What's new

Marlin 39A

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Question for the Marlin experts. I cleaned my gun up really well after shooting it this past Friday. I noticed after I put it back together the firing pin moves freely in the bolt. When I work the action part of the firing pin moves toward the hammer, like it should but I can also push it forward with my finger. Is that normal? The gun is a 1951 so it is the old style.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was digging around in a Marlin forum and I think I answered my own question. The firing pin does move freely.

My father bought my first one new back in 1952, no idea what he paid. Over the last few years I acquired two of the Mounties, and again probably paid too much, but they are not making them any more. The first I searched the internet and found a shop way up in Mass that had one in pristine condition. I have a C&R license so he just said send a check along with license and apparently shipped it out the day he got the check & license copy, very trusting for nowdays. Second I lucked into in at a local shop. Only one problem with it, the bullseye was missing out of the stock, so no problem there.

I agree they are fun, all of mine have Lyman peep sights as an accomadation to my old eyes. My Mounties also have a Marlin tip off mount and a couple of old Weaver K 2.5 and K 3 scopes, one with post and crosshair the other with a German post reticule. They are in qd type mounts, and the Lyman peeps just fit underneath so I can have the best of both worlds, a peep and a qd scope.

My ten year old grandson who has been learning to shoot tried one and decided he likes the little Winchester 52b reproduction better. I have a single shot sled in it so he has to shoot much slower, but it does have a much better trigger and is more accurate, both of which makes it easier for him to hit.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I need to take a picture but the bottom of the pistol grip has a cut out in the shape of a peanut. There is a brass piece that you can remove under that. When you bought the gun you were supposed to remove the brass and send it to Marlin to be engraved. This was only done for a short period of time do to saving resources for the Korean War.

3E638138-AABF-43DE-A0C4-05D1D255D15B.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I need to take a picture but the bottom of the pistol grip has a cut out in the shape of a peanut. There is a brass piece that you can remove under that. When you bought the gun you were supposed to remove the brass and send it to Marlin to be engraved. This was only done for a short period of time do to saving resources for the Korean War.

View attachment 1335157

:biggrin1: You ought to get yours engraved; that's cool.

O the days of wood and steel,
when all the fire-arms were real ...

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
:biggrin1: You ought to get yours engraved; that's cool.

O the days of wood and steel,
when all the fire-arms were real ...

AA

I learned that off of the Marlin owners forum. I had never heard that before. If you google 39A Peanut you can read about it.

Congratulations! It seems like every time I circle to studying firearms and what's what in that world, The Marlin levers always pull my heartstrings - but I never prioritize a buy-in. Thus, in moments like these: I kick myself! Again! It's a long look back when you've got 50 years of ***-whooping. (think another word for mule, and a part of human anatomy)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a couple of other .22 rifles that are more accurate, but I will never give up those Marlins.

I saw you are a member of that same Marlin Forum. I had never heard of a peanut prior to joining and asking where to get an extractor. Is that something you were aware of?

I also had not heard of a peanut prior to joining one of the other forums, either the Marlin threads on Rimfire Central or Marlin Owners forum.

I used to have some links for parts stored on my computer but cannot find them so no idea at the moment other than GunParts Corp. There are a couple of others that do deal in more specialized areas such as Marlins, just have to do some searching. or check with someone on one of those other forums.

Top Bottom