What's new

Vector Ti Release Date?

Great write ups here guys! Mine is out for delivery today, yay! Also by some divine act, my Try a Blade order magically shows out for delivery today too. It seemed this was lost as I ordered the blades several weeks ago, so I quickly ordered more blades from Amazon as I would have been devastated to receive my Vector, but have no blades for it!

FWIW I am not experiencing any complications loading a blade - I just match the curved side of the razor blade with the curved base and top plates. I think so long as you think about it that way you cannot get it wrong. I also have had no problems with engaging the threads when screwing the handle onto the rectangular post - I have been holding the assembled head by the sides and holding the handle perpendicular with my other hand to screw it on. Anyway, that always worked smoothly for me so far.

Until now I didn’t have to apply pressure during the shave as long as I had the right angle. But that’s on my hair, so it may be different for others. When I felt the blade bounce, correcting the angle resolved it for me without applying pressure (at least I don’t think I applied pressure). As the blade edge dulls I presume it will be a different story, but I haven’t shaved enough times with the razor for that yet.

Still, I did wonder if I would like the added weight of the steel Vector even more. I’m sure it is a different feeling and I would like to compare them some day. Will surely come down to personal preference which weight feels more ‘right’.

FWIW I am not experiencing any complications loading a blade - I just match the curved side of the razor blade with the curved base and top plates. I think so long as you think about it that way you cannot get it wrong. I also have had no problems with engaging the threads when screwing the handle onto the rectangular post - I have been holding the assembled head by the sides and holding the handle perpendicular with my other hand to screw it on. Anyway, that always worked smoothly for me so far.

Check out this method that I use and recommend. Note that I'm a lefty so you may need to switch hands.

A couple of niggles...I got the machined finish because I love my Timeless in that finish. But, the Vector Ti machine finish is not as "finished" as the Timeless machine finish. (I think the Timeless is bead-blasted or something.) On the Vector Ti, I see machine lines all over the cap. I just ordered a polished Vector Ti and emailed Shane requesting a return for the machined one. (He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm sure he's swamped!) I actually don't think this is a flaw. I think it's normal. But, I just got spoiled by the Timeless.

Also, the Vector is a pain to load. First of all, it's counterintuitive. What seems like the front is actually the back. No wonder all the "pros" on YouTube are screwing it up. At first, I thought Kensurfs, et al. were just idiots (or careless). They're not.

Second, because the head is so small and compact, it is difficult to remove the blade. This is especially difficult mid-shave. I've been trying different AC blades, but this is extremely difficult. Luckily, I think I've settled on "my blade" (Schick Proline), so this shouldn't be a big issue going forward.

Finally, the rectangular post feels rough and weird. Twice I had to stop and re-thread the handle so as not to force the issue and do damage.

Good feedback here! A few notes:

Timeless doesn't offer a machined finish to my knowledge as theirs is matte media blasted. Our machined finish is intended to show the machine marks.

Loading, unloading, and threading all become second nature after a few shaves. You'll be able to thread the razor blindfolded pretty soon. For ascertaining which side is the front, just look at how the lines on the back of the base plate are continued in the cap. Also, make sure you check out the video I linked to in the comment above for loading technique. Don't worry too much about damaging the threads. In the thousands of razors we've sold with this post design, we've never had one come back for damaged threads and only two or three have failed in any way.

Great write up Ken. How do you compare the shave quality to the General? I have the General and I'm thinking about getting a SS Vector (Ti will be too light for me). I find the General very smooth and efficient, but I do have to do some buffing at the end to get BBS (like most of my razors). Can you compare the two based on shave comfort and performance? Thanks.
Thanks, gdawg!

The V2 is smoother than the Vector. The Vector has more blade feel, but it doesn’t feel dangerous (like the Blackbird lol). If you find the right blade, it actually feels nice.
The Vector is definitely more efficient…I would say it would either eliminate a pass or turn a DFS into a BBS.
But, the game changer is how nimble the Vector is. You will feel totally in control of that blade…no more guesswork.

Thanks, gdawg!

The V2 is smoother than the Vector. The Vector has more blade feel, but it doesn’t feel dangerous (like the Blackbird lol). If you find the right blade, it actually feels nice.
The Vector is definitely more efficient…I would say it would either eliminate a pass or turn a DFS into a BBS.
But, the game changer is how nimble the Vector is. You will feel totally in control of that blade…no more guesswork.

Thanks Ken. I was hoping you were going to say if you have the General, then don't bother with the Vector....:oops: Sounds like the Vector provides better performance. I don't mind blade feel...the Blackbird is one of my favorite razors. I may have to give the Vector a try then.

Thanks Ken. I was hoping you were going to say if you have the General, then don't bother with the Vector....:oops: Sounds like the Vector provides better performance. I don't mind blade feel...the Blackbird is one of my favorite razors. I may have to give the Vector a try then.
Completely different feel and performance. If you like the Blackbird and the V2, then you’re in for the ride of a lifetime 👍🏻

Thanks, gdawg!

I agree with this 100%. Some people swear that the Vector is the smoothest razor they’ve ever used. I’ve never felt that way, although that doesn't mean I find it to be “harsh” in the least bit. The General is smoother feeling in that it has less blade feel and less feedback. But the Vector outperforms in every other metric possible.

Good feedback here! A few notes:

Timeless doesn't offer a machined finish to my knowledge as theirs is matte media blasted. Our machined finish is intended to show the machine marks.

Loading, unloading, and threading all become second nature after a few shaves. You'll be able to thread the razor blindfolded pretty soon. For ascertaining which side is the front, just look at how the lines on the back of the base plate are continued in the cap. Also, make sure you check out the video I linked to in the comment above for loading technique. Don't worry too much about damaging the threads. In the thousands of razors we've sold with this post design, we've never had one come back for damaged threads and only two or three have failed in any way.
Thanks for the info, Shane! I guess I just don't like the machined finish. I would like to exchange it for a polished one. Actually, my favorite is 'matte media blasted' a la Timeless, but that is not an option.
Thanks for the video. I think I can now handle the loading.lol It's the unloading when wet that seems to cause me the most problems. The blade sticks to the baseplate like glue.
Glad to hear about the robustness of the post threads!

I agree with this 100%. Some people swear that the Vector is the smoothest razor they’ve ever used. I’ve never felt that way, although that doesn't mean I find it to be “harsh” in the least bit. The General is smoother feeling in that it has less blade feel and less feedback. But the Vector outperforms in every other metric possible.
Thanks for this info. A General v2 on a Ti handle is my go-to razor for close easy shaves and I like the amount of blade feel that I get from. I've tried the SS Vector that was on loan and liked it, but thought it was not different enough for me to own it as well. (I found it to be slightly more efficient and with slightly more blade feel - but not enough to make me want to bite.) The Ti Vector is definitely on my radar for trying out sometime, but I need to offload a portion of my existing razor collection before I buy another of any type.

First shave with the Ti; exact same experience as the SS, though obviously lighter and therefore more secure grip, less fear of it slipping, particularly ATG. But the Vector SS was already relatively light, and it had never slipped out my fingers before…

So is it worth it? Depends. I like some, but not too much heft to my razors. It’s going to be a tough decision whether to keep or not.

So, finally got me some titanium after USPS took their sweeeeeet time (I understand 3 days from Cali to Illinois... It's the 5 days from Chicago distribution center to the burbs that befuddles me).

Only 1 rushed shave to report so far, so won't go into too much depth.
Comfortable... Yes
Smooth... Mostly (for me, an aluminum General it is not, but neither is the SS general v2)
Nimble... You betcha (it's the Ferrari of AC SEs)
Efficient... Definitely
Weight... Ideal (for me, Ti version much better than SS)

The Vector Ti may just be the greatest razor ever made...

IMG-1914.jpg

P.S. Get the polished version (on the right). It's much nicer than the machined version in person!

Now that I have used my Ti Vector every day for almost 2 weeks, I can honestly say that I love it. Until now, I had not spent more than $100 on a razor, so this was a BIG step up, and I was nervous about it. I knew that Blackland has the 30 day return policy though, which made me feel better about trying it.
I shave my head and face daily, and have not gotten a single cut or weeper. After the first few uses, I can maneuver it quickly and efficiently, practically on autopilot (with some care of course) I get a BBS head shave, which I never could with a DE, and always went back to carts previously. But the Vector is the one. I won't give up my aluminum Karve, I love that thing too, but I am completely satisfied with having the Vector as my only SE and Karve as my only DE. I am also enjoying trying out different artist club blades. So far the Feather Pro Guard and KAI Titan Mild are favorites, but I still have several more to go through in my Try a Blade order.

My initial impressions...

The Vector Ti is certainly the most unique razor I have ever used. It is so light (but substantial enough for me) and so nimble (especially with my Timeless Ti Crown handle...Is that cheating?lol) that it's almost as if it's hardly there at all. It's the closest thing that I've experienced to a pure blade feel...but not in the threatening way that the Blackbird felt. Perhaps the difference is the blades themselves - AC vs DE. So far, I've tried 6 blades, but the one I find most comfortable yet efficient is the Schick Proline. But, whatever blade, the Vector Ti allows the shaver complete control. You're the boss. Because it is virtually weightless, the shaver must decide exactly how much pressure to use. Initially (because I feared the Vector), I used too little pressure...so little in fact that the blade started skipping/bouncing without cutting much...and this was with great prep plus a new Proline blade. So, I immediately increased the pressure from, say, 1% to 10%, and it was night and day!

A couple of niggles...I got the machined finish because I love my Timeless in that finish. But, the Vector Ti machine finish is not as "finished" as the Timeless machine finish. (I think the Timeless is bead-blasted or something.) On the Vector Ti, I see machine lines all over the cap. I just ordered a polished Vector Ti and emailed Shane requesting a return for the machined one. (He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm sure he's swamped!) I actually don't think this is a flaw. I think it's normal. But, I just got spoiled by the Timeless.

Also, the Vector is a pain to load. First of all, it's counterintuitive. What seems like the front is actually the back. No wonder all the "pros" on YouTube are screwing it up. At first, I thought Kensurfs, et al. were just idiots (or careless). They're not.

Second, because the head is so small and compact, it is difficult to remove the blade. This is especially difficult mid-shave. I've been trying different AC blades, but this is extremely difficult. Luckily, I think I've settled on "my blade" (Schick Proline), so this shouldn't be a big issue going forward.

Finally, the rectangular post feels rough and weird. Twice I had to stop and re-thread the handle so as not to force the issue and do damage.

But, despite these minor issues, I think Shane has done something no other razor manufacturer has even come close to doing. He has made the razor an extension of your hand. It feels as if I have a blade on the tip of my finger and I'm in complete control. That alone is worth the price of admission.
hi Kennyg2019,

Do you have problems sometimes to load a Schick Proline in the vector ?

I've been using the vector SS since it came out, and the vector Ti upon release this summer. I've gotten used to load the blades (feather pros and super, kai's, Kamisori etc...) even though It is not my favourite razor to load, it is by far my favorite to shave.

Recently, I've gotten a pack proline p-30 and I'm having trouble fitting the blade. they seems ever so slightly smaller.

I’ve got the Ti and have found the Schick and Feathers load easily with no effort. It’s the Kai ProTouch MG (guarded) that seem like they are slightly smaller, they are very difficult for me to load and unload onto my razor

hi Kennyg2019,

Do you have problems sometimes to load a Schick Proline in the vector ?

I've been using the vector SS since it came out, and the vector Ti upon release this summer. I've gotten used to load the blades (feather pros and super, kai's, Kamisori etc...) even though It is not my favourite razor to load, it is by far my favorite to shave.

Recently, I've gotten a pack proline p-30 and I'm having trouble fitting the blade. they seems ever so slightly smaller.
No, none at all! Perhaps you got a defective cartridge? 🤔

Same here. I find it difficult to load and remove a Schick Proline blade from the Vector Ti, but it does give a terrific shave.
I had difficulty removing all blades initially because I was trying while it was wet. Now, I just wait till dry and it's no problem.

I think when you're dealing with the smallest blades and the smallest head, there's bound to be a learning curve. But, as you've discovered, it's worth the effort!

No, in this case it's not a learning curve, it's a too tight fit. I have to apply quite a bit of force to get the blade to snap into place. I have tried blades from two different vendors with the same result. When new heads are available the vendor will be replacing it.

Top Bottom