What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

Old school shave for me today, meaning 1 razor, 1 soap, no prep lathering - and an old school 'NOS' Rubberset 153 boar.

Nobody whined online about scritch the day this pig came home to the sty. Of course, the first owner then used it once and put it away for good. I'm having to break it in myself.
2EAB63CF-AC6F-43A3-A095-3CBD6BC1B060.jpeg

Razor? The fabled PBOCS - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Bakelite Open Comb Slant. Until it is loaded it appears gentler than the new PAA monster double slants. Once loaded (Feather on shave 1), shave with care. You can get an ultimately close shave. You can easily get blood.

So...
lots of both blade reveal, exposure, and gap combined with...
92E08E1B-69EB-49A6-8476-F43C19C16618.jpeg

excellent edge freedom (from support) from below as well. Those rounded teeth look so innocuous. You would think the blade edge would be willing to touch them. No way! These PBOCS are so close to being devettes.
5EC90F10-5489-494B-8A80-97B0B0D1FA62.jpeg

How this manages to be easier, more comfortable, and more effective than my feared and loathed R41, I can not say.

Lovable. Not a teddy bear. Careful shave. No problems. Super close. Also loved my first exposure to Col Conk Lime AS.

Sept Stirling Slant Fatip Fri 10 SOTD
Soap Stirling Pumpkin Spice
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
Razor Fatip OC Slant
Blade Willy Premium 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M Seville Splash
Excellent soap! Nice delicious scent with a creamy and slick lather....
Shave with razor paired with this blade was very good! So smooth and very comfortable in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish. Unfortunately 2 red dots...
This razor is good, blade is so rigidly held in place, considered mild for me & quite efficient but 1 thing I don't like is the dang blade alignment issue. Aftershaves were awesome!
20210910_094302.jpg

I got a great shave in with my Razorock Wunderbar tonight. The shave was as good or better than shaves with much more expensive gear.
What I really have been dwelling on now, is the fact I had such a smooth 2 ND pass ATG which I very rarely do because of blade flex, hope, or chatter actions. Sorry no pics.

Does anyone use slants almost exclusively ?

wunderbar + GSB(3). Blade was done by the end of the shave, sharpness decreased significantly. I still feel some burn afterwards. The 7oc yellow was better in every way (sharper, smoother and no irritation). It replaced GSB on my list.
I feel I'm getting better with the razor, I can skip the cleanup pass.

I got a great shave in with my Razorock Wunderbar tonight. The shave was as good or better than shaves with much more expensive gear.
What I really have been dwelling on now, is the fact I had such a smooth 2 ND pass ATG which I very rarely do because of blade flex, hope, or chatter actions. Sorry no pics.

Does anyone use slants almost exclusively ?
I use either the RR German 37 or Wunderbar every day. I also use them in combination with either a Gamechanger .84 or a SLOC.

Today was almost the same as yesterday:
Razor(s): Razorock German 37 w/7 O'clock yellow followed by RR GC .84 with another yellow
Brush: Razorock Chubby (one of my favorites)
Soap: RR Irish Countryside

I use either the RR German 37 or Wunderbar every day. I also use them in combination with either a Gamechanger .84 or a SLOC.

Today was almost the same as yesterday:
Razor(s): Razorock German 37 w/7 O'clock yellow followed by RR GC .84 with another yellow
Brush: Razorock Chubby (one of my favorites)
Soap: RR Irish Countryside
Well that's interesting. What do the game changers just do a better job at 2nd or 3rd pass or around the nose or something.
I mean I could totally see this because I've got razors that works sweet around certain areas but not as good around others.

September 10
PAA El Fantasma
Tried a little bit of a tighter adjustment today. Tightened fully then came back a 1/8 turn. This might be the sweet spot. Got a one pass DFS on my cheeks with very mild feeling. Didn’t work as well on my neck, might need to work on my technique or simply tighten up fully for that part of my shave.
1D325CF2-62C6-4EA9-A686-0B1644781015.jpeg

Well that's interesting. What do the game changers just do a better job at 2nd or 3rd pass or around the nose or something.
I mean I could totally see this because I've got razors that works sweet around certain areas but not as good around others.
Sometimes I use the SLOC or GC .84 as the first pass :c9:.
. . . sometimes the second. They both do an excellent job directly beneath the nose. The G37 makes me pay more attention in that area.
I like using more than one razor in a shave simply because. . . . . they just shave differently :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Friday September 10, 2021 (SLANTember 3nd)
Razor: PAA El Fantasma/RR UFO handle
Blade: Shimmed Astra SP (2)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley

IMG_0550[1].JPG

I think PAA nailed it with the "Monster" slants, at least with this one. It's pretty faithful to the Fasan Double Slant ancestry, possibly a touch milder and certainly with better blade clamping than the Fasan I have. A little too mild, but that's easily fixed with a shim. Now it still feels mild and "safe" but the shave is pepped up just enough to be interesting. Even doing an extra ATG pass to pick up some spots I was done faster than with more aggressive razors that would cause me to "drive more carefully."

O.H.

More wanton destruction? No, @twhite designed and built this one from scratch. @PLANofMAN gave it just a little more grip at the top of the handle. And I'm the lucky guy that gets to shave with it.
D5831C07-AA4A-4FCD-AEC6-07CF0A18784C.jpeg

Significant blade gap, superb blade clamping, and enough mass in the baseplate to give it the inertial stability and momentum that other aluminum alloy razors may lack.

Feather (2)
Col Conk Lime soap / boar - for prep
Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros / Plisson badger - for shave lather
Witch hazel and Col Conk Lime AS aftercare

Top Bottom