What's new

Question about blade markings: numbers and letters

I loaded a Treet blade into my Parker Variant for tomorrow morning’s shave. I notice that one side of the blade is “A” and the other side is “B.” On another blade the other day, I also noticed 1 and 2 on the corners on one side and 3 and 4 on the corners of the other side. Are these markings meant to indicate how you’re supposed to place the blade in the razor? Thanks!

I loaded a Treet blade into my Parker Variant for tomorrow morning’s shave. I notice that one side of the blade is “A” and the other side is “B.” On another blade the other day, I also noticed 1 and 2 on the corners on one side and 3 and 4 on the corners of the other side. Are these markings meant to indicate how you’re supposed to place the blade in the razor? Thanks!

Your DE razor can take these blades in any orientation, they are symmetrical.

I'll be honest, I've never figured out what the letter/number system on blades is actually useful for. Maybe there are certain non-standard razors where this is relevant, or possibly it has some kind of historical importance.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think it's supposed to aid in knowing which edge you last used. When they first started advertising DE blades I think they promoted using one edge until it was dull, then using the other side of the same edge, then using the next edge, etc.

Or I am way off base? Maybe some other gent will jump in?

I think it's supposed to aid in knowing which edge you last used. When they first started advertising DE blades I think they promoted using one edge until it was dull, then using the other side of the same edge, then using the next edge, etc.

Or I am way off base? Maybe some other gent will jump in?

Oh, this might be it. I'd be a little surprised if anyone actually uses blades this way nowadays though. Maybe others can chime in.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wondered if the markings were a QC aid to the manufacturer in the event of one portion of the blade not being sufficiently sharp. The number would indicate which part of the grinding machinery was at fault. I have also seen blades such as the Myatt Daymark which have days of the week markings and I believe the intention was to flip them each day to ensure even wear.

Top Bottom