What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Amazing looking super tall brush, David.

The Floid got me to looking around. Apparently it's available stateside. Marco says it smells just like the original. (Not that I've smelled the original.).

View attachment 1327030
Apparently, there is an available splash which smells just like Floid Blue.

(Not that I've smelled the original.)

It is currently available on Amazon.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Never smelled the originals, but I have both of these Aftershaves and really like both. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, David.

What I'm interested in isn't the handle swap exactly.

What I'm interested in is this:
  • How does the SS Blackbird head compare with the Ti Blackbird head. (When both head are used on the same Ti handle.)
It's a head to head comparison controlling for the handle.

In my experience with it the SS Blackbird head improves dramatically when used with the RR Ti Halo handle, but how does it compare to the Ti Blackbird head on the same Ti Halo handle.

Much the same experiment could be done by using both razor heads with the same Blackbird Ti handle.

I do not have a Ti Blackbird. Lots of fellows say its a better razor than the SS Blackbird. I'm thinking by reducing the weight of overall SS razor (by substituting a lighter Ti handle) a SS Blackbird head might approximate the "better" performance of the Ti Blackbird.

Make sense?

Thanks for doing this for me and for science, David.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. For the record, I find the stock Blackbird handle beautiful, but too skinny.

Got it. :)

Using the Ti Halo handle on the SS Blackbird head: The "feel" was a bit different. Adapted to that pretty fast. I did not notice a big positive jump in performance using the Ti Halo handle. Still got a great shave. Maybe if I use the OC plate and a Feather blade? Has me curious now.

The Ti Blackbird/RR Ti Halo is on tap for today.

I may just circle back around, though, and try the SS Blackbird head with the Ti Blackbird handle.

Lots of BOSC SCIENCE in the Den. ;) :letterk1: :cool:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You two guys, among others, but first and foremost, inspired me to buy a Blackbird SS. :001_smile
I hope delivery/customs work out nicely.

Titanium and Stainless Steel, maybe even depending on the finish (polished/machined) have different friction factors, besides the weight difference. While it doesn't apply to the Blackbird, scalloped caps also contribute to smoother gliding, IMO.

As potential, fitting alternative handles for the Blackbird I can imagine:
Alpha Shaving Viper/Executive Shaving Elegant handle
Timeless TRH2 (perhaps too long and heavy) or Ti Crown handle
a theoretical octagonal 88mm length handle of 88g weight I haven't found yet. To keep the radar signature small.

In general I rather believe in heavy head, balanced/lighter handle. Usually I have heavy and large handles to fit the finish/material of the razor and my hand size though. As long as I find something knurly on the handle I am usually happy.

Regarding friction factor, my Rockwell 6S was a step back from the 6C in this regard. I still haven't tried polishing it myself. I found it interesting how different they felt with the same plate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 255 for 255 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
BOSC SCIENCE :letterk1:
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20210912_112802~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense EdT

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird is my current #1 DE Big Dog. To continue our BOSC SCIENCE comparison of handles from yesterday, today I am using the RazoRock Ti Halo handle with the Ti Blackbird SB. Loaded the same Perma-Sharp blade from yesterday (shave #2) and proceeded to shave. As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed my Ti Blackbird shave. I'm getting top tier, great shaves every time I use it. Now the question: Did the Ti Halo improve things over the stock Blackland Ti handle? Not really - but I have no issues with the stock Blackland handles. The Ti Halo didn't degrade the shave, just felt different in my hand. If you don't care for the Blackland handles, the Ti Halo could be the ticket. Now for the big question: Did the Ti Halo bring the Stainless Blackbird head up to the Ti Blackbird head. Both the Stainless and Ti Blackbirds are top tier razors. We are absolutely talking personal preference here. In my opinion, using the same Ti Halo handle and same Perma-Sharp blade, the Ti Blackbird is still my current #1 DE Big Dog. The Ti shave is effortless. The Stainless is no slouch and so, because we are deep into BOSC SCIENCE at this point, I want to completely optimize the Stainless head by using the OC plate. I will also use the Blackland Ti handle. Let's see how close I can get the Stainless to the Ti. ;) :thumbup:
20210912_112849~2.jpg

The Keyhole is another wonderful Rudy Vey handle (one of my favorite made by Rudy brushes) and is also paired with the great Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip. Outstanding brush! :thumbup:

WSP Formula T Tobacco runs with the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel! :thumbup:
20210912_112949~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, I decided to go with the new Floïd The Genuine again today. Clean, not overpowering and feels great. Really like it! On the way to Sunday Church and Brunch, I added the great L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense EdT. :thumbup:
1aaf462abfbebf623664cafe368ae141.jpg
Superb shave! :cool:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You two guys, among others, but first and foremost, inspired me to buy a Blackbird SS. :001_smile

Titanium and Stainless Steel, maybe even depending on the finish (polished/machined) have different friction factors, besides the weight difference. While it doesn't apply to the Blackbird, scalloped caps also contribute to smoother gliding, IMO.

a theoretical octagonal 88mm length handle of 88g weight I haven't found yet. To keep the radar signature small.

In general I rather believe in heavy head, balanced/lighter handle. Usually I have heavy and large handles to fit the finish/material of the razor and my hand size though. As long as I find something knurly on the handle I am usually happy.

Regarding friction factor, my Rockwell 6S was a step back from the 6C in this regard. I still haven't tried polishing it myself. I found it interesting how different they felt with the same plate.

Only handles with a neck diameter of 8 mm will fit up inside the hole in the bottom of the Blackbird baseplate. Handless which don't do that won't work.

As far as I can tell these handles work. (Meaning I've used them and they work, they go into the baseplate properly and secure the parts of the head and the blade just like the Blackbird stock handle.):
  1. The RR Ti Halo handle. (I think I have all the other RR handles; none of them work.)
  2. The WSC/Charcoal Goods handle I own. (I think all the other WCS/CG handles work, too, and that the actual Charcoal Goods handles work, but I don't have any of them and can't promise they work.)

Custom handles can be ordered from Tibam with an 8 mm neck. I have one on order.

There may be others but I don't know of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

As @Chan Eil Whiskers states, the handle must have an 8mm neck to fit the Blackbird head (Ti, Stainless or Brass).

For Monday's shave, I'll be using the Stainless Blackbird head (OC plate) with the Ti Blackbird handle.

Should be interesting. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 256 for 256 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
BOSC SCIENCE
MdC Monday
20210913_134742~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Stainless Blackbird OC (Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (3)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: G eàu Black EdT Spray

Continuing from yesterday's BOSC SCIENCE shave, I paired the Ti Blackbird handle with the Stainless OC head. I do like this combination! Great results. My face is nice and smooth. I would rate this combination (in comparison to the full Ti Blackbird) as slightly more efficient, slightly less smooth and (overall) very slightly less effective than the full Ti Blackbird. For tomorrow, we will delve even deeper into BOSC SCIENCE and pair up the Stainless OC plate with the Ti cap and handle. ;) :thumbup:
20210913_134835~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot) brush performs very well. The combination of the brush, the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl and the awesome Martin de Candre Fougère soap produced plentiful, protective, cushioning and slick lather! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre soaps are some of the best soaps in my Den. Easy to lather. Exceptional performance. Great face feel. As good as shaving soap gets! :thumbup:
20210913_134936~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, the always refreshing Bootlegger's Green Freeze. Today's fragrance is the Belcam G eàu Black EdT Spray, a version of Acqua Di Gio Profumo. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 257 for 257 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
BOSC SCIENCE
shave 20210914_135801_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Mixed Metal Blackbird OC (Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird Handle & Cap + Stainless OC Plate)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Continuing from yesterday's BOSC SCIENCE shave, I paired the Ti Blackbird handle and cap with the Stainless OC plate. Pretty close to yesterday's shave. Maybe a touch smoother than the Stainless Cap. Efficiency and Effectiveness are comparable. Shaving with the all Ti Blackbird on Wednesday to wrap this up. ;) :thumbup:
hardware 20210914_135836_2.jpg

The Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan is a very cool brush. The TurnNShave handle is very natural and comfortable in hand. The TNS 25mm Quartermoon knot is one of my preferred synthetic knots. This brush does a lot of things right. :thumbup:

Vito's Extra Super Coco is one of my favorite soaps. I could use it every day and be happy. Plus, it is an excellent value! :thumbup:
software 20210914_135943_2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, the wonderful Bootlegger's Bay Rum. Today's fragrance is the great Cuba Orange EdT Spray. My face is happy! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 258 for 258 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
shave 20210915_114120.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB :001_wub:
Blade: Perma-Sharp (5)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

Getting close to wrapping up our BOSC SCIENCE shave series with the Blackbird Ti Blackbird SB. Using the Ti handle on the Stainless Blackbird Head (SB and OC) worked really well, but the full Ti Blackbird remains my favorite Blackbird. My current #1 DE razor. Checks the boxes that are important to me. Effortless excellence. The Ti Blackbird could easily be my current DE Daily Driver! :thumbup:
hardware 20210915_114209.jpg

First shave with the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic. The Hive is a really cool brush and silly good for the price. Natural and comfortable in hand. The Mokasoft HD knot loads easily, readily builds the lather and feels great on my face (Caveat: Note for those of you who like a knot like the Shavemac D01, the Mokasoft HD Synthetic will not have the same amount of backbone or scrub you expect from your brush). For me, as I like Badger, Boar and Synthetic brushes from all over the backbone and scrub spectrum, this brush does a lot of things right at a very reasonable price! :thumbup:

Vito's Extra Super Coco is one of my favorite soaps. I could use it every day and be happy. Plus, it is an excellent value! :thumbup:
software 20210915_114334.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, the refreshing and satisfying Epsilon Mediterranean Blue. Today's fragrance is the very nice Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray. My face is happy! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 259 for 259 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
20210916_155001~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Brass Blackbird SB
Blade: Perma-Sharp (6 and retired)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: Classic Match EdT Spray (Belcam version of Jimmy Choo Man)

Going with the Brass Blackbird SB to wrap up our BOSC SCIENCE shave series. The Brass 'Bird is kind of the "sleeper" of the Blackbird family - Brass, Stainless and Titanium. Brass is one of my favorite materials, very close to Titanium. And sure enough, to my face, the Brass is the closest 'Bird to the Titanium. Blackbird efficient, very smooth and very effective. I really like the Brass Blackbird and it delivers top tier, superb shaves. :thumbup:
20210916_155034~2.jpg

Second shave with the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic and my enthusiasm for this great little brush has not waned. Great brush, especially for the modest cost. :thumbup:

20210916_155125~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, the refreshing and satisfying Bootlegger's Green Freeze. Today's fragrance is the very nice Classic Match EdT Spray! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 260 for 260 = 100%
Clubman Friday
Fatip Friday
Slantember 2021
shave 20210917_123936.jpg

Razor: Fatip Mixed Metal Lo Storto Originale
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega EVO
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The Mixed Metal Fatip Lo Storto Originale looks cool and shaves great! The FOCS + Bolzano blade is a consistently wonderful combination. Efficient, smooth and effective - the FOCS rocks! 🦊 :punk: :thumbup:
hardware 20210917_124024.jpg

The Omega EVO is an outstanding synthetic brush that I reach for almost every Friday. Whether bowl or face lathering, the EVO performs wonderfully. :thumbup:

software 20210917_124116.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. To finish my Friday shave, Pinaud Clubman is a classic Aftershave and Cuba Orange EdT Spray is a wonderful Fragrance. My face is happy. :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 261 for 261 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Single Edge SEptember 2021
shave 20210918_212045.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. Been reading about pairing the Vector head with the Timeless TRH8 Ti Handle so, of course, I tried it out for myself. Most interesting! This pairing feels pretty darn good. Will try more shaves with it. Overall, with either handle, the Vector is thoroughly impressive and my favorite SE razor! :thumbup:
hardware 20210918_212123.jpg

The Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle + TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan is one of my favorite synthetic brushes. Really like how the TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan loads and lathers. Feels good on my face. :thumbup:

software 20210918_212211.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. For my aftershave, Old Spice Classic is a wonderful choice. :thumbup:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2021: 262 for 262 = 100%
B3 Brotherhood
Single Edge SEptember 2021
Single Edge Sunday
20210919_114423~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

My high opinion regarding the Blackland Razors Vector SB (and OC) is well documented. Paired the Vector head with the Timeless TRH8 Ti Handle again today. As with yesterday's shave, this pairing works together wonderfully. The Vector is thoroughly impressive - using either handle. My favorite SE razor! :thumbup:
20210919_114254~2.jpg

Very nice outing with the Simpson Trafalgar T3. Soft on my face. Decent backbone. Quite dense. Nice brush! :thumbup:

20210919_114207~2.jpg

For post-shave, the combination of Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid is my everyday standby. Wearing Bootlegger's El Dorado for my Sunday aftershave and Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray as my Sunday fragrance. Great combination! :thumbup:

Eben Stone

Staff member
The Henson exhibits the same type of drag on my face that the similarly designed WCS Winning Razor did.

I recently got a Henson AL13 Medium and noticed the drag on my face, too.

I've tried steep and neutral angles. Tried using the angle the cap dictates. Still feel the drag.

Drag? Can you please explain. I'm genuinely curious but have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday night musings.....

The more I shave with my Vector, the more I want to use it. The Vector could easily be my only razor.

I almost feel as strongly about the Ti Blackbird and Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid.

So, after Monday's shave with the Vector, I think I'll take a meandering journey with some of my other Big Dogs and Runs With The Big Dogs razors.

Darn Shaving ADD. ;) :cool:

The one thing I will make sure to do is shave every day in 2021. With 262 days straight (100%), I'm in it for the long haul. :thumbup:

More to follow..... :)

Drag? Can you please explain. I'm genuinely curious but have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks.

I guess I would describe it as feeling resistance when using the razor. In the case go the Henson, I'm guessing that it's due to the fair amount of surface area that is against your skin. It's the only Aluminum razor that I've ever used, so not sure whether or not the material plays into it, too. Whatever the case, it creates enough drag/resistance that I don't really like using it very much.

My Timeless SB can exhibit this as well, but to a lesser extent and I usually only feel it if I try to go over that same area more than once. It removes a lot of lather with each pass and has quite a but of surface area, so not a good combination if you try to go over an area multiple times without re-lathering. With the Henson, I feel some drag even on the first pass.

I do feel the Henson if a good razor and it's obvious just from seeing it in person that it's well engineered, but for me, I just don't like it near as much as my other razors (i.e. Feather, Wolfman, & Timeless) and it mostly comes down to that drag sensation.

Top Bottom