What's new

What razor/blade did you use today

Wolfman WR2 1.65 SB, New Feather blade
Happy Friday
WR2 092421.JPG

How bad? 2 year stock is not much. With my last week acquisitions my count is 20300 with 200 more waiting for me in the post office. This is a serious hobbyists forum. :cool:
I know I have well over 2,000 and probably closing in on 2,500. One of the things is that a blade that is great in one razor you like isn't always good in a different razor you like also. Hence, I'm being practical and prepared. No disorder going on around here [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Over 3 days of growth so I guess its time to break out the Muhle R41 loaded with a fresh Nacet
You're the second person to post an R41 with a Nacet I've seen in two days. The first I saw yesterday, I forgot who right now, inspired me because I realized I've never used a Nacet in the R41. I loaded it last night and plan on using it early this coming week. Probably Monday. Thanks for your post.

Lord L5/bic chrome (1)

First use. It eventually got the job done, however with pressure and one extra pass. Very benign, no irritation whatsoever despite the multiple passes. If I keep it, it will be to use it occasionally as a technique refresher. I might donate it to my buddy who has been using mach3 for years and thinks I am weird to devote so much energy into this [emoji23]

I have to add that the head tolerances are perfect. The blade goes in absolutely straight and square and I tried it 10 times. My other Lord razor has the same with respect to blade alignment. Maaaaybeee some german/italian razor makers have a thing to learn from humble Lord?
I don't know the difference but I have a Lord L6. I like it a lot.

Sept 24th:
Timeless 95 OC SS / German Personna (5th)
Stirling Electric Sheep / 30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Halston Z14 Aftershave
Nivea Soothing Post-Shave Balm
Halston Z14 Cologne/EDT

Results: Super close BBS, with a couple weepers. I definitely do not like the German Personnas in the Timeless, while smooth, they're too edgy.

They say that the L6 is based on a Merkur design and the L5 is based on a Gillette design. I found the L5 to be good for someone who wants an extra mild razor, but I feel it is not for my beard. The L6 is more fitting for my situation. I might try shimming the L5 to see what comes out, it doesn't hurt to try.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

@exppii types faster than me

The L5 is an homage to the Gillette Tech - rigid blade without much exposure and the L6 is closer to the Edwin Jagger/Mühle “89” razor which uses a different method of holding the blade in place. The L6 is like an R41 that doesn’t lash out when people aren’t paying attention.

Or so my prejudices lead me to believe.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Blackland Blackbird SAFETY BAR stainless steel + BIC Chroma + Cella Red Soap

This is the same Blackbird I used not so long ago with the OPEN COMB plate. The experience totally changed, and I don't understand it. :eek2:

Read how much in despair I was after my first shave with the OC:
What razor/blade did you use today - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-razor-blade-did-you-use-today.583388/page-8069#post-11447575

I later figured out to ride the cap more and use a very light touch. The only other difference now except for the different blade was that I used a BIC this time and not a Feather.

So, what changed with the Safety Bar vs the Open Comb plate?

Smooth and mild, no unpleasant and pronounced blade feel, and it gave a damn if I rode the cap or not. It worked. But the Blackbird was no longer hyper efficient, just very efficient, but smooth and I did have CONSIDERABLY less blade feel, so much less that I could barely believe it.
Oh… I really love the Blackbird in either configuration. But with the Safety Bar it's truly a Blackbird compared to the Black Eagle Talon it is with the OC. Which doesn't quite compute for me. The BIC is quite like the Feather rather sharp, not mild.
Well, I don't get it, but I like it… this leaves me puzzled. Any ideas? Can the comb make such a difference for the Blackbird?! It felt like two different razors. :shocked:

Top Bottom