What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was in a big box store today. The shelves were loaded with .45, .40, 9mm, and .380 with no limit.. They had a shelf for .38/.357. It was bare.

I am a .357 fan. I couldnt afford that habit if I didn't reload.
I knew I should've been hoarding ammo for my revolvers when I had the chance, or setting up a reloading station. My own danged fault.

I've got ALMOST enuff anyway, but shooting .22's just ain't the same.

Oughta buy a fancy airsoft gun. My son had a bunch of biodegradable pellets. But he mostly used the AR looking full auto ones out in the woods with teams of his pals. So I can't steal anything from him, the brat!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Oh I don’t know Dave. The older I get the more I like .22s. Don’t know if it’s the forced fundamentals or more likely this rapidly degrading shoulder (last range trip I got the recoil pad in the wrong spot and I pulled the rifle up tight I felt something move! I may regret to coming hog hunt with the 6.5) but they are challenging little buggers! A second to learn and a lifetime to master!

FarmerTan

Oh I don’t know Dave. The older I get the more I like .22s. Don’t know if it’s the forced fundamentals or more likely this rapidly degrading shoulder (last range trip I got the recoil pad in the wrong spot and I pulled the rifle up tight I felt something move! I may regret to coming hog hunt with the 6.5) but they are challenging little buggers! A second to learn and a lifetime to master!
Well said. I've resigned myself to the fact that my wife and her semi-arthritic hands are not going to shoot anything bigger than a .22, and that I'm not 22 anymore, lol! I've been perfectly content shooting .22 caliber and not wondering why I'm not sore anywhere.

.22 firearms are fantastic. For years, I shot .22 silhouette matches at my club. We had a group of 20-30 involved with usually about half making it for a monthly match. Several of us would meet 2 or 3 times a week to practice. Silhouette shooting greatly improved my offhand shooting. Whereas many pistol shooters stop shooting at 25 yards/meters, that is closest distance in silhouette.

FarmerTan

.22 firearms are fantastic. For years, I shot .22 silhouette matches at my club. We had a group of 20-30 involved with usually about half making it for a monthly match. Several of us would meet 2 or 3 times a week to practice. Silhouette shooting greatly improved my offhand shooting. Whereas many pistol shooters stop shooting at 25 yards/meters, that is closest distance in silhouette.
Dude. I'd need practice for sure. I'm pretty sure I could hit the broad side of a barn, even a small barn, at 25 yards, maybe even hit it at the center of it's mass!

But you have given me a good idea for some paper target point and shoot drills at my house gun range...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So early this morning someone up there took a straight shot at my house; flash like a flashbulb went off in my hand and not even sure there was anything other than the crack.

House never lost power but generator came on and didn't shut down. Once there was a pause in the rain I went out and manually shut it down. Come daylight opened it up and cleared the error code and set it back to automatic. Generator immediately fired up again and didn't shut down so turned it off again.

Waiting on the Generac folk to come give it a physical.

Modem for internet fried but fortunately had another modem and a call to Spectrum got the new modem activated.

One computer dead, the sync module for the cameras powers on but not connecting to wifi, one ceiling LED panel dead, two outlets on one wall not working.

Electrician came out and checked house wiring and all looks good.

As long as any damage to the Generac is covered under warranty I should get out of this for less than my policy deductible.

But did finish rebuilding and upgrading a laptop that will get donated to the church. Turned out really nice; 8gb ram, 500bg drive, wifi and win10.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow. Years back, Lightening struck a tall tree right next to a house I sold a just a few years ago. Lightning jumped from the tree to the gutters on the roof and then traveled thru the wiring in the house some kind of way, I ain't smart enough to understand.

It fried out the table top burners on the kitchen stove, the dishwasher, a laptop, a couple of the electrical outlets in the kitchen and laundry room. I think that was about it. I learned to have surge protectors on everything now, but does that even really help with a direct strike like that?

I'm just glad nothing caught fire?

FarmerTan

Wow. Years back, Lightening struck a tall tree right next to a house I sold a just a few years ago. Lightning jumped from the tree to the gutters on the roof and then traveled thru the wiring in the house some kind of way, I ain't smart enough to understand.

It fried out the table top burners on the kitchen stove, the dishwasher, a laptop, a couple of the electrical outlets in the kitchen and laundry room. I think that was about it. I learned to have surge protectors on everything now, but does that even really help with a direct strike like that?

I'm just glad nothing caught fire?
Yeah, I'm thinking lightening like that would laugh at a surge protector!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
In fact several of the things fried were not just surge protected but also on an UPS (Uninterruptible power supply).

Electrician brough a replacement for the ceiling LED light so now my kitchen is back to really bright.

Damn, I thought I'd cleaned that.

FarmerTan

In fact several of the things fried were not just surge protected but also on an UPS (Uninterruptible power supply).

Electrician brough a replacement for the ceiling LED light so now my kitchen is back to really bright.

Damn, I thought I'd cleaned that.
I'm ONLY laughing at the light fixture idea! I had to change a bulb the other day. I told my wife, "it don't LOOK dirty when the light is off WOMAN!"

*Okay, I didn't say WOMAN..... I said "DEAR" .....But I was THINKING it...

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
So early this morning someone up there took a straight shot at my house; flash like a flashbulb went off in my hand and not even sure there was anything other than the crack.

House never lost power but generator came on and didn't shut down. Once there was a pause in the rain I went out and manually shut it down. Come daylight opened it up and cleared the error code and set it back to automatic. Generator immediately fired up again and didn't shut down so turned it off again.

Waiting on the Generac folk to come give it a physical.

Modem for internet fried but fortunately had another modem and a call to Spectrum got the new modem activated.

One computer dead, the sync module for the cameras powers on but not connecting to wifi, one ceiling LED panel dead, two outlets on one wall not working.

Electrician came out and checked house wiring and all looks good.

As long as any damage to the Generac is covered under warranty I should get out of this for less than my policy deductible.

But did finish rebuilding and upgrading a laptop that will get donated to the church. Turned out really nice; 8gb ram, 500bg drive, wifi and win10.
That was a heck of a storm!! It was right on top of us. The thunder woke me before 5. Sorry for your troubles but glad everything/everyone came out of it okay.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That was a heck of a storm!! It was right on top of us. The thunder woke me before 5. Sorry for your troubles but glad everything/everyone came out of it okay.

can we have some of that in North Texas? Ragweed is about to kill me.

Top Bottom