What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Zebrano
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (2)
Brush: Omega 10065
Cream: LEA Menthol
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra (Splash)
037_20.jpg

It was Omega 10065 day! This may be my favorite boar. It is soft with backbone, and it's a fine precision instrument for smearing lather. I like it, and I have the one with a pretty red handle. I think I have the navy blue one as well lying about somewhere. It doesn't get as much use. The red handle makes a huge difference.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (3)
Brush: Semogue 610
042_20.jpg

I had a joy day, or bliss day, shaving today. Everything went right. It was just a whole lot of fun. The results were fantastic. The Semogue 610 is a small brush like my Omega 10065. The Semogue 610 has way more splay than the Omega 10065. This means its not as precision of an instrument as the 10065. It makes up for it in softness. I have yet to have an Omega brush turn out to be as soft as a well broken in Semogue boar. Maybe I haven't broken in my Omegas well enough yet, as I got side tracked into synth land? If I remember right, my Omega 81052 is the closest to Semogue in that regard. Maybe because it's banded? I heard they treat the hairs when they dye the band, and that this adds to them breaking in quicker? My Semogue 610 isn't banded but it broke in quicker than an Omega. We'll see if my memory serves me correctly about the Omega 81052 softness tomorrow.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (4)
Brush: Omega 81052
044_1_20.jpg

My shave was a repeat of yesterdays shave as far as fun, enjoyment, and the result. The Omega 81052 is nowhere near as soft as any of my Semogue brushes. It wasn't even close. It is softer than all my other Omega boars. It still retains the precision of my 10065. They are pretty equal. The 81052 is softer. Perhaps, Omegas take a long time to break in. It may take awhile. It might take a lifetime, as I use my synthetic brushes way more.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (5)
Brush: Semogue 830
048_20.jpg

This was the last shave of the week. :crying: I'm thinking of taking up a world wide petition to change the seven day week into a nine day week. That way I can shave seven days a week with two days off. Why not just shave seven days and take a couple of days off, you might ask? Pshah, when have I ever let logic stand in the way of what I think I'm up to? “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” -Mark Twain...and I'm sticking to it.

Next week I think I'll mostly use the same line. I'll use my Fatip Zebrano Gentile with a Gillette 7o'Clock Green, Proraso Green Pre-Shave, Lea Menthol (I want to use La Toja, but I can't switch up now. There has to be order.), my Omega S-Brushes, and InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid/Figaro Monsieur Ambra (Splash).

Happy Shaves!

I'm thinking of taking up a world wide petition to change the seven day week into a nine day week. That way I can shave seven days a week with two days off. Why not just shave seven days and take a couple of days off, you might ask? Pshah, when have I ever let logic stand in the way of what I think I'm up to? “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.” -Mark Twain...and I'm sticking to it.

If this means that I have to work 7 days per week with 2 days off, I'm afraid this is a no go for me! :thumbdown

If, however you imply working for 5 and having a 4-day-weekend, then I'm all for it!!! Heck, I could even brag for shaving 9 days per week :thumbup:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If this means that I have to work 7 days per week with 2 days off, I'm afraid this is a no go for me! :thumbdown

If, however you imply working for 5 and having a 4-day-weekend, then I'm all for it!!! Heck, I could even brag for shaving 9 days per week :thumbup:
I hadn't really thought of the details or ramifications. Perhaps, we could all sign it and have "faith" that "they'll" work that part out? :001_unsur I just know I want seven :shaving: 's a week. :w00t: I'm not that much into thinking too far ahead. What could possibly go wrong? :cuppa: :w00t:

I hadn't really thought of the details or ramifications. Perhaps, we could all sign it and have "faith" that "they'll" work that part out? :001_unsur I just know I want seven :shaving: 's a week. :w00t: I'm not that much into thinking too far ahead. What could possibly go wrong? :cuppa: :w00t:

I have faith they will... :laugh:

In the meantime, shaving twice a day for a couple of days could still get you there. :idea:

See, I'm all about the details and ramifications... :biggrin1:

Happy shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rave, have you tried any Zenith boars? I just don't remember.

Zeniths.All.Boars.640.9-27-18.JPG

This is a grouping of most of my bleached Zenith boars, but I probably like the unbleached Zenith boars better. The unbleached are harder to find but available at Your Shaving.

This unbleached boar (brand new in photo) is "too tall" for a bleached boar, but not for an unbleached boar.

Very inexpensive.

I was surprised at how much I liked the handle, and, indeed, the brush.

Breaking in is required.​
Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.BrandNew.640.3-19-20.JPG

Not that Portuguese brushes aren't great, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Rave, have you tried any Zenith boars? I just don't remember.

View attachment 1330140

This is a grouping of most of my bleached Zenith boars, but I probably like the unbleached Zenith boars better. The unbleached are harder to find but available at Your Shaving.

This unbleached boar (brand new in photo) is "too tall" for a bleached boar, but not for an unbleached boar.

Very inexpensive.

I was surprised at how much I liked the handle, and, indeed, the brush.

Breaking in is required.​
View attachment 1330144

Not that Portuguese brushes aren't great, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Those are some nice brushes. It inspired me to get the Simpson Trafalgar T1 synthetic. It's small and synthetic, and Maggards has it for $19.50 usd. I pushed the buy button. All you did was enable by saying look at the pretty brushes. :hand:
Simpson-Trafalar-T1-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-23mm_1000x1000_1_38.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Fatip Zebrano Gentile
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (1)
Brush: Omega S10065
039_23.jpg

I had a great start to the week. My Gentile was gentle. I think the Fatip Zebrano Gentile is my favorite. The Gillette 7o'Clock Green is fast becoming one of my top tier blades. I really like Stainless blades. They have lots of blade feel with lasting sharpness. I put these blades right up their with Silver Star. I like stainless blades when I'm using them and Platinum when using them. I think platinum blades turn into stainless blades when the coating wears off anyways. I'm easy. I pretty much like everything I'm currently using. I've forgotten how little Omega S-Brushes splay. That's okay. I think splay is over rated unless I'm using a brush that splays. The Omega S10065 is even more precise than the Omega 10065. I could paint a picture using the S10065. That's how precise it is. It does tend to eat product with it's fairly high loft. Again, it's been great start to the week. Happy Shaves!

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (2)
Brush: Omega S10077
049_23.jpg

The shaves are going good. I can't complain about that. I will complain about the Omega S-Brushes being lather hogs. No matter what cream I use, I use two almond shaped dollops. It doesn't matter what brush I use. That's a lot. I hear most people say they use one dollop. Two is more than enough for even my 30mm PantaRei Silvertip. The Omega S-Brushes eats the product right up, and it won't release very much after the first pass. This is fine with soaps because I can always go back to the tub and get more product. Creams go quicker as it is. I'm not about to go back to the tube for another dollop of product. There, that's my gripe for the day. The S-Brushes work for me with soaps, creams not so much.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Green (3)
Brush: Omega S10081
050_23.jpg

Problem solved with my Omega S-Brushes vs. Creams. I load the brush with two dollops of cream and face lather as usual. For the second pass, I have a tub of Proraso White croap on stand by to load more. It may not be Lea, but it doesn't take away from the Lea scent. I then have enough for three passes. I can see why Cal turns all of his creams into croaps. It's a brilliant idea, and probably why I won't do it. My hats off to him. :adoration:

I can see why Cal turns all of his creams into croaps. It's a brilliant idea, and probably why I won't do it. My hats off to him. :adoration:
Fairly recently... I've stopped croapifying my "in the tube" creams. I simply squeeze a 25mm (1") length of cream onto my damp brush and start face lathering (adding water as required). (Proraso recommends 20mm... but we all know "moar" is better. :wink2:)

That gives me plenty of lather for the whole shave (and a good bit left over). It works well with Proraso, Lea Mentholated, La Toja Classic, and no doubt plenty others (for me anyway). :biggrin:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Fairly recently... I've stopped croapifying my "in the tube" creams. I simply squeeze a 25mm (1") length of cream onto my damp brush and start face lathering (adding water as required). (Proraso recommends 20mm... but we all know "moar" is better. :wink2:)

That gives me plenty of lather for the whole shave (and a good bit left over). It works well with Proraso, Lea Mentholated, La Toja Classic, and no doubt plenty others (for me anyway). :biggrin:
I'll have to try an inch of product someday in anything other than an S-Brush. :wink2:

Top Bottom