What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
One quick ATG buffing pass and you'll look like the dude in the picture. Maybe even without a nose!

That’s two reasons to use the Berry Fields of Blech! The protection afforded by the slickness (fats and clay) and taking off the nose means the scent will no longer be objectionable

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That’s two reasons to use the Berry Fields of Blech! The protection afforded by the slickness (fats and clay) and taking off the nose means the scent will no longer be objectionable

The scent wasn't the problem with the Berry Fields soap. It caused skin irritation, which took several days to recover from. The horrible scent was on the (supposedly) peach and grapefruit soap in the glass jar that Cal sent over. That was the one that smelled of baby sick.

The scent wasn't the problem with the Berry Fields soap. It caused skin irritation, which took several days to recover from. The horrible scent was on the (supposedly) peach and grapefruit soap in the glass jar that Cal sent over. That was the one that smelled of baby sick.
I used to refer to some soaps' scents as "sickly," but I much prefer your "baby sick" label, Al. :biggrin:

Here's a list of soaps which contain sufficient "baby sick" aroma to have been removed from my collection:
  • OAM (Officina Artigiana Milano) Stay Traditional
  • Bignoli Agrumi del Mediterraneo (Citrus Fruits of the Mediterranean)
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • Williams Mug Shaving Soap
  • Haslinger Shafmilch
Bear in mind that we all smell things differently (thankfully). :wink2:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The scent wasn't the problem with the Berry Fields soap. It caused skin irritation, which took several days to recover from.

Oh right, yes! So you could use your Edwin Jagger aloe vera suds for cleaning off the scalp and chin and avoid irritation altogether! A coup!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh right, yes! So you could use your Edwin Jagger aloe vera suds for cleaning off the scalp and chin and avoid irritation altogether! A coup!

The goatee and head hair are definitely staying, at least until I know how long they will both grow.

I used to refer to some soaps' scents as "sickly," but I much prefer your "baby sick" label, Al. :biggrin:

Here's a list of soaps which contain sufficient "baby sick" aroma to have been removed from my collection:
  • OAM (Officina Artigiana Milano) Stay Traditional
  • Bignoli Agrumi del Mediterraneo (Citrus Fruits of the Mediterranean)
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat
  • Williams Mug Shaving Soap
  • Haslinger Shafmilch
Bear in mind that we all smell things differently (thankfully). :wink2:

I quite like Mitchell's and Schafmilch. It's any peach scent that gives me that baby sick vibe (regurgitated milk and Calpol), although I don't think the grapefruit helps much :biggrin1:

The second one on your list may well be another I wouldn't like though. Too often, stuff like that smells of commercial cleaning fluids, rather than fruit. A little like the Superdrug Sierra Breeze, or whatever it was called. Awful stuff, yet I like their Forest Fresh version.

Reactions: Cal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Presumably until you habitually undereat. So do you have access to shears or clippers?

I have an electric beard trimmer and hair cutting scissors. I used to keep the beard a lot shorter, but am trying to discover when it reaches its maximum length, or my maximum tolerance. Same with the head hair, which seems to have slowed, but I think is still growing.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have an electric beard trimmer and hair cutting scissors. I used to keep the beard a lot shorter, but am trying to discover when it reaches its maximum length, or my maximum tolerance. Same with the head hair, which seems to have slowed, but I think is still growing.

You're really Gregg Allman arent you "Al" lol

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Today was the first of the beard taming shaves. I have to be absolutely certain I have all my faculties when attempting anything like this with an open comb. Lather was courtesy of the Simpson T2 and Phoenix and Beau's Achilles Last Stand. Two passes with the Merkur open comb head on the Ikon Bulldog handle, and then a final clean up with the Jagger.

The moustache area remained the same, but I shaved between a third and a half of a razors width, off either side of the goatee. I'll give it a few shaves rest, shaving only stubbled areas, to let the beard settle again. Experience has taught me that after any kind of beard trim, everything will look quite different after two to three days, once the beard has settled.

What was very surprising, was the two month old Astra in the Jagger, actually felt sharper than the brand new SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium in the Merkur. :eek6: How much of that isblade differences, and how much is razor differences, I couldn't be sure.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For the last couple of shaves, I've gone back to the London Oatcake Mahogany, but had to amend the method.

It's taken on moisture to the extent that it lo longer loads like a soap. It's more like a cream, but far stickier - almost as if I'm loading the brush with caramel. As such, the lather bowl is back on duty, to help that stodgy mess start to become lather, and get the brush evenly coated before I take it to the face. A damn fine job it's doing too. Still just the one brush (Simpson T2) in the bathroom, I've lost track of how long that is now, but I do know that ten weeks on, that Astra Platinum blade, is STILL giving great shaves!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Approaching 11 weeks now, and the Astra Platinum is still giving flawless shaves. Today's was with the Jagger Aloe Vera mug soap, and yes, everything is still being used with just the Simpson T2.

This is exactly the sort of blade longevity that I used to get in days of old. A pack of five blades used to easily last me a year, which is why I never stocked up on them, and why I came unstuck in the big blade drought between the English production and German production. I'm not sure why I haven't had another blade like this since signing up here in 2017.

I had thought that maybe my beard had toughened up in the full beard era, but here's a blade doing exactly what the English Wilkies did in the 1990's. It's nice to get back to such a long lasting blade, but it's also perplexing as to why I've only been getting 10-14 shaves for the last four years.

Top Bottom