What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
75.jpg

Razor: Razorock Eco
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210920_083804.jpg

Razor Yaqi Excalibur AC Head
Blade Feather Pro [11]
Still going well I wonder how many shaves I'll be able to get out of this blade
Should be able to get another shave in :c9:

IMG-4756 (2).JPG
That handle is AMAZING! I'm new to all this and, as an outsider/newcomer, that is a thing of beauty. Is that a Yaqi design or something you found elsewhere?

Razor: Gem Push-Button Gold
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
View attachment 1327528
I've never seen that GEM. It's superb! What does the push button do?

Again, this is coming from the new guy but wow! That is an amazing injector. I don't imagine they are too common. You must be proud of that one.

I personally prefer the Ted Pella Personna PTFE blades to the Chinese Chicks. The chicks are fine, but I find the Pella‘s to be far superior in sharpness. I have never had a problem with the Personna injector.
I believe the blades that come with the Parker injectors are Personna and if so, they are perfectly fine. I have both kinds and they both seem to work for me. Granted, I am not a seasoned SE shaver and am basing this on my limited use of them. And of course we can't forget the ever-present YMMV factor.

View attachment 1329902
Razor: Schick L1 Green Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
There is something so delightfully 70s about that particular shade of green. I absolutely love that razor! I hope I find one someday.

proxy.php

Le Blanc Shea Soap Preshave
Brass General / Schick Proline(14)
SV Desert Vetiver Soap
Creed Original Vetiver
Oh my. I wasn't aware there was a brass General. I have a thing for brass razors. On the list is goes...

Schick G1
Ted Pella PTFE (3)
Fast and efficient. Minimal cleanup. BBS
This is the 3rd shave with this TP blade. It is very smooth, and seems to be getting sharper (perhaps the coating is wearing off?). My concerns from other reviews are so far not appearing.
I shaved a few days in a row with my DE and a Feather blade (Baili 3 piece).
The shave was surprising smooth and fast, but not quite as close as my SEs.
I also noticed the shave did not last as long. It is similar as to when I shave with an electric. I think the exposed edges of the new whisker is “rougher” or at least cut at a steeper angle than as with an injector or GEM. So the growth seems to be “fuzzier” with a DE, even a very sharp DE like a Feather, than with a nice flat angle of attack SE.
Anyone else experienced this?
View attachment 1331535
That's a very interesting observation. I haven't noticed this myself however I wasn't paying close enough attention either. It's a distinct possibility that the stiffer blade somehow produces a more "durable" shave somehow. I think it might be worth starting a new topic to see if others have noticed it. I'm guessing not a lot of people are going to see it in this thread.

And finally, my SOTD. I had an EXCELLENT SOTD today with my Parker Adjustable Injector.

SOTD_20210922_Parker_Adj_Inj_Cella_PAA_AR.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm water and soap wash
Soap: Cella
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Parker Adjustable Injector V2 (3/3/1)
Blade: Parker (3)
Post-shave: Omega alum stick and Nivea sensitive aftershave balm

I really took my time today, making sure to use only as much pressure as was needed to get good contact between the razor head and my skin through the lush Cella lather. Honestly, that stuff is pretty impressive how creamy it can get. I had a lovely three-pass shave with a bit of buffing over a trouble spot on my jawline. This is the first shave with an injector that I feel has gone really well. I'm happy with the outcome, no irritation or nicks, and I really just enjoyed myself. I still can't say it's as good a shave as I've had with some of my DEs but, to be fair, I've had way more DE than SE shaves.

Top Bottom