monaco Royale. It has scent notes of Lavender, Amber, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Tonka Bean, Musk, and Labdanum.

The website Try That Soap lists the following possibilities:
Barrister and Mann Fougiere Gothique
Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet
Ariana and Evans Barbiere Sophisticato

Monoco Royale was produced in the initial Wholly Kaw Donkey milk base. Donkey Base was excellent, but the later Bufala base with Water buffalo milk and the current Siero base are even better. Sri has not produced the Monoco Royale scent in the newer bases. The closest thing to a Fougere that WK is currently producing is Fougere Mania. Personally, I prefer thenew scent to Monaco Royale. It has scent notes of Lavender, Amber, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Tonka Bean, Musk, and Labdanum.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. It sounds like the "type" of scent I like is called fougere. Maybe before ordering a tub from bonanza I should get some other samples.

Fougeres are the classic scent for men. They were originated by the House of Houbigant in 1882. It stopped making the original scent, but in 2010 released a Fougere Royale versiion. Fougere is the French word for fern. Thus, these scents smell like fern, but there have been many interpretations. The three basic scent notes in all Fougeres are lavender, oakmoss, and coumarin. However, every perfumer has a variation on the basic Fougere by adding various other scent notes for complexity. In the case of Monaco Royale, the scent notes are:
Top notes: Lavender, Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain
Middle notes: Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean, Ambergris*
Base notes: Guaiacwood, Agarwood, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Labdanum and Musk

Thus, is is quite a complex Fougere. That is why nothing else quite matches the scent.

WK Monaco Royale is a bit of a "kitchen sink" type scent (lots of notes thrown together).

Other WK scents in the same ballpark might be Fougere Bouquet and Fougere Mania.

Wholly Kaw makes great soaps but has issues with its scents i.e. very hit or miss. Thus, IMHO, the Siero base is stellar but Siero based Fougere Mania soap merely "meh" because of its scent. It was my first Siero based soap and I was very disappointed by this scent though I loved the soap's performance. I then purchased Entropy Man and later Rebelle, both of which are in the Siero base. Rebelle has proven itself to be a favorite with Entropy Man a couple of notches down on the preference scale. This is, of course, subjective as are all opinions based on scent.

All that said, if you love Monaco Royale, I would suggest you follow the lead of the post above and order a tub from a vendor that still has it in stock.

Wholly Kaw makes great soaps but has issues with its scents i.e. very hit or miss. Thus, IMHO, the Siero base is stellar but Siero based Fougere Mania soap merely "meh" because of its scent. It was my first Siero based soap and I was very disappointed by this scent though I loved the soap's performance. I then purchased Entropy Man and later Rebelle, both of which are in the Siero base. Rebelle has proven itself to be a favorite with Entropy Man a couple of notches down on the preference scale. This is, of course, subjective as are all opinions based on scent.

All that said, if you love Monaco Royale, I would suggest you follow the lead of the post above and order a tub from a vendor that still has it in stock.

As you state, Sri's scents may be "hit or miss" depending upon your scent preferences. He makes quite a variety of scents. The one I could not tolerate was Spice Vitae; I gave that away at a shave meet because I did not want the smell in my house. I was not a fan of Fougere Parfaite, either, but I did keep it. I had a sample of Monaco Royale. It was OK, but I did not like it well enough to purchase a full tub. On the other hand, I love Fougere Mania and Entropy Man. I consider his King of Oud to be a world class scent.

Although I do feel confident recommending soap formulas as I can report specific performance criteria, I never feel confident recommending scents. That might be the most personal aspect of wet shaving.

I consider his King of Oud to be a world class scent.
This.

Even the earlier WK bases are excellent, thus if you like the scent you are golden because all of the bases are good. Sri has an interesting business model, wherein he does not appear to migrate older scents into the newer bases. He does, however, keep some of them available in the base in which the soap/scent was originally introduced e.g. King of Oud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom