What's new

Favorite 50 dollar brush ? Line em up !

Around that price I would also say a Semogue Mistura. My SOC with the taj colour handle is a superb brush and very well made. I think it is arguably as good as any brush at any price. Very enjoyable, scrubby face feel and excellent performance. It might actually be my favourite brush of all. Maybe slightly over the $50 but the C5 version is $50-ish.

View attachment 1333187
the Mistura was mentioned many times already. How does it compare to a Semogue Silvertip badgers?
I was thinking about getting something in this range too, but I think the Mistura wouldn't be soft enough for me (as I'm solely using RR Plissoft atm).
These were also on my research list: Omega Super / Silvertip, Zenith Super/Manchurian? I'm looking for the least scrub/scritch and softest tips.

These might be a bit more than $50, but still close.

the Mistura was mentioned many times already. How does it compare to a Semogue Silvertip badgers?
I was thinking about getting something in this range too, but I think the Mistura wouldn't be soft enough for me (as I'm solely using RR Plissoft atm).
These were also on my research list: Omega Super / Silvertip, Zenith Super/Manchurian? I'm looking for the least scrub/scritch and softest tips.

These might be a bit more than $50, but still close.
If you face lather I'd suggest waiting until you find another $15 for a SOC 2 band badger in 24mm.
If you want to consider Super/Silvertip & Super/Manchurian, you should probably increase your price point. You also said the SOC (assuming this was a boar) was to big but no mention about scrub/scritch. I find the Mistura to be a great brush, but it is no Silvertip as far as soft tips. For me it is very similar to a Simpson Best with good backbone and is wonderful for both face and bowl lathering.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This may be of interest, it ticks a few boxes anyway. I was curious and a bit dubious considering this type of brush usually goes for considerably more. I’m really enjoying this brush, it blooms large and is pillowy soft, for face lathering. Great value for what you get. 23mm knot, 55mm loft, 45mm handle.

Attachments

• A0A1E9BC-4C2A-4CC0-AA8E-605205AA3AFB.jpeg
    A0A1E9BC-4C2A-4CC0-AA8E-605205AA3AFB.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 46
Omega Premium pure bristle boar 011842 Faux Jade from Connaught Shaving. The base diameter is 27mm, but feels more like a 24mm. Easy break in with good backbone. Great for both face and bowl lathering and only costs about $28 USD plus freight.
+1 for the Omega Jade

+1 for the Simpson Trafalgar T3

Have both. Use both.

As much as I'd like to ditch the Omega Jade (less practical, more work, etc, etc,...) I just can't! The Jade retired the Semogue 1800 for good.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I think somebody already mentioned, but if you post, or look on the bst, you may find a used brush, and would allow you to stretch your budget a touch further.

I would also recommend a whipped dog brush from Larry, I've purchased two brushes from him, and had him reknot one for me and it's been smooth sailing everytime. One of his "standard" handles with a 24mm silvertip knot put in would be... around $35usd? He only has a few handle shapes to choose from, but would get you your silvertip. He also has High mountain and a few other knot types to choose from, just google up "whipped dog brushes". The good thing is that he also sells just the knot itself, so you can buy the silvertip knot, and then shop somewhere else for the handle.

Happy hunting and let us know how you proceed.

@jeff2011,

As @Jayboz pointed out the knots on the C5's are 24x50 vs 24x53 for the SOC's. So the too big-ness of the SOC's you experienced should be well handled by the Torga's parameters.

Another interesting aspect of these Semogues, whether SOC, Torga, Galahad is the variety of knots you can acquire in the configuration you prefer. For instance the Torga C5 or SOC's are offered in Mistura of course as well as a fine Boar, 2-Band and 3-Band hair. FWIW I have the 3 Torga C3's @ 22x50 and each is a top notch performer. I guess the point is you might have reason to ponder a new addition in the future. ;)

Last edited:
I have no direct experience with them (and so can't personally recommend), but I've seen Maseto brushes mentioned occasionally with pretty favourable reviews. I think they come in at around $50-60.

Never tried an SOC Mistura either -- that's one I definitely see myself picking up at some point though.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh I forgot to add, another brush in your price range I hear really good things about (I did my research, and was going to buy one, but then we decided to move and it got put on the back burner) is the Stirling brush in Finest. They have various handle shapes and knots, so you can look, but that one is the one that ppl like. Prices range from $32usd to $52usd.

My go to in this price range is the Stirling fan knot. Great $32 finest badger brush....excellent latherer, soft, good backbone, dense but not so dense that it's hard to rinse. I really like it. The Mistura is another great brush...typical Semogue quality and excellent performance. For some good synthetics look at Stirling 24mm, PAA Amber Aerolite, Simpson Trafalgar T2, RazoRock Hive 24.

Currently the favorite of my synthetic brushes, decent backbone and bonus is it comes with a travel tube.

Excellent choice. The G5A would is the brush that killed my BAD... at least concerning synthetics

I'd love to hear your first impressions of both when the time comes.
Decision made. Ordered a 24 mm G5A from AP ShaveCo--reknotting the Ever Ready 100T. Couldn't resist their flat top boar, so I ordered that on sale for $4.00 and a handle too. Thanks for all of the help!

Top Bottom