What's new

What is your EDC knife?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks. I've still got the original leatherman that was my dads. My main leather man is their OHT One Handed Tool, with the flip out pliers. They make great useful devices.
Yep, I used that ruler thing on the grips more than a tape measure back in the day! For awhile I carried THREE different Leatherman pocket tools.

Yes, I am a card carrying red necked nerd!

Swiss Army Knife. My Christmas present from my wife 1973.

IMG_7751.JPG

I never leave home without pants, or a knife in my pants. I've got a box full of knives in the basement, from a late 50s boy scout type, to switchblades, fixed blades, folding sheaths, neck knives, or a small Case knife if I'm "dressed up" for a funeral or wedding.

My all-time favorite jean knife is a Spyderco Delica 4, but lately I've been carrying honey badger claws, smooth or serrated. Got a gift card recently for my birthday, so I ordered this one. Most likely illegal in my nanny State, but who cares.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Most likely illegal in my nanny State, but who cares.
I live in NJ. I assume that is where you are from based on your user name. I have had conversations with local police and state troopers about the legality of flipper knives. And I have read the knife law many times. It is all very ambiguous and vague. I believe they do that on purpose to allow the courts flexibility to interpret the laws as they see fit. Which really sucks. But the end result is that I am still quite unclear on whether a non-spring-assisted flipper knife is illegal in NJ. Most likely it’s legal. Spring assisted, no. But I am quite certain that unless you are using it in the commission of a crime, there will not be any repercussions from edc’ing a non-spring-assisted flipper in NJ. I think the knife in your link is not spring assisted. And I am not a lawyer, so do not consider this valid legal advice. But I’ve carried spring assist and even some autos in NJ for years.

I assume that is where you are from based on your user name. I have had conversations with local police and state troopers about the legality of flipper knives. And I have read the knife law many times. It is all very ambiguous and vague. I believe they do that on purpose to allow the courts flexibility to interpret the laws as they see fit. Which really sucks. But the end result is that I am still quite unclear on whether a non-spring-assisted flipper knife is illegal in NJ. Most likely it’s legal. Spring assisted, no. But I am quite certain that unless you are using it in the commission of a crime, there will not be any repercussions from edc’ing a non-spring-assisted flipper in NJ. I think the knife in your link is not spring assisted. And I am not a lawyer, so do not consider this valid legal advice. But I’ve carried spring assist and even some autos in NJ for years.

I live in NJ, but only because SWMBO won't move back to her home State of KY where I want to live. I agree NJ knife laws are ambiguous, probably on purpose and left to discretion of police and a judge. I'm sure that even my 50s Boy Scout knife, and my "fancy" knife, a Case SPARXX Mini Copperlock could be considered "illegal" if law enforcement wanted them to be. As as a law-abiding senior, I'm ok with that. I'm sure that my bone handle switchblade would get confiscated, so I don't carry it. I bet it would disappear before trial anyway. The flipper with a 4" blade I just ordered might also be a problem, but I'll take my chances. For just running to a store, my Spyderco and Honey Badger pocket knives are fine. If we go out for a long walk, my wife wears a neck knife, and I carry a Morakniv 4" fixed blade, loose in its sheath in my front pocket. More worried about dogs than people.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just got this one. Never really wanted a Spyderco before. After getting the Benchmade Bugout a couple of weeks ago, I was curious to compare it to a decent mid-tier Spyderco. The Delica 4 fit what I was looking for pretty well. Made in Japan, and the right size and config. Right away I could tell 2 things. First, the fit and finish are better on the Benchmade. The Spyderco scales are a bit rough around the edges, and the knife is harder to open. Second, the blade on the Spyderco is much sharper out of the box. The Spyderco is hair-shaving razor sharp. The Benchmade was close, but not quite. Other observations… The Benchmade cost quite a bit more. The Benchmade has a deeper clip for better concealed carry in the pocket. The Spyderco has a very attractive grind on the blade. It’s just a good looking knife. I will be taking it camping for the next 10 days and will look forward to using it.

477FCBC0-B8A0-4C4F-8A30-6BDD519E9393.jpeg

Top Bottom