What's new

Picked up an Ever-Ready 1914 any fans?

Hey guys just picked up a 1914 for 25 bucks with case at an antique store. Couldn't pass up that deal! Any fans of this razor? My favorite SE right now is my Ever Ready 1924 "Shovel Head". Does this shave more aggressively/efficiently than a 1924? And does it shave at a shallow angle like the 1924 or does it shave better with the cap close to the face? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20210923_165929.jpg
    20210923_165929.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 36
I have and use both razors.

My favorite is the 1924. It's very efficient and it's easier to clean.

The 1914 is more sophisticated in feel during the shave, but it's trickier to open.

Both are excellent shaving tools, however.

The 1924 performs better with the handle slightly down; the 1914 keep the handle slightly up, as with most SE razors, barely riding the cap.

I have and use both razors.

My favorite is the 1924. It's very efficient and it's easier to clean.

The 1914 is more sophisticated in feel during the shave, but it's trickier to open.

Both are excellent shaving tools, however.

The 1924 performs better with the handle slightly down; the 1914 keep the handle slightly up, as with most SE razors, barely riding the cap.
Yeah just shaved with the 1914 it was okay wasn't uncomfortable but not as good as my 1924. But I'll give it a few tries though. I really don't get the lack of love that the 1924 gets its by far my favorite gem style razor and none of my others razors come close to it.

A very nice razor at a good price…what’s not to like.
I do not have a 1924 so I can not offer my perspective on how they compare.
I really like SE razors and have a decent selection of 1912s, MMOCs, and a 1914.
My first shave with the 1914 was a little rough but, it was operator error. Once I dialed it in, it is a great shaver that I like to use.
Enjoy your razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
TOTAL fan. :)

I picked one up as part of a marked-down jumble lot when I started Gem SE a few years ago. Two Gem 1912s and this thing. All this time later I've long since piffed off the two 1912s and have discovered that the Ever-Ready is a lovely little razor. Just enough peppier than a Gem 1912 to make things interesting, not as aggressive as other ER razors. In fact, used it just the other day in the SEptember thread.

Best $2.50 I ever spent. :)

O.H.

TOTAL fan. :)

I picked one up as part of a marked-down jumble lot when I started Gem SE a few years ago. Two Gem 1912s and this thing. All this time later I've long since piffed off the two 1912s and have discovered that the Ever-Ready is a lovely little razor. Just enough peppier than a Gem 1912 to make things interesting, not as aggressive as other ER razors. In fact, used it just the other day in the SEptember thread.

Best $2.50 I ever spent. :)

O.H.
I'ma shave with it for a week and will report back

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Eh the 1914, One great razor, I have the 1914 and the 1924 Everready SE and both are interesting razors. The audio feedback and the shave quality of the 1914 is excellent(mid range). There where two versions of the blade stops on the 1914 also. I have the first generation of blades stops and they work OK. The 2nd Generation blade stops some fellows like a little more.
Looks like you got a great deal on the 1914 razor with case & all for $25.00, _bay want more plus shipping.
I did a shave off between the two razors a while back if interested or maybe you have read it already.
The 1914 (AKA Little lather catcher, LLC) & 1924 (AKA shovelhead) were very popular for that time period and still relatively easy to purchase, If I'm not mistaken they sold 100's of thousands of them over the decades and where enjoyed by those folks.

Last edited:
That's a Ever Ready1924 in gold/nickel
Oh I can't shave with that I tried several times I'm actually selling mine. The gem clogpruff I have 2 of different versions and I love them but the 1924 ever ready is horrible for me. I have come to believe it's the safety grill is too rough. It's not polished or rounded as the other gems I own. The worst part of it is I love how it looks that ornate handle is awesome.

Oh I can't shave with that I tried several times I'm actually selling mine. The gem clogpruff I have 2 of different versions and I love them but the 1924 ever ready is horrible for me. I have come to believe it's the safety grill is too rough. It's not polished or rounded as the other gems I own. The worst part of it is I love how it looks that ornate handle is awesome.
Yeah I mean I get it some things just don't work for others. I think there may be a discrepancy between models. Because I can tell you right now that the Gold version I have is less aggressive than the nickel. Might be that some versions where made super aggressive compared to others.

Yeah I mean I get it some things just don't work for others. I think there may be a discrepancy between models. Because I can tell you right now that the Gold version I have is less aggressive than the nickel. Might be that some versions where made super aggressive compared to others.
Yeah that might be it. I ran the razor across my face without a blade and the same with a clogpruff and I could tell that it was the grill its not even the blade.

Top Bottom