What's new

Helicopters, I am surrounded by helicopters...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Those young men need all the help they can get, including the prayers you Gents are undoubtedly sending heavenward. I cannot imagine the struggle today's teens face. I was allowed too much freedom as a lad. I grew up too fast. I am sometimes amazed that my wife was able to raise such an innocent yet world wise son. I mostly stayed out of the way. LOL, I do hope to live long enough to ruin at least one grandchild!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Things have changed, but the world has changed too. When I was growing up, we roamed the neighborhood Of course, we had to be home if we heard our name called. But the moms all stayed at home too. Every mom knew who we were and I believe they kept an eye on us.

That neighborhood idea is gone in many cities. Both parents work and kids come home to empty houses. I am grateful for having grown up in the 60's and 70's, but am proud of my kids who have grown up responsible and strong in the 90's and 00's.

I'll never forget what my wife told me, "You must be licensed to drive a car, but there's no requirement to be a parent."
What has changed is the way news is delivered. With a 24 hour news cycle, you have to fill it with something, and the time has to be paid for. That is by revenue. The higher the ratings, the higher the revenue rates. You build rating with sensationalism, bread and circus, whatever you want to call it. Most people now a days think violent crime rates (like child abductions, murders, etc) are at all time highs. They aren’t. They have been trending down for 40 years. The difference now is you hear about a heck of a lot more of them. Social media is another branch of the same tree. There isn’t a higher rate of idiots in the world, they just have it easier to showcase their stupidity for all to see. Now, that last point probably doesn’t have statistics to back it up, and may just be a little self-applied optimism to make me feel better. :)

FarmerTan

What has changed is the way news is delivered. With a 24 hour news cycle, you have to fill it with something, and the time has to be paid for. That is by revenue. The higher the ratings, the higher the revenue rates. You build rating with sensationalism, bread and circus, whatever you want to call it. Most people now a days think violent crime rates (like child abductions, murders, etc) are at all time highs. They aren’t. They have been trending down for 40 years. The difference now is you hear about a heck of a lot more of them. Social media is another branch of the same tree. There isn’t a higher rate of idiots in the world, they just have it easier to showcase their stupidity for all to see. Now, that last point probably doesn’t have statistics to back it up, and may just be a little self-applied optimism to make me feel better. :)
LOL! I think you just called me an I D 10 T !

Any educated person knows that statements like these don’t age well. Just ask Aristotle or Horace. Older generations lamenting younger generations is pseudo intellectual brain fodder. Every generation is generation A, period. I feel my 30 something kids are smarter, kinder, better stewards of their environment, and less prejudiced than myself. As it should be. We left them a sick planet, a failing empire, and an increasingly inequitable and violent world. Ditch the platitudes and become part of the solution. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt my Brothers and Sisters.

Mikhail, historical critiques of younger persons from centuries past (those authentic and those spread around by careless, or even cynical modern writers) circulate often (i.e. in "Dear Abby" columns and such) as reminders that every older generation has criticisms of the young. However, it's not whether or not younger generations have flaws or challenges that's the issue, but the precise nature of those issues - which do change across time - that was and is the discussion at hand. It's something worth airing.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Heck, maybe “goofball”, but there isn’t anything wrong with that in my book. We can’t be serious all the time. :lol:
I've always said that after you grow up, you then grow old, and then you bore young people.

So I'll be like Rod Stewart, and be "Forever Young."

LOOKING mature is okay; I was gettin' kinda tired of beating off all the ladies anyway, but BEING mature is only good for Whiskey!

Mikhail, historical critiques of younger persons from centuries past (those authentic and those spread around by careless, or even cynical modern writers) circulate often (i.e. in "Dear Abby" columns and such) as reminders that every older generation has criticisms of the young. However, it's not whether or not younger generations have flaws or challenges that's the issue, but the precise nature of those issues - which do change across time - that was and is the discussion at hand. It's something worth airing.
It is in your final statement where we diverge.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've always said that after you grow up, you then grow old, and then you bore young people.

So I'll be like Rod Stewart, and be "Forever Young."

LOOKING mature is okay; I was gettin' kinda tired of beating off all the ladies anyway, but BEING mature is only good for Whiskey!
“I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”. Five or so years ago I decided that I didn’t want to grow up to be the grumpy old man stereotype. I’ve been actively trying to improve my outlook. Being grumpy and angry can be exhausting.

FarmerTan

“I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”. Five or so years ago I decided that I didn’t want to grow up to be the grumpy old man stereotype. I’ve been actively trying to improve my outlook. Being grumpy and angry can be exhausting.
Yes it can. I am an optimist by nature, and a pessimist by choice. I truly never met a man I couldn't like, if I made the effort to figger out what makes 'em tick. Unfortunately, it's usually pain, from an old injury, that scabbed over and didn't heal right.

It's hard to hate someone that is hurtin' bad, and that's why they hurt others.

Or I'm full o' tonight's beans.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes it can. I am an optimist by nature, and a pessimist by choice. I truly never met a man I couldn't like, if I made the effort to figger out what makes 'em tick. Unfortunately, it's usually pain, from an old injury, that scabbed over and didn't heal right.

It's hard to hate someone that is hurtin' bad, and that's why they hurt others.

Or I'm full o' tonight's beans.
I am a very empathetic person, maybe too much. Had I gone into the medical field, I’d probably be an emotional mess. For decades I built up walls to protect myself. Only recently have I learned how to lower the walls a bit, temper it, and deal with it. Empathy can be a good thing. We need to learn how to understand each other, our needs, and work on solutions. I am not a religious man in any way, but the Sermon on the Mount part of the Bible (probably familiar to the majority of us here) is a good starting point. It is not a treatise on one particular group’s beliefs- it is one on being a good human being. What it says is true in any decent belief system.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm quite the opposite, I dreamed of the days I could emulate Henry Fonda as Norman Thayer in On Golden Pond.
I much preferred the loveable grumpy old man to the hard and bitter grumpy old man as portrayed by Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino.

Any educated person knows that statements like these don’t age well. Just ask Aristotle or Horace. Older generations lamenting younger generations is pseudo intellectual brain fodder. Every generation is generation A, period. I feel my 30 something kids are smarter, kinder, better stewards of their environment, and less prejudiced than myself. As it should be. We left them a sick planet, a failing empire, and an increasingly inequitable and violent world. Ditch the platitudes and become part of the solution. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt my Brothers and Sisters.

The OP was more about the parents than the kids…

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm quite the opposite, I dreamed of the days I could emulate Henry Fonda as Norman Thayer in On Golden Pond.
I much preferred the loveable grumpy old man to the hard and bitter grumpy old man as portrayed by Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino.
I guess after decades of being a grumpy young man, I finally got tired of it. :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Are you suggesting there is no indictment in the OP of the younger generation of parents?
The OP made no allusion regarding the parents age, indicting or otherwise. His point was their behavior.
Let's not assume facts not in evidence.

The OP made no allusion regarding the parents age, indicting or otherwise. His point was their behavior.
Let's not assume facts not in evidence.

While what you assert is true, I would think that Sherlock Holmes would not find it difficult estimating the approximate age of a mother with a son in high school band.

Top Bottom